|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Healy insist Jimmie do by the next morning, after their argument?
(b) Return his tools.
(c) Leave his property.
(d) Finish the fence.
2. What do Jimmie and the others carry the dead man from Verona in?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A rug,
(d) A cart.
3. Who was concerned for Jimmie in his absence from the camp?
(a) Rev. Neville.
4. What do Jimmie and Mort do one morning because of Lewis's treatment of them?
(a) Jimmie and Mort burn Lewis' farm down.
(b) Jimmie and Mort walk away.
(c) Jimmie and Mort steal Lewis' stash.
(d) Jimmie and Mort kill Lewis.
5. How much money does Healy pay Jimmie for building the fence?
(b) Just enough to cover supply expenses.
(c) Less that what was agreed to.
(d) The agreed amount, plus tip.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does Jimmie walk by noon in Chapter 5?
2. What does Lewis threaten to do if he finds fault with Jimmie's work?
3. What role does Rev. Neville offer Jimmy at his new church?
4. What does Farrell give Jimmie after he helps Farrell find Harry Edwards?
5. How was the birth of Gilda's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gilda in Chapter 12?
2. Why is Gilda glad that she will be able to give birth in the main house?
3. Why does Jimmie think that it will be good to work for the police?
4. Why is Farrell satisfied with Jimmie?
5. Why doesn't Jimmie tell Farrell what he knew about Harry Edwards?
6. What happens when Mort and Jimmie find a little house with an old couple inside?
7. Toward the end of Chapter 2, what has Jimmie decided is the key to bettering his life?
8. How does Rev. Neville feel about the events of the novel?
9. Describe the place and time that the novel is set in.
10. Why do Jimmie and Mort stop working for Claude Lewis?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)