|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jesse ask Lije this?
2. How does Daneel think an Earthman could enter the Spacer territory?
3. Who disagrees with Lije's idea?
4. How are Earth and its contemporary cities dependent?
5. Who does Lije think may be responsible for the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think could be an advantage if a clerk who is serving you were a robot?
2. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
3. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
4. How does Dr. Fastolfe explain the Spacers's paranoia about contact with Earthmen?
5. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
6. How does R. Daneel disprove Lije's theory and is Enderby's response appropriate?
7. Who is the murder victim and what do the Spacers think about his murder?
8. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
9. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
10. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems obvious that Lije wants to keep his professional life separate from his private/family life. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways does Lije try to separate his private from his professional life?
2. Do you think it is healthy for a person to keep their private lives and professional/work lives completely separate? Why or why not?
3. When you were a child, how aware were you of what your Mom/Dad did career wise? Do you wish they had told you more?
Essay Topic 2
One of the reasons Spacers would like to infiltrate Earth with robots is to make Earthlings desperate enough to be willing to join colonization groups. Discuss the following:
1. What is the reason Spacers want Earthlings to colonize other worlds? Is their concern legitimate?
2. Would you be resentful if your job is threatened by a robot?
3. The situation with the robots is somewhat similar to a real-life situation in the United States in that one group of people (whites) felt threatened that other groups (blacks) (Hispanics) are taking their livelihood.How was that situation resolved? Or is it fully resolved?
Essay Topic 3
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)