Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Besides the fact that robots are taking some of the jobs from the Earth people, many miss the fact that Human interaction is lost and efficiency overrules personal assistance. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the people of Earth prefer human assistance?
2. How similar is their revolt to many people in our culture who complain about trying to call a company and getting a voice instructing them to push numbers?
3. Do you think there will be a time when robots do all the work for human beings? What do you think will be gained by that? What will be lost?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)