Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Lije try to intervene?
2. Who is R. Daneel Olivaw?
3. What must Lije leave behind at the guard station?
4. What shocks Lije?
5. In what field did Roj Nemennuh Sarton specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does THE CAVES OF STEEL reach its climax and subsequent denouement?
2. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
3. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
4. How does a section kitchen work and what is the implication of such a setup?
5. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
6. Do you think Lije and Enderby's relationship has changed and how so?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
9. Do you think Clousarr is an evil character?
10. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 1
Lije believes that Dr. Sarton made a robot copy of himself, blasted it, and arranged for the Spacers to send a robot into the City, threaten a mob of people and begin the rumor that a robot is on the loose. As things worsen for Spacetown, the more space ships will come down and infiltrate the Cities. Discuss the following:
1. Why do Spacers want to infiltrate the City?
2. Are Spacers only concerned for their own lives?
3. Do you think Spacers live more in tune with the natural world and thus they are wiser as to what the Earth needs?
Essay Topic 2
One of the reasons Spacers would like to infiltrate Earth with robots is to make Earthlings desperate enough to be willing to join colonization groups. Discuss the following:
1. What is the reason Spacers want Earthlings to colonize other worlds? Is their concern legitimate?
2. Would you be resentful if your job is threatened by a robot?
3. The situation with the robots is somewhat similar to a real-life situation in the United States in that one group of people (whites) felt threatened that other groups (blacks) (Hispanics) are taking their livelihood.How was that situation resolved? Or is it fully resolved?
Essay Topic 3
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)