|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the day and date that the bomb detonates?
2. What is the name of the prison where Sam is at?
3. Where does Lee work?
4. How many trials does it take to convict Sam Cayhall of murder?
5. How does the prison itself appear to Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adam's first viewing of the prison where his grandfather is.
2. Why is the press so interested in Adam?
3. Who was the Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and what was his job?
4. How is Sam 'seen' on death row by the other inmates?
5. What is Adam wanting to see Sam for?
6. What happens with the bomb after it is placed, and what is the result of the bomb?
7. What is the exception to the rule about the recreational hour for the inmates outside?
8. At the beginning of 'The Chamber', describe Marvin Kramer and his life.
9. What type of home life did Adam have?
10. What is the recreational hour on death row?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Naifeh and George Nugent are the superintendent and assistant superintendent, respectfully, of Parchman Prison. Each of these men holds a different stance toward running the prison and the execution process of death row inmates. What are the similarities and differences between these two individuals regarding how they run the prison, their organizational skills, the way they run the execution process, and the way they feel toward the execution process? Do inmates feel the same way toward these individuals? How can you tell? Give examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
On death row, Sam has a sort of make-shift camaraderie with the other death row inmates. Explain the camaraderie between Sam and the other death row inmates. How did Sam come to be revered by them?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the time that Sam was in prison, he had visitors. Name all of the people who came to visit Sam at the prison, listing any surprise visitors that Sam may have had. When did these people come to visit Sam in prison? Why do these people come to visit Sam?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)