|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is interesting about the meeting with Burov that almost resulted in the arrest of Sam and Lisa?
2. What does Lisa recall that gave her a headache when she saw this band perform live.
3. What does the black-marketeer, Misha, reveal to Sam about Fisher?
4. In the 1970s, hundreds and thousands of _________________ were being held in Vietnam were handed over to the Russians in exchange for missiles.
5. Where do the two think they find Mrs. Ivanova's Charm School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam beginning to get suspicious concerning Lisa?
2. When Sam and Bill arrive at the hotel, what do they discover concerning Fisher?
3. Why does Sam make the trek to Moscow to see Valentine Surikov?
4. By driving deeper into the forest of Borodino, what do the two discover?
5. As the end of the section, even though Sam and Lisa are being forced out of the country, what do they do?
6. Why does Banks tell Sam and Lisa they must leave Russia in five days?
7. What disturbs Lisa about her boss, Kaye.
8. Why does Fisher's calls ultimately end up with Sam Hollis?
9. Why are Lisa and Sam forced to kill two KGB guards.
10. When Gregory Fisher calls the embassy, who he is patched through to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through Lisa's eyes, the reader is able to fall in love with Soviet Russia. Although Russia's beauty is being tarnished by the Soviets, Lisa cannot forget the beauty and wonderfulness of the city.
Describe how DeMille uses Lisa's character to see the Old Russia and the beauty the city inspires.
How does Lisa then inspire Sam to understand the truth and history of the human spirit?
Essay Topic 2
As the Russian "students" learn to be Americans, they are conflicted with whether or not they will remain "Russian."
Are there many reasons for the Russians to stay loyal to a country that does not afford them many rights? Explain why or Why not.
How can the Russian government force its spies to stay loyal to them?
Essay Topic 3
Do books such as The Charm School, make social movements and political action such as McCarthyism seem like a good idea?
What is McCarthyism and why don't you think DeMille neglects to introduce it into the novel?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)