|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie what happened at the pool hall?
2. For what occasion did Mother and Father leave the siblings alone two years previously?
3. Who asks in Chapter 9 if their mother's resting place was the right decision?
4. What do Jack's hands begin to smell like in Chapter 9?
5. Why do the girls dress up Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Derek say and how does he act when he catches Julie and Jack naked together?
2. Discuss the conversation Derek strikes up at the pool hall when he starts playing.
3. What do the girls say about Jack and Tom's appearances when they are dressing Tom like a girl?
4. Discuss the owners of the pool hall's relationship with Derek. Why does he play for free?
5. Why do Sue and Julie dress up Tom like a girl?
6. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie about his conversations with Derek as soon as he returns home from the pool hall?
7. What happened to the children when they were left alone one time previously?
8. What inconsistency of story does Jack alert to Derek after the frog incident in the garden?
9. Explain how Julie's punch of Jack turns into sex with him.
10. What is the conversation between Derek and Jack as they leave the pool hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Cement Garden? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well. What role does foreshadowing play in literature?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)