|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie soon believe is the best way to bettering his life?
2. Who is Peter?
3. How many miles does Jimmie walk by noon in Chapter 5?
4. Who does Gilda fear and hate?
5. What role does Rev. Neville offer Jimmy at his new church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are we told happened in 1891?
2. Why is Gilda glad that she will be able to give birth in the main house?
3. What does Mr. Newby do that is just like Jimmie's previous employers?
4. How was Jimmie punished for Healy's dissatisfaction with the fence?
5. Describe Gilda.
6. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
7. Why does Jimmie leave home after only staying there for two days?
8. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
9. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
10. Why is Farrell satisfied with Jimmie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How significant is McCreadie in the capture of Jimmie in The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith.
Essay Topic 3
Research the plight of the mixed-race individuals in Australia around the time that the story is set. Write a report of your research and how it correlates to the portrayal of Jimmie, who is mixed-race.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)