|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government call things such as riots?
2. What is Enderby's response about Daneel?
3. Why has Dr. Sarton's murder been assigned to the Commissioner's office?
4. Under what circumstances will the Spacers allow an investigation and will not send a report to their Outerworlds?
5. Who is Jesse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
2. What is Lije's rationale for believing Dr. Sarton is not dead, but that the Spacers want the Earthmen to believe Dr. Sarton is murdered by a City dweller?
3. How does R. Daneel disprove Lije's theory and is Enderby's response appropriate?
4. Why did Dr. Sarton engage in robotic research?
5. How does it seem that Lije reacts to the idea of having a robot for a partner?
6. What does Jesse want and what is Lije's response? Is Jesse justified in her request?
7. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
8. What are a couple differences between the City where Lije lives and Spacetown?
9. Why does Lije request Enderby to be a witness to a conversation Lije is about to have with Dr. Fastolfe and R. Daneel?
10. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lije first enters Spacetown, he states that he has solved the case and believes Dr. Sarton is still alive and points to Daneel. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Lije's reasoning is sound for coming to the conclusion he does?
2. What does it say about Enderby that he is laughing hysterically at Lije?
3. Would you have been as willing to look foolish and make such a proclamation? Why or why not?
4. Was Lije a bit premature in his claim?
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
When Lije finally enters Spacetown he is disturbed by the feeling of wind and breathing in of real air. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Lije finds fresh air and wind disturbing? How would you feel about it if you did not experience it very often?
2. Lije does not even recognize an apple as food because his food is made mostly of yeast substances. Would you feel the quality of life is worthwhile in such a place?
3. How likely is it that in a few hundred years, Earth will be living in the manner suggested in THE CAVES OF STEEL?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)