|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Jimmie tell his relatives he does not have?
(b) A soul.
2. Which direction does Jimmie go when he leaves Brentwood?
3. What does Jimmie do with his police uniform?
(a) Jimmie burns it.
(b) Jimmie gives it to Mort.
(c) Jimmie returns it.
(d) Jimmie throws it in the forest.
4. What does Lewis threaten to do if he finds fault with Jimmie's work?
(a) Fire Jimmie.
(b) Cutback Jimmie's workload.
(c) Cut Jimmie's wages.
(d) Beat Jimmie.
5. Who was concerned for Jimmie in his absence from the camp?
(b) Rev. Neville.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it at the beginning of the novel?
2. How does Jimmie deal with Healy's complaints?
3. How has Gilda felt since giving birth?
4. What does the kitchen maid, Gilda, look like?
5. When is Jimmie expected to accompany the constable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Graf do to help Gilda and how does Gilda react?
2. Describe Gilda.
3. What does Jimmie promise Mort and why does he make this promise?
4. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
5. What happens to Jimmie while he is wading in a stream?
6. What happens to Dowie at the end of the novel?
7. What does Dowie mean when he says that he has become a figure of sentiment that must be maintained?
8. What sort of work do Jimmie and Mort do?
9. Why does Mort paint his face white?
10. How does Rev. Neville feel about the events of the novel?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)