|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Lisa's was destroyed by Mrs. Kellum?
2. What Lisa and Sam realize they are being followed in Chapter 23, how do they loose their perusers?
3. When Sam sees the village of Yablonya from the helicopter, what does he realize?
4. What did the Russians do to Fisher to make it seem like he died this way?
5. At the church, who does Sam recognize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Tim Landis' life at the Charm School?
2. What are Lisa and Sam given while at the Charm School?
3. How do the Charm School children differ from the American Embassy children? How are they the same?
4. Why do Lisa and Sam become uncomfortable with the Kellums?
5. What Americans do Lisa and Sam meet?
6. After Lisa and Sam are captured, what are they forced to do?
7. Why does Lisa decide to accept the "teaching" position at the Charm School?
8. Is Seth a double crosser to his "friend" Sam?
9. Wat does Lisa enjoy about churches?
10. What is each building, or area constructed as within the Charm School similar to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the Cold War the last time that America came close to being involved with World War III? Explain your thoughts.
How was the Cold War crisis finally avoided? Do you think it was do to the Americans inability to set up a Russian Charm School?
Essay Topic 2
The pilots and POWs held at the Charm School have been there since the Vietnam War. While they know what it is like to be American, because they are American, the longer they are away from the US, the less exposure they have to things in American culture.
Is the "curriculum" used by the Charm School stale or outdated?
How is the Charm School a vacuum of a specific time in American culture?
Essay Topic 3
Through Lisa's eyes, the reader is able to fall in love with Soviet Russia. Although Russia's beauty is being tarnished by the Soviets, Lisa cannot forget the beauty and wonderfulness of the city.
Describe how DeMille uses Lisa's character to see the Old Russia and the beauty the city inspires.
How does Lisa then inspire Sam to understand the truth and history of the human spirit?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)