|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what circumstances will the Spacers allow an investigation and will not send a report to their Outerworlds?
2. What is ironic about Daneel threatening to use a blaster against a human?
3. From what planet is Roj Nemennuh Sarton?
4. Where is Dr. Sarton's body now?
5. What can the women do if they cannot accept Lije's statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a couple differences between the City where Lije lives and Spacetown?
2. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
3. What does Jesse want and what is Lije's response? Is Jesse justified in her request?
4. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
5. Often foreshadowing is not apparent until later, but there are usually reasons an author mentions something trivial because it foreshadows something later: What is one thing that may be foreshadowing?
6. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
7. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Why do the Spacers want Earthmen to accept robots among them?
10. How does it seem that Lije reacts to the idea of having a robot for a partner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
When Lije finally enters Spacetown he is disturbed by the feeling of wind and breathing in of real air. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Lije finds fresh air and wind disturbing? How would you feel about it if you did not experience it very often?
2. Lije does not even recognize an apple as food because his food is made mostly of yeast substances. Would you feel the quality of life is worthwhile in such a place?
3. How likely is it that in a few hundred years, Earth will be living in the manner suggested in THE CAVES OF STEEL?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)