|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jesse ask Lije this?
2. What seems to intrigue Dr. Fastolfe?
3. What does Lije believe Enderby will think about Lije's theory of the murder?
4. What would Lije like as far as getting to work?
5. What would Lije not mind as far as his position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
2. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
3. How does it seem that Lije reacts to the idea of having a robot for a partner?
4. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
5. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
6. What does Jesse want and what is Lije's response? Is Jesse justified in her request?
7. What is Lije subjected to again as he enters Spacetown?
8. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
9. What is it about Fastolfe's age that most Earthmen would find extraordinary and do you think you would enjoy his lifespan?
10. What do you think could be an advantage if a clerk who is serving you were a robot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the reasons Spacers would like to infiltrate Earth with robots is to make Earthlings desperate enough to be willing to join colonization groups. Discuss the following:
1. What is the reason Spacers want Earthlings to colonize other worlds? Is their concern legitimate?
2. Would you be resentful if your job is threatened by a robot?
3. The situation with the robots is somewhat similar to a real-life situation in the United States in that one group of people (whites) felt threatened that other groups (blacks) (Hispanics) are taking their livelihood.How was that situation resolved? Or is it fully resolved?
Essay Topic 2
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
Essay Topic 3
We eventually learn that the Spacers set up Lije as an experiment to see if human beings could be made to live in peaceful co-existence with robots. They inject Lije with a drug that eventually makes Lije defend robots. Discuss the following:
1. Was it ethical to inject Lije without his permission?
2. If an Earthman has to be injected with a drug to make them accept robots, then how do you think the Spacers could pull off drugging all, or even a small portion of the 50 billion humans on Earth?
3. If there were a way to drug someone to gain his/her cooperation or to change their minds about something, do you think the government of the United States would use such a drug? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)