|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which specific extracurricular activity does Julie excel?
2. Who puts lotion on the sunbather?
3. Who ridicules the person who refuses to watch Julie in her extracurricular activities?
4. What do Julie and Jack get as Sue waits in the kitchen with a crying Tom?
5. Who does not cry as they wait to tell the others about Mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the whole family attack Father verbally over a decision he made regarding Julie's extracurricular activities?
2. What does Julie tell Jack she imagines will happen between Father and Tom as Father's health declines?
3. What do Jack and his sisters do for fun on the night their parents argue in Chapter 1?
4. After they go back inside the house, what plans for Mother's body do the three older siblings discuss?
5. What discussion does Mother have with Jack when she calls him to her bedside?
6. Why is Tom tired of being a boy?
7. What does Jack notice about his mother when he sees her from a distance in Chapter 2?
8. When the children are in the garden discussing what to now that Mother has died, what specifically do they discuss?
9. Why does Tom get picked on at school?
10. How does Jack release tension in the garden at the beginning of Chapter 4? Why does he stop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exposition of The Cement Garden.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view from which the novel is written. Does this point of view make the story more or less believable? Select a different point of view and explain how this novel would have changed if written from it.
Essay Topic 3
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villain qualities. Discuss the protagonist in The Cement Garden. Discuss the antagonist in the story as well.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)