Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
In "Introduction to a Family," we learn a little about Lije and Jesse's relationship and how they function as a family with their son, Bentley. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lije's family with your own.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the relationship between Lije and Jesse. Are their given names (Elijah and Jezebel) perhaps symbolic of their relationship in some way?
3. Do you think the family structure observed in THE CAVES OF STEEL is as strong as that in the general American population?
It seems obvious that Lije wants to keep his professional life separate from his private/family life. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways does Lije try to separate his private from his professional life?
2. Do you think it is healthy for a person to keep their private lives and professional/work lives completely separate? Why or why not?
3. When you were a child, how aware were you of what your Mom/Dad did career wise? Do you wish they had told you more?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)