|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't Lisa like about her ex-boyfriend's career?
2. Why will they have to stay overnight in Mozhaisk?
3. Why must Sam and Lisa leave Russia in 5 days?
4. Why does Lisa decline her ex-boyfriend's invitation?
5. How does Sam get the two guards off of their trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. At work, what is Lisa working on that gives her a headache?
2. When Sam and Bill arrive at the hotel, what do they discover concerning Fisher?
3. What does Sam think is interesting about this person?
4. After they find out at Fisher has died, what must they do?
5. What do Sam and Lisa notice about the people in the village?
6. After not finding Fisher at the hotel, what happens to Sam and Bill?
7. As Lisa's character is introduced into the story, what does the reader learn about her personal and professional life?
8. As the end of the section, even though Sam and Lisa are being forced out of the country, what do they do?
9. Why does Sam make the trek to Moscow to see Valentine Surikov?
10. What unsettles Lisa and Sam when they are debriefed by Banks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through Lisa's eyes, the reader is able to fall in love with Soviet Russia. Although Russia's beauty is being tarnished by the Soviets, Lisa cannot forget the beauty and wonderfulness of the city.
Describe how DeMille uses Lisa's character to see the Old Russia and the beauty the city inspires.
How does Lisa then inspire Sam to understand the truth and history of the human spirit?
Essay Topic 2
Because Soviet Russia dictates that people not act for themselves or be creative, would it be easier for American spies to infiltrate Russian society through a Russian Charm School? Why or Why not? Will Russian society be easier to copy because technology, art, culture will change much more slowly?
Then consider, what are the moral implications of creating a charm school.
Essay Topic 3
Do books such as The Charm School, make social movements and political action such as McCarthyism seem like a good idea?
What is McCarthyism and why don't you think DeMille neglects to introduce it into the novel?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)