|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mother's body is hidden, who begins writing to Mother?
2. What positive effect does the smell of Jack's hands have?
(a) The mint store is making profits.
(b) He learns to enjoy candles.
(c) He begins to clean himself.
(d) He learns the positive effects of cleaning house.
3. At what age did Derek start playing pool at his favorite hall?
4. What does Jack read in Chapter 7?
(a) Sue's diary.
(b) Julie's health book.
(c) His sci-fi novel for the first time.
(d) His sci-fi novel...again.
5. What fills the house within a week after Mother dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue say is causing the faint smell in the house?
2. What makes Jack smile after being punched?
3. Who defecated on him/herself during the siblings' games when their parents left them alone two years previously?
4. Why do the girls dress up Tom?
5. What does Tom eat constantly after his mother dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book end?
2. What is the conversation Derek has with the siblings over tea, after sealing the cracked cement?
3. How does Jack get a terrible sunburn?
4. What is Jack's science fiction novel about and what question does Jack pose regarding it?
5. Discuss the owners of the pool hall's relationship with Derek. Why does he play for free?
6. What sense does Jack experience after his mother's death? What does he say is lacking from that sense?
7. Why doesn't Jack tell Julie about his conversations with Derek as soon as he returns home from the pool hall?
8. Explain how Julie's punch of Jack turns into sex with him.
9. What is Derek's solution to covering the rotting smell? What do the kids tell him the smell is?
10. Why do Sue and Julie dress up Tom like a girl?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)