|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would it take to create a non-Aesonion positronic brain which dismisses the Three Laws?
2. What does Lije want to test with Daneel?
3. What is the purpose of the investigation of Dr. Sarton's murder for the Spacers?
4. What is dangerous to a positronic brain?
5. Why are most robots made in human form?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
2. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
3. What childhood story makes Lije re-think Enderby as the murder suspect and why do you think Lije makes the connection between the story and Enderby?
4. How do you think Lije's prejudice towards robots hinders his murder investigation?
5. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
6. How has the murder of R. Sammy changed the relationship between Lije and R. Daneel?
7. How does Lije react to Bentley showing up at the apartment and what does this say about the relationship between Lije and Jesse?
8. What does the visit to Yeast town demonstrate?
9. Who does Lije call in Washington, D.C. and why does Lije call the man?
10. How is a conflict between Lije's professional and personal life demonstrated in this chapter and how does Lije handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Introduction to a Family," we learn a little about Lije and Jesse's relationship and how they function as a family with their son, Bentley. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lije's family with your own.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the relationship between Lije and Jesse. Are their given names (Elijah and Jezebel) perhaps symbolic of their relationship in some way?
3. Do you think the family structure observed in THE CAVES OF STEEL is as strong as that in the general American population?
Essay Topic 2
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)