|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Healys' attack, where do Mort and Jimmie go?
2. What does the schoolteacher show the brothers?
3. In Chapter 13, what do Dowie and Dud read an article about?
4. What does Mort do in the morning in Chapter 11?
5. After the violent attack on the Newby household, who does NOT flee with Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jimmie while he is wading in a stream?
2. How does Mort react to the murder of Mrs. Healy and the baby?
3. What happens to Mort in Chapter 14?
4. What news does Mr. Hyberry receive in Chapter 14, and how does he react?
5. What does Rev. Neville tell his wife in Chapter 10, and why does he tell her this?
6. According to Mr. Newby, why does he stop giving the Blacksmiths' groceries?
7. Why does Jimmie send Gilda and the baby away?
8. Why does Dowie Stead go after Jimmie and Mort?
9. How is McCreadie getting along with the brothers?
10. What happens to Gilda in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the value system of the white population to that of Jimmie's tribe. In what way do these differences affect Jimmie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Jimmie and Gilda. What is it a representation of? Use evidence from the novel to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Jimmie is half-Aborigine and half-white. How does Jimmie's struggle with identity affect his life emotionally? In what way are his actions affected by his struggle with identity?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)