|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has Jimmie Blacksmith married?
(a) An aborigine woman.
(b) A white woman.
(c) A distant cousin.
(d) A childhood friend.
2. How is Mr. Healy dressed when Jimmie sees him in the morning in Chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Healy is dressed for a funeral.
(b) Mr. Healy is dressed slovenly.
(c) Mr. Healy is wearing overalls.
(d) Mr. Healy is dressed for church.
3. What complaint does Healy have about the fence?
(a) The fence isn't sturdy enough.
(b) The fence is too short.
(c) The fence posts are misplaced.
(d) The fence is crooked.
4. Where does The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith take place?
(c) New Zealand.
5. Who hires Jimmy to make a forest fence?
(a) An Irish farmer.
(b) A Welsh farmer.
(c) An American farmer.
(d) A German farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it at the beginning of the novel?
2. What do Jimmie and Mort do one morning because of Lewis's treatment of them?
3. When is Jimmie expected to accompany the constable?
4. What is Tabidgi's "white" name?
5. How much money does Healy pay Jimmie for building the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jimmie fall in love with in Chapter 2?
2. Why might Jimmie have decided to drop the issue rather than argue with Healy about the quality of the fence?
3. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
4. Why do Jimmie and Mort stop working for Claude Lewis?
5. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
6. Describe Gilda.
7. Who are the Nevilles and what is their role in Jimmie's life?
8. Who do the Nevilles suggest Jimmie should attempt to marry, and why?
9. What does Miss Graf do to help Gilda and how does Gilda react?
10. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)