Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of examples in the book where it is obvious that human society is more strictly regulated and structured in the time of THE CAVES OF STEEL than at the present time in the United States. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the way the world of THE CAVES OF STEEL is structured and regulated. Evaluate its effectiveness and its problems.
2. Compare/contrast the society in which Lije lives versus an average American today.
3. Are there countries that are as tightly controlled in the "real" world as that in THE CAVES OF STEEL? Compare the two.
Essay Topic 2
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
We eventually learn that the Spacers set up Lije as an experiment to see if human beings could be made to live in peaceful co-existence with robots. They inject Lije with a drug that eventually makes Lije defend robots. Discuss the following:
1. Was it ethical to inject Lije without his permission?
2. If an Earthman has to be injected with a drug to make them accept robots, then how do you think the Spacers could pull off drugging all, or even a small portion of the 50 billion humans on Earth?
3. If there were a way to drug someone to gain his/her cooperation or to change their minds about something, do you think the government of the United States would use such a drug? Why or why not.
This section contains 3,158 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)