|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the siblings hear at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Who hit Tom in Chapter 8 and made him cry?
3. What positive effect does the smell of Jack's hands have?
4. When jealous over Julie's boyfriend, who does Jack ask to play the sex game?
5. Who tries to lighten the conversation in the pool hall when someone gets upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the children when they were left alone one time previously?
2. Explain how Julie's punch of Jack turns into sex with him.
3. How does the book end?
4. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie about his conversations with Derek as soon as he returns home from the pool hall?
5. What is Derek's solution to covering the rotting smell? What do the kids tell him the smell is?
6. How does Jack get a terrible sunburn?
7. Three weeks after Mother's death, how does Jack spend his time?
8. Describe the circumstances (and location) in which Derek first meets Julie's siblings.
9. What conversation does Jack have with Tom after being awakened by Tom's fake crying?
10. Discuss the siblings' eating habits for the week following their mother's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood in literature? How are they similar? How are both communicated to a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Define foil. Who is the foil of this novel and why?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)