|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Roj Nemennuh Sarton?
2. Who is the possible suspect?
3. What does Lije think is odd about Daneel being "programmed" for justice?
4. About what does Jesse ask Lije?
5. What does Lije question about Enderby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
2. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
3. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
4. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
5. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
6. What is it about Fastolfe's age that most Earthmen would find extraordinary and do you think you would enjoy his lifespan?
7. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
8. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
9. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
10. What are a couple differences between the City where Lije lives and Spacetown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of examples in the book where it is obvious that human society is more strictly regulated and structured in the time of THE CAVES OF STEEL than at the present time in the United States. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the way the world of THE CAVES OF STEEL is structured and regulated. Evaluate its effectiveness and its problems.
2. Compare/contrast the society in which Lije lives versus an average American today.
3. Are there countries that are as tightly controlled in the "real" world as that in THE CAVES OF STEEL? Compare the two.
Essay Topic 2
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)