Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
Bentley, Lije's son, is against the idea of robots, which may be a reflection not only of how he has been raised in their household but also of how his friends and teachers perceive the situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Answer the following questions: How influential do you think Bentley's peers are on his opinions? How influential are Jesse's associates in the Medievalist group on her thinking? How about how influential are Lije's colleagues on his thinking?
2. A book called Freakonomics, suggests that peers have the greatest influence on how a child turns out--even more so than parents, teachers, or other adults. Discuss your thoughts about this idea.
3. If Freakonomics is correct and peers have the most influence on the way a child turns out as an adult, how do you think that should influence a parent's interaction and supervision of his/her child? Go into detail with examples.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)