|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is so frightened that he/she urinates on him/herself?
2. What does Jack do with the object he finds in the garden at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What is distracting Jack from realizing his father's condition as the two work on a project together?
4. How old is Jack when men show up at his house with a delivery?
5. What do Tom and Jack help their father move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother talk to Jack about one morning when she awakens him?
2. What was Jack doing and why does he run off at the end of Chapter 2?
3. How do the siblings tell Tom that Mother has died?
4. What discussion does Mother have with Jack when she calls him to her bedside?
5. Who is present during Father's final heart attack and why is it initially unnoticed?
6. What happens when Tom points out his bully to Jack?
7. Why did Jack fake being sick when he was 8 and what happened when he got home?
8. What does the family do to celebrate Jack's birthday?
9. When the children are in the garden discussing what to now that Mother has died, what specifically do they discuss?
10. Why does Tom get picked on at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters Jack and Julie and their growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Cement Garden.
Essay Topic 3
Define motif. Identify and discuss two motifs from The Cement Garden.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)