|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Daneel been programmed?
2. What does Lije ask Fastolfe?
3. What makes it difficult for humans to enter Spacetown?
4. Who does Lije think may be responsible for the murder?
5. What would be an immense challenge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is established at the opening of the novel?
2. Discuss the game Lije played in his earlier days and how it figures in to his sense of competitiveness with R. Daneel?
3. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
4. What does the visit to Yeast town demonstrate?
5. Who does Lije call in Washington, D.C. and why does Lije call the man?
6. What is Lije's rationale for believing Dr. Sarton is not dead, but that the Spacers want the Earthmen to believe Dr. Sarton is murdered by a City dweller?
7. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
8. How does Lije react to Bentley showing up at the apartment and what does this say about the relationship between Lije and Jesse?
9. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
10. Why did Dr. Sarton engage in robotic research?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Introduction to a Family," we learn a little about Lije and Jesse's relationship and how they function as a family with their son, Bentley. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lije's family with your own.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the relationship between Lije and Jesse. Are their given names (Elijah and Jezebel) perhaps symbolic of their relationship in some way?
3. Do you think the family structure observed in THE CAVES OF STEEL is as strong as that in the general American population?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
Essay Topic 3
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
This section contains 3,213 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)