|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Sam and Lisa leave Russia in 5 days?
2. In the 1970s, hundreds and thousands of _________________ were being held in Vietnam were handed over to the Russians in exchange for missiles.
3. Where did Seth often send Lisa while they were dating?
4. How do Russian authorities insist that Fisher died?
5. What event has Lisa's ex-boyfriend invited her to go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they find out at Fisher has died, what must they do?
2. What does Sam think is interesting about this person?
3. By driving deeper into the forest of Borodino, what do the two discover?
4. As the novel begins, how does DeMille's style narrate the story?
5. Why is Sam beginning to get suspicious concerning Lisa?
6. Why does Sam make the trek to Moscow to see Valentine Surikov?
7. Why does Banks tell Sam and Lisa they must leave Russia in five days?
8. What disturbs Lisa about her boss, Kaye.
9. What unsettles Lisa and Sam when they are debriefed by Banks?
10. When Gregory Fisher calls the embassy, who he is patched through to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what an idealist Communist State would be like.
How did Cold War Russia live up to this purest form of Communism and how did it fail?
During the Cold War, what caused Americans to be so incredibly scared of Russians?
Essay Topic 2
When Same and Lisa learn of the function of the Charm School, they begin to think of people that could possible be Russian spies.
Why is Sam very quick to believe that Lisa is a Charm School graduate? Is it because he is feeling something for her?
Is Sam afraid to let his feelings be free because he might get hurt, the same way he was hurt with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
While imprisoned, Lisa and Sam meet many prisoners with a lot of hope. Even though everyone else thinks they are dead, they hold pride in the fact that they are and always will be Americans.
Why does this lead Sam and Lisa to feel disappointment concerning the US's plan to make their own Charm School?
How does this dishonor the memory of Landis and the other dead prisoners?
Often Americans think they are better than others. How does this plan, make America just as evil and wrong as the Russians.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)