|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Spacers believe is responsible for the spacer's death?
2. Of what does Daneel remind Lije?
3. What does Lije think happened?
4. What must Lije do to enter Spacetown?
5. What does Lije say to Enderby about R. Daneel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
2. Why does Lije request Enderby to be a witness to a conversation Lije is about to have with Dr. Fastolfe and R. Daneel?
3. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
4. What do you think could be an advantage if a clerk who is serving you were a robot?
5. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
6. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
7. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
8. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
9. How does Dr. Fastolfe explain the Spacers's paranoia about contact with Earthmen?
10. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Essay Topic 2
Lije believes that Dr. Sarton made a robot copy of himself, blasted it, and arranged for the Spacers to send a robot into the City, threaten a mob of people and begin the rumor that a robot is on the loose. As things worsen for Spacetown, the more space ships will come down and infiltrate the Cities. Discuss the following:
1. Why do Spacers want to infiltrate the City?
2. Are Spacers only concerned for their own lives?
3. Do you think Spacers live more in tune with the natural world and thus they are wiser as to what the Earth needs?
Essay Topic 3
It seems obvious that Lije wants to keep his professional life separate from his private/family life. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways does Lije try to separate his private from his professional life?
2. Do you think it is healthy for a person to keep their private lives and professional/work lives completely separate? Why or why not?
3. When you were a child, how aware were you of what your Mom/Dad did career wise? Do you wish they had told you more?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)