|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Lije not mind as far as his position?
2. What does Daneel say he was doing in the Men's Personals?
3. Essentially, how does Lije react to Jesse's fears?
4. How has Daneel been programmed?
5. Why does Lije go to Spacetown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it seem that Lije reacts to the idea of having a robot for a partner?
2. Who is the murder victim and what do the Spacers think about his murder?
3. What is Lije's rationale for believing Dr. Sarton is not dead, but that the Spacers want the Earthmen to believe Dr. Sarton is murdered by a City dweller?
4. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
5. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
6. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
7. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
8. What shocks Lije about his new partner, R. Daneel, and why do you think this bothers Lije so much?
9. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
10. Why does Lije request Enderby to be a witness to a conversation Lije is about to have with Dr. Fastolfe and R. Daneel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)