|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Healys do when they later pass Jimmie on the road?
(a) Threaten Jimmie.
(b) Spit on Jimmie.
(c) Wave to Jimmie.
(d) Avert their eyes.
2. How does Jimmie's progress with the fence go?
(a) He finishes early.
(b) He doesn't finish at all.
(c) He finishes on time.
(d) He finishes two days late.
3. Who is Miss Petra Graf?
(a) Farrell's wife-to-be.
(b) The schoolmistress.
(c) Mr.Newby's mistress.
(d) A friend of Gilda's.
4. How was the birth of Gilda's baby?
(b) Easy and quick.
(c) Long and suspenseful.
5. Where does Mrs. Newby tell Gilda she can have the baby?
(a) In Gilda's room.
(b) At the midwives' house.
(c) At the main house.
(d) At the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis threaten to do if he finds fault with Jimmie's work?
2. What country is Claude Lewis from?
3. Why does the minister's wife think Jimmie is cutting down wood?
4. What does Morton often do?
5. Where did Jimmie get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
2. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
3. Why is Mr. Newby angry at Jimmie and what does he do about it?
4. What does Mr. Newby do that is just like Jimmie's previous employers?
5. Why is Farrell satisfied with Jimmie?
6. What is Jimmie's impression of Mrs. Healy?
7. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
8. Why does Jimmie leave home after only staying there for two days?
9. What is the significance of Jimmie's initiation tooth?
10. Describe Gilda.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)