|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from Jimmie's Saturday night out with Wongee Tom?
(a) Jimmie makes a new friend.
(b) Jimmie injures himself.
(c) Jimmie meets a girl.
(d) Jimmie gets arrested.
2. What does the postmaster's son reveal to Jimmie and the constable?
(a) His sister, MaryBeth, is trapped under a collapsed roof.
(b) A riot has broken out in the town centre.
(c) A boy named Jack Fisher had disappeared a year ago.
(d) The postmaster has died.
3. How many miles does Jimmie walk by noon in Chapter 5?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Five miles.
4. How does Jimmie's progress with the fence go?
(a) He doesn't finish at all.
(b) He finishes two days late.
(c) He finishes early.
(d) He finishes on time.
5. What is unique about Jimmie's heritage?
(a) He is half white, half aborigine.
(b) He is white but raised by aboriginals.
(c) He is black but raised by white people.
(d) He is half aborigine, half Chinese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie tell the contractor after the contractor tries to short-change him?
2. How deep is the grave that Jimmie digs for the white man?
3. When Mort sees Jimmie in Chapter 7, what does he do?
4. How does Mr. Healy respond to Jimmie's suggestion of why Healy won't provide the document?
5. Who brings Jimmie his initiation tooth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Jimmie punished for Healy's dissatisfaction with the fence?
2. Who are the Nevilles and what is their role in Jimmie's life?
3. Why was Healy unhappy with the fence Jimmie built?
4. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
5. What does Miss Graf do to help Gilda and how does Gilda react?
6. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
7. Why do Jimmie and Mort stop working for Claude Lewis?
8. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
9. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
10. What does Mrs. Newby do for Gilda?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)