Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 1
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 2
Besides the fact that robots are taking some of the jobs from the Earth people, many miss the fact that Human interaction is lost and efficiency overrules personal assistance. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the people of Earth prefer human assistance?
2. How similar is their revolt to many people in our culture who complain about trying to call a company and getting a voice instructing them to push numbers?
3. Do you think there will be a time when robots do all the work for human beings? What do you think will be gained by that? What will be lost?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Fastolfe is currently one hundred and sixty three years old, and on Fastolfe's home planet, Aurora, the average life expectancy for a male is three hundred and fifty years. Discuss the following:
1. What would it be like to have a life expectancy of 350 years?
2. Could Earth sustain life if people lived that long?
3. Do you think if the life expectancy were that long, the birth rate would plummet?
4. How long would adolescence last if one lived to be 350 years old?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)