|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says Jack should be locked up?
2. Who calls for Julie when she is having sex with Jack?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, how many weeks have passed since Mother's death?
4. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie what happened at the pool hall?
5. Who is the first to see that one of the siblings is writing to their dead Mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation Derek strikes up at the pool hall when he starts playing.
2. Describe the circumstances (and location) in which Derek first meets Julie's siblings.
3. How is Tom's baby-like behavior affected by Julie's willingness to treat him like one?
4. Discuss the siblings' eating habits for the week following their mother's death.
5. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie about his conversations with Derek as soon as he returns home from the pool hall?
6. What conversation does Jack have with Tom after being awakened by Tom's fake crying?
7. What sense does Jack experience after his mother's death? What does he say is lacking from that sense?
8. Three weeks after Mother's death, how does Sue spend her time?
9. Why do Jack and Sue get excited when they investigate the strange smell in the cellar?
10. What inconsistency of story does Jack alert to Derek after the frog incident in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two oldest siblings and the two youngest ones.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Cement Garden. How did it flow? How did the rising action add to the suspense of the story, or did it?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)