|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Jimmie expected to accompany the constable?
(a) When they arrest a black person.
(b) During lunch.
(c) At target practice.
(d) When entering a blacks' camp.
2. What does Jimmie tell the contractor after the contractor tries to short-change him?
(a) He is marrying Gilda and she has many debts.
(b) He is marrying Gilda and he has four months to live.
(c) He is marrying Gilda and she likes to shop.
(d) He is marrying Gilda and she is pregnant.
3. Why are the women appalled at Gilda in Chapter 7?
(a) Gilda refuses to bathe the baby.
(b) Gilda has left the baby in the care of blacks.
(c) Gilda does not know how to read.
(d) Gilda has given the baby a black name.
4. Who is Miss Petra Graf?
(a) A friend of Gilda's.
(b) Mr.Newby's mistress.
(c) The schoolmistress.
(d) Farrell's wife-to-be.
5. How does Jimmie find Harry Edwards when he returns to work?
(a) Praying by the bed of his cell.
(b) Sleeping in the corner of Farrell's office.
(c) Hanging from the roof of his cell.
(d) Hiding under the bed in his cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of blacks does the constable like?
2. What is Tabidgi's "white" name?
3. Who was concerned for Jimmie in his absence from the camp?
4. What complaint does Healy have about the fence?
5. What is Jimmie afraid that Farrell will do after he leaves work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jimmie fall in love with in Chapter 2?
2. Why does Jimmie leave home after only staying there for two days?
3. Why is Gilda glad that she will be able to give birth in the main house?
4. What does Mrs. Newby do for Gilda?
5. Who do the Nevilles suggest Jimmie should attempt to marry, and why?
6. What does Mr. Newby do that is just like Jimmie's previous employers?
7. Why doesn't Jimmie tell Farrell what he knew about Harry Edwards?
8. In Jimmie's case, what does it mean to be a "half-breed?"
9. Why might Jimmie have decided to drop the issue rather than argue with Healy about the quality of the fence?
10. Why do Jimmie and Mort stop working for Claude Lewis?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)