|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What positive effect does the smell of Jack's hands have?
2. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie what happened at the pool hall?
3. What does Tom wear while the others prepare dinner?
4. What does Derek drive?
5. What does Jack argue with his siblings about over dinner in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tom's baby-like behavior affected by Julie's willingness to treat him like one?
2. Three weeks after Mother's death, how does Jack spend his time?
3. Why do Sue and Julie dress up Tom like a girl?
4. What inconsistency of story does Jack alert to Derek after the frog incident in the garden?
5. Three weeks after Mother's death, Jack goes into the cellar to see the trunk. What are his thoughts as he visits the cellar?
6. What is Derek's solution to covering the rotting smell? What do the kids tell him the smell is?
7. What does Derek say and how does he act when he catches Julie and Jack naked together?
8. Why do Jack and Sue get excited when they investigate the strange smell in the cellar?
9. How does Tom get to play in girls' clothing without getting picked on by his friends?
10. Discuss the owners of the pool hall's relationship with Derek. Why does he play for free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood in literature? How are they similar? How are both communicated to a reader?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well. What role does foreshadowing play in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the author's choice of grammatical tense in The Cement Garden. Define the three types of tenses and explain how they are typically identified.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)