|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr.Newby say he has stopped giving Jimmie and Gilda advances on groceries?
(a) Jimmie has turned the place into a blacks' camp.
(b) Mr. Newby is having financial problems.
(c) Gilda has been asking for too many groceries.
(d) Jimmie has fallen behind in his work.
2. What does the postmaster's son reveal to Jimmie and the constable?
(a) His sister, MaryBeth, is trapped under a collapsed roof.
(b) A riot has broken out in the town centre.
(c) The postmaster has died.
(d) A boy named Jack Fisher had disappeared a year ago.
3. Who is Morton?
(a) Jimmie's friend.
(b) Jimmie's uncle.
(c) Jimmie's half brother.
(d) Jimmie's boss.
4. What do Jimmie and the others carry the dead man from Verona in?
(a) A cart.
(b) A wagon.
(c) A rug,
(d) A blanket.
5. What job does Jimmie tell Wongee Tom he wants to get?
(a) Sheep sheering.
(b) Coal digging.
(c) Cattle- herding.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jimmie disappeared from the camp in 1891, what did his mother think happened to him?
2. What does Jimmie think of Mrs Healy?
3. Who is Peter?
4. What did Jimmie say he had been doing in his absence?
5. Why does Jimmy go with the Nevilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are we told happened in 1891?
2. Why was Healy unhappy with the fence Jimmie built?
3. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
4. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
5. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
6. Why doesn't Jimmie tell Farrell what he knew about Harry Edwards?
7. Describe Gilda.
8. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
9. Why is Jimmie awakened one night by someone in Verona?
10. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)