|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesse ask Lije that night?
2. What is Julius Enderby's occupation?
3. What does Daneel do as the family dines?
4. What does Lije say to Enderby about R. Daneel?
5. Where do Lije and his two sisters live after his father dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
2. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
3. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
4. Why does Lije request Enderby to be a witness to a conversation Lije is about to have with Dr. Fastolfe and R. Daneel?
5. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
6. What are a couple differences between the City where Lije lives and Spacetown?
7. What is the problem that Lije and R. Daneel encounter at the shoe store, and do you think the women are justified?
8. Why did Dr. Sarton engage in robotic research?
9. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
10. What shocks Lije about his new partner, R. Daneel, and why do you think this bothers Lije so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Besides the fact that robots are taking some of the jobs from the Earth people, many miss the fact that Human interaction is lost and efficiency overrules personal assistance. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the people of Earth prefer human assistance?
2. How similar is their revolt to many people in our culture who complain about trying to call a company and getting a voice instructing them to push numbers?
3. Do you think there will be a time when robots do all the work for human beings? What do you think will be gained by that? What will be lost?
Essay Topic 2
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
Essay Topic 3
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)