|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Spacers believe is responsible for the spacer's death?
2. What does Lije realize as the crowd calms?
3. What would Lije like as far as getting to work?
4. What does Lije question about Enderby?
5. How do guards address Lije at the entrance to Spacetown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
2. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
3. What does Jesse want and what is Lije's response? Is Jesse justified in her request?
4. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
5. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
6. What are a couple differences between the City where Lije lives and Spacetown?
7. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
8. Why do the Spacers want Earthmen to accept robots among them?
9. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
10. What is it about Fastolfe's age that most Earthmen would find extraordinary and do you think you would enjoy his lifespan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lije believes that Dr. Sarton made a robot copy of himself, blasted it, and arranged for the Spacers to send a robot into the City, threaten a mob of people and begin the rumor that a robot is on the loose. As things worsen for Spacetown, the more space ships will come down and infiltrate the Cities. Discuss the following:
1. Why do Spacers want to infiltrate the City?
2. Are Spacers only concerned for their own lives?
3. Do you think Spacers live more in tune with the natural world and thus they are wiser as to what the Earth needs?
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including acadmic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored THE CAVES OF STEEL, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of Asimov.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
When Lije finally enters Spacetown he is disturbed by the feeling of wind and breathing in of real air. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Lije finds fresh air and wind disturbing? How would you feel about it if you did not experience it very often?
2. Lije does not even recognize an apple as food because his food is made mostly of yeast substances. Would you feel the quality of life is worthwhile in such a place?
3. How likely is it that in a few hundred years, Earth will be living in the manner suggested in THE CAVES OF STEEL?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)