|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Lije not mind as far as his position?
2. Of what does Daneel remind Lije?
3. With what is Lije content?
4. Where is Daneel that night?
5. What does Daneel suddenly do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
2. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
3. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
4. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
5. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
6. Why did Dr. Sarton engage in robotic research?
7. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
8. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
9. How does R. Daneel disprove Lije's theory and is Enderby's response appropriate?
10. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Fastolfe is currently one hundred and sixty three years old, and on Fastolfe's home planet, Aurora, the average life expectancy for a male is three hundred and fifty years. Discuss the following:
1. What would it be like to have a life expectancy of 350 years?
2. Could Earth sustain life if people lived that long?
3. Do you think if the life expectancy were that long, the birth rate would plummet?
4. How long would adolescence last if one lived to be 350 years old?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Asimov wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Asimov's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
When Lije finally enters Spacetown he is disturbed by the feeling of wind and breathing in of real air. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Lije finds fresh air and wind disturbing? How would you feel about it if you did not experience it very often?
2. Lije does not even recognize an apple as food because his food is made mostly of yeast substances. Would you feel the quality of life is worthwhile in such a place?
3. How likely is it that in a few hundred years, Earth will be living in the manner suggested in THE CAVES OF STEEL?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)