|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Daneel and Lije go?
2. Of what is Dr. Gerrigel afraid?
3. Who pushes the person into the fission chamber?
4. What does Daneel ask Lije while they are having dinner?
5. About what is Enderby surprisingly calm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Lije's prejudice towards robots hinders his murder investigation?
2. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
3. What theme is demonstrated by the conversation between Lije and Norris?
4. Why can't Daneel use cerebroanalysis to find the murderer?
5. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
6. How does Dr. Gerrigel demonstrate the first law of robotics and at the same time prove once and for all R. Daneel's innocence?
7. Why do you think R. Daneel reveals his vulnerabilities to Lije?
8. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
9. When Daneel and Lije return to their apartment, what horrifies does Daneel do that horrifies Lije? Would you feel the same way
10. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bentley, Lije's son, is against the idea of robots, which may be a reflection not only of how he has been raised in their household but also of how his friends and teachers perceive the situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Answer the following questions: How influential do you think Bentley's peers are on his opinions? How influential are Jesse's associates in the Medievalist group on her thinking? How about how influential are Lije's colleagues on his thinking?
2. A book called Freakonomics, suggests that peers have the greatest influence on how a child turns out--even more so than parents, teachers, or other adults. Discuss your thoughts about this idea.
3. If Freakonomics is correct and peers have the most influence on the way a child turns out as an adult, how do you think that should influence a parent's interaction and supervision of his/her child? Go into detail with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Besides the fact that robots are taking some of the jobs from the Earth people, many miss the fact that Human interaction is lost and efficiency overrules personal assistance. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the people of Earth prefer human assistance?
2. How similar is their revolt to many people in our culture who complain about trying to call a company and getting a voice instructing them to push numbers?
3. Do you think there will be a time when robots do all the work for human beings? What do you think will be gained by that? What will be lost?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)