|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Newby say before she dies?
2. Who does Jimmie want to kill instead of Mr. Newby?
3. What do Mort and Jimmie reach by midday in Chapter 11?
4. Why do Jimmie and Mort ride on cows?
5. After the violent attack on the Newby household, who does NOT flee with Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mort paint his face white?
2. What place does McCreadie show the brothers?
3. What does Dowie find in the schoolteacher's home?
4. What news does Mr. Hyberry receive in Chapter 14, and how does he react?
5. What happens when Mort and Jimmie find a little house with an old couple inside?
6. Why do Jimmie and Mort go to the Healy's house?
7. How does Mort react to the murder of Mrs. Healy and the baby?
8. What happens at Pilbarra Camp?
9. According to Mr. Newby, why does he stop giving the Blacksmiths' groceries?
10. What does Jimmie promise Mort and why does he make this promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is based on a real-life account of Jimmy Governor, who went on a killing spree after facing relentless racial discrimination. In your opinion, is the novel unbiased, or does the author write in favor of either Jimmie or the white community? Provide evidence from the novel to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the value system of the white population to that of Jimmie's tribe. In what way do these differences affect Jimmie?
Essay Topic 3
Research the plight of the mixed-race individuals in Australia around the time that the story is set. Write a report of your research and how it correlates to the portrayal of Jimmie, who is mixed-race.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)