|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Gilda new employment?
(a) Mrs. Newby.
(b) Miss Graf.
(c) Mrs. Hayes.
(d) Mrs. Healy.
2. Who kills a white man in Verona?
(a) Tabidgi Jackie Smolders.
(b) Jimmie Blacksmith.
(c) Claude Lewis.
(d) Harry Edwards.
3. What does Gilda think about the job offer?
(a) It is bogus.
(b) It is tenuous.
(c) It is generous.
(d) It is suspicious.
4. What complaint does Healy have about the fence?
(a) The fence isn't sturdy enough.
(b) The fence is too short.
(c) The fence posts are misplaced.
(d) The fence is crooked.
5. When Mort sees Jimmie in Chapter 7, what does he do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie Smolders carry with him on his trip to Wallah?
2. When is Jimmie expected to accompany the constable?
3. Why does Mr.Newby say he has stopped giving Jimmie and Gilda advances on groceries?
4. What year is it at the beginning of the novel?
5. Where is the church overseen by Rev. Neville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jimmie awakened one night by someone in Verona?
2. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
3. Why is Mr. Newby angry at Jimmie and what does he do about it?
4. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
5. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
6. Who does Jimmie fall in love with in Chapter 2?
7. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
8. What sort of work do Jimmie and Mort do?
9. How is Gilda doing since the birth?
10. Why does Tabidgi Jackie Smolders visit Jimmie?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)