|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jimmy go with the Nevilles?
2. What does Jimmie do with his police uniform?
3. What do the police give Jimmie at his new job?
4. How deep is the grave that Jimmie digs for the white man?
5. Who is Morton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Newby angry at Jimmie and what does he do about it?
2. How is Gilda doing since the birth?
3. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
4. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
5. How was Jimmie punished for Healy's dissatisfaction with the fence?
6. Why doesn't Jimmie tell Farrell what he knew about Harry Edwards?
7. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
8. What does Mr. Newby do that is just like Jimmie's previous employers?
9. What sort of work do Jimmie and Mort do?
10. Who are the Nevilles and what is their role in Jimmie's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the torment and guilt faced by Dowie Stead. Why does he feel this way and what does it cause him to do?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of the white characters in the novel. Were they all racist towards Aborigines? Why did the author choose to depict them the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author's use of third-person perspective in The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith affected the telling of the story. What does the reader know that the characters do not because of this? What is left a mystery?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)