|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Healy have about the fence?
(a) The fence is crooked.
(b) The fence posts are misplaced.
(c) The fence is too short.
(d) The fence isn't sturdy enough.
2. What does Jimmie soon believe is the best way to bettering his life?
(a) Staying away from white society.
(b) Buying cattle.
(c) Devoting his life to God.
(d) Owning property.
3. What is unique about Jimmie's heritage?
(a) He is white but raised by aboriginals.
(b) He is half white, half aborigine.
(c) He is half aborigine, half Chinese.
(d) He is black but raised by white people.
4. What job does Jimmie tell Wongee Tom he wants to get?
(a) Sheep sheering.
(b) Cattle- herding.
(d) Coal digging.
5. What year is it at the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmie afraid that Farrell will do after he leaves work?
2. What document does Healy withhold when Jimmie finishes the fence?
3. How does Jimmie deal with Healy's complaints?
4. Why are the women appalled at Gilda in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Jimmy go with the Nevilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Nevilles and what is their role in Jimmie's life?
2. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
3. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
4. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
5. Why might Jimmie have decided to drop the issue rather than argue with Healy about the quality of the fence?
6. Why does Jimmie leave home after only staying there for two days?
7. Why is Gilda glad that she will be able to give birth in the main house?
8. Who does Jimmie fall in love with in Chapter 2?
9. What are we told happened in 1891?
10. Why does Jimmie quit his job with the police?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)