|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jimmie afraid that Farrell will do after he leaves work?
(a) Leave the door unlocked.
(b) Hurt Harry Edwards.
(c) Leave the candles lit.
(d) Get lost on the way home.
2. What does Lewis threaten to do if he finds fault with Jimmie's work?
(a) Beat Jimmie.
(b) Fire Jimmie.
(c) Cutback Jimmie's workload.
(d) Cut Jimmie's wages.
3. For what reason does Jimmie suggests Healy won't provide him with the document?
(a) Healy is stingy.
(b) Healy is racist.
(c) Healy is illiterate.
(d) Healy is immoral.
4. Why does the minister's wife think Jimmie is cutting down wood?
(a) To impress the minister.
(b) To steal wood.
(c) To earn money.
(d) To kill time.
5. Who offers Gilda new employment?
(a) Mrs. Newby.
(b) Mrs. Hayes.
(c) Mrs. Healy.
(d) Miss Graf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jimmie say he had been doing in his absence?
2. How was the birth of Gilda's baby?
3. What do Jimmie and Mort do one morning because of Lewis's treatment of them?
4. What does Morton often do?
5. How deep is the grave that Jimmie digs for the white man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of work do Jimmie and Mort do?
2. Describe Gilda.
3. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
4. How is Gilda doing since the birth?
5. Why doesn't Jimmie tell Farrell what he knew about Harry Edwards?
6. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
7. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
8. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
9. What are we told happened in 1891?
10. Who do the Nevilles suggest Jimmie should attempt to marry, and why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)