|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the garden look to Jack at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Which of the siblings has more friends at school?
3. Who gives cleaning utensils as a birthday present?
4. What are Julie's extracurricular activities?
5. How old is Jack when men show up at his house with a delivery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What birthday request does Jack make that gets denied by his mother?
2. Why does Tom get picked on at school?
3. Describe the social life of Jack's family.
4. How do the siblings tell Tom that Mother has died?
5. When the children are in the garden discussing what to now that Mother has died, what specifically do they discuss?
6. What do Julie and Jack do with sand and how long does it take?
7. What does Mother talk to Jack about one morning when she awakens him?
8. How does Jack's acne problem affect him socially?
9. Why does the whole family attack Father verbally over a decision he made regarding Julie's extracurricular activities?
10. What happens to the garden after Father's first heart attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define foil. Who is the foil of this novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
Define motif. Identify and discuss two motifs from The Cement Garden.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Cement Garden.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)