|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father Sanchez categorize the narrator's behavior?
2. To what point in his life does the priest take the narrator to teach him about his control drama?
3. What does the Seventh Insight deal with?
4. Back down the mountain, what brings the narrator out of his euphoria?
5. In a feeling of euphoria, what happens to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julia advise against Marjorie's going on to Iquitos?
2. Relate what happens when gunfire erupts in the village of Cula.
3. What takes place after spending the night at Juan Hinton's house?
4. Describe how the conversation turns back at Father Carl's house.
5. Explain how the Eighth Insight helps Julia understand what is going on between the narrator and Marjorie.
6. How will Father Carl help the narrator?
7. Comment on the narrator's out of body experience.
8. How do the narrator and Marjorie escape the soldiers on the way to see Sebastian?
9. How does the narrator learn to use the Sixth Insight?
10. What is revealed in the narrator's description of his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on restlessness. In the novel, the First Insight attributes restlessness as the first step toward gaining a higher spirituality. In reality, there are may outcomes of restlessness. Describe good outcomes like great inventions that came from the restless ind of the inventor. Describe bad outcomes like actions of restless criminals.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of keeping an open mind. Good examples to use in contrast are Father Sanchez and Cardinal Sebastian. Include examples of social problems like racism and right to life stances can only be resolved through open minded discussion and action.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on why the Manuscript had to be completely destroyed at the end of the parable. Include the idea that for a copy to remain, the story would become simply an action adventure rather than a parable. Select a story like one of the Indiana Jones adventures to show the difference between a parable and just an exciting story.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)