|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Spacers believe is responsible for the spacer's death?
2. What does Lije realize as the crowd calms?
3. Under what circumstances will the Spacers allow an investigation and will not send a report to their Outerworlds?
4. What does the government call things such as riots?
5. What does Dr. Fastolfe say about Daneel's entire make up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
2. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
3. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
4. What is the problem that Lije and R. Daneel encounter at the shoe store, and do you think the women are justified?
5. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
6. What do you think could be an advantage if a clerk who is serving you were a robot?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
9. What is Lije's rationale for believing Dr. Sarton is not dead, but that the Spacers want the Earthmen to believe Dr. Sarton is murdered by a City dweller?
10. How does R. Daneel disprove Lije's theory and is Enderby's response appropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bentley, Lije's son, is against the idea of robots, which may be a reflection not only of how he has been raised in their household but also of how his friends and teachers perceive the situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Answer the following questions: How influential do you think Bentley's peers are on his opinions? How influential are Jesse's associates in the Medievalist group on her thinking? How about how influential are Lije's colleagues on his thinking?
2. A book called Freakonomics, suggests that peers have the greatest influence on how a child turns out--even more so than parents, teachers, or other adults. Discuss your thoughts about this idea.
3. If Freakonomics is correct and peers have the most influence on the way a child turns out as an adult, how do you think that should influence a parent's interaction and supervision of his/her child? Go into detail with examples.
Essay Topic 2
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)