|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is standing next to Enderby?
2. Who is one member of the group that Lije recognizes the name?
3. Who does Enderby intend to kill in Spacertown?
4. Who does Lije convince to come to New York City?
5. Of what is Dr. Gerrigel afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the murder of R. Sammy changed the relationship between Lije and R. Daneel?
2. What does Lije propose and how does Dr. Gerrigel refute Lije's theory?
3. Discuss the game Lije played in his earlier days and how it figures in to his sense of competitiveness with R. Daneel?
4. How does Lije react to Bentley showing up at the apartment and what does this say about the relationship between Lije and Jesse?
5. What theme is demonstrated by the conversation between Lije and Norris?
6. How is R. Daneel able to assure Lije of Enderby's innocence and does Daneel's explanation seem plausible?
7. Why do you think R. Daneel reveals his vulnerabilities to Lije?
8. Does Lije seem to be finally thinking more clearly and to what might you attribute that?
9. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
10. How does the conversation between Lije and Clousarr show Lije's changing opinions of robots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
Essay Topic 2
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Fastolfe is currently one hundred and sixty three years old, and on Fastolfe's home planet, Aurora, the average life expectancy for a male is three hundred and fifty years. Discuss the following:
1. What would it be like to have a life expectancy of 350 years?
2. Could Earth sustain life if people lived that long?
3. Do you think if the life expectancy were that long, the birth rate would plummet?
4. How long would adolescence last if one lived to be 350 years old?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)