|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the family usually required to eat?
2. How are the Spacers vulnerable?
3. Who must pass a medical inspection?
4. What does Daneel say he was doing in the Men's Personals?
5. What does Daneel find at the men's personals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
2. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
3. What is established at the opening of the novel?
4. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
5. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
6. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
7. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
8. Often foreshadowing is not apparent until later, but there are usually reasons an author mentions something trivial because it foreshadows something later: What is one thing that may be foreshadowing?
9. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
10. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We eventually learn that the Spacers set up Lije as an experiment to see if human beings could be made to live in peaceful co-existence with robots. They inject Lije with a drug that eventually makes Lije defend robots. Discuss the following:
1. Was it ethical to inject Lije without his permission?
2. If an Earthman has to be injected with a drug to make them accept robots, then how do you think the Spacers could pull off drugging all, or even a small portion of the 50 billion humans on Earth?
3. If there were a way to drug someone to gain his/her cooperation or to change their minds about something, do you think the government of the United States would use such a drug? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
When Lije finally enters Spacetown he is disturbed by the feeling of wind and breathing in of real air. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Lije finds fresh air and wind disturbing? How would you feel about it if you did not experience it very often?
2. Lije does not even recognize an apple as food because his food is made mostly of yeast substances. Would you feel the quality of life is worthwhile in such a place?
3. How likely is it that in a few hundred years, Earth will be living in the manner suggested in THE CAVES OF STEEL?
Essay Topic 3
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)