|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Fastolfe say about Daneel's entire make up?
2. What does Lije regret not seeing?
3. Of what does Jesse accuse Lije?
4. What would Lije not mind as far as his position?
5. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
2. Often foreshadowing is not apparent until later, but there are usually reasons an author mentions something trivial because it foreshadows something later: What is one thing that may be foreshadowing?
3. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
4. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
5. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
6. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
7. What is the problem that Lije and R. Daneel encounter at the shoe store, and do you think the women are justified?
8. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
9. Why is R. Daneel so different from other robots?
10. Why does Lije request Enderby to be a witness to a conversation Lije is about to have with Dr. Fastolfe and R. Daneel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
Essay Topic 2
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
It seems obvious that Lije wants to keep his professional life separate from his private/family life. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways does Lije try to separate his private from his professional life?
2. Do you think it is healthy for a person to keep their private lives and professional/work lives completely separate? Why or why not?
3. When you were a child, how aware were you of what your Mom/Dad did career wise? Do you wish they had told you more?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)