|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karla tell Marjorie not to do?
2. What is characteristic of an aloof drama person?
3. What happens to Marjorie while she waits beside the road?
4. Where does Julia suggest Marjorie go the next day?
5. Seeing Wil drive off before the military can arrest him, where do the narrator and Marjorie go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the Eighth Insight helps Julia understand what is going on between the narrator and Marjorie.
2. Describe the coincidences that follow the narrator's choice of forks in the road.
3. How will Father Carl help the narrator?
4. What takes place after spending the night at Juan Hinton's house?
5. Why does Julia advise against Marjorie's going on to Iquitos?
6. What are the thoughts going through the narrator's mind at Father Carl's cabin?
7. Mention something about the warning Pablo gives the narrator before he is taken to see Cardinal Sebastian.
8. Tell a little about the exchange between the narrator and Father Sanchez the morning after the narrator is rescued.
9. Explain how the narrator is arrested and the coincidence of his cell mate.
10. Describe the narrator's first attempt at using the Eighth Insight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on parables. In the essay explain how parables make it easier for people to understand a deeper meaning. On a very basic level, you might want to refer to some of Aesop's fables.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on restlessness. In the novel, the First Insight attributes restlessness as the first step toward gaining a higher spirituality. In reality, there are may outcomes of restlessness. Describe good outcomes like great inventions that came from the restless ind of the inventor. Describe bad outcomes like actions of restless criminals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about argument. In the essay you are not talking about enlightened exchange of ideas. Rather, you will focus on those arguments for which there can be no clear winner such as Sarah's argument with the German and Father Sanchez' disagreement with the Cardinal. Discuss the negative effects of such arguments.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)