|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hires Jimmy to make a forest fence?
2. What does the postmaster's son reveal to Jimmie and the constable?
3. What year is it at the beginning of the novel?
4. How has Gilda felt since giving birth?
5. What does Jimmy know after seeing the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilda.
2. What does Mr. Newby do that is just like Jimmie's previous employers?
3. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
4. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
5. Who are the Nevilles and what is their role in Jimmie's life?
6. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
7. Why is Mr. Newby angry at Jimmie and what does he do about it?
8. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
9. Who does Jimmie fall in love with in Chapter 2?
10. Why is Gilda glad that she will be able to give birth in the main house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Jimmie killing mainly women and not men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss discrimination in The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith. Who is affected by discrimination, and what is the root cause of it?
Essay Topic 3
Research the plight of the mixed-race individuals in Australia around the time that the story is set. Write a report of your research and how it correlates to the portrayal of Jimmie, who is mixed-race.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)