|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is mad to find that Mother has been sick for a while?
2. What do Jack and Julie wrap their Mother in to carry her body downstairs?
3. How old was Jack when he faked illness to leave school?
4. What is Father doing with Jack when he has his heart attack?
5. Where do the men drop the delivery they take to Jack's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother talk to Jack about one morning when she awakens him?
2. Why is Tom tired of being a boy?
3. What do Jack's parents argue about in Chapter 1? What does his mother demand and what is his father's reaction?
4. Why did Jack fake being sick when he was 8 and what happened when he got home?
5. Why, in Chapter 2, does Jack begin to avoid Mother?
6. What was Jack doing and why does he run off at the end of Chapter 2?
7. Why does Tom get picked on at school?
8. When the children are in the garden discussing what to now that Mother has died, what specifically do they discuss?
9. What happens when Julie covers Mother's body with a sheet?
10. What happens when Tom points out his bully to Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a flashback? Identify and discuss one example of flashback from this novel. How does the author signify that it is a flashback? How does the author demonstrate that the flashback ends?
Essay Topic 2
What are static and dynamic characters? Name the static and dynamic characters in this novel and discuss what about each makes them either static or dynamic.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two oldest siblings and the two youngest ones.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)