|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Newby tell Gilda she can have the baby?
(a) At the hospital.
(b) At the main house.
(c) At the midwives' house.
(d) In Gilda's room.
2. Why does Jimmy go with the Nevilles?
(a) The Nevilles are like family to Jimmie.
(b) Jimmie wants to distance himself from his family.
(c) Jimmie thinks the job might improve his status.
(d) Jimmie has nowhere else to go.
3. What does Jimmie think of Gilda?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She smells.
(c) She is old.
(d) She is stupid.
4. What is Jimmie afraid that Farrell will do after he leaves work?
(a) Hurt Harry Edwards.
(b) Leave the candles lit.
(c) Get lost on the way home.
(d) Leave the door unlocked.
5. When Mort sees Jimmie in Chapter 7, what does he do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morton often do?
2. What does Jackie Smolders carry with him on his trip to Wallah?
3. What is Tabidgi's "white" name?
4. Why does Mr.Newby say he has stopped giving Jimmie and Gilda advances on groceries?
5. What document does Healy withhold when Jimmie finishes the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
2. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
3. Why is Jimmie awakened one night by someone in Verona?
4. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
5. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
6. What are we told happened in 1891?
7. Why was Healy unhappy with the fence Jimmie built?
8. Describe Gilda.
9. How was Jimmie punished for Healy's dissatisfaction with the fence?
10. Why is Mr. Newby angry at Jimmie and what does he do about it?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)