|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lije meet Jesse?
2. What does Lije explain to the women?
3. What does Lije regret not seeing?
4. With what does Lije prefer Enderby to deal?
5. Of what does Fastolfe dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Daneel use cerebroanalysis to find the murderer?
2. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
3. Does Lije seem to be finally thinking more clearly and to what might you attribute that?
4. What is established at the opening of the novel?
5. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
6. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
7. What theme is demonstrated by the conversation between Lije and Norris?
8. How did Lije meet Jesse, his wife, and what about their names may foreshadow something further in the story?
9. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
10. How does Lije react to Bentley showing up at the apartment and what does this say about the relationship between Lije and Jesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Introduction to a Family," we learn a little about Lije and Jesse's relationship and how they function as a family with their son, Bentley. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lije's family with your own.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the relationship between Lije and Jesse. Are their given names (Elijah and Jezebel) perhaps symbolic of their relationship in some way?
3. Do you think the family structure observed in THE CAVES OF STEEL is as strong as that in the general American population?
Essay Topic 2
When Lije first enters Spacetown, he states that he has solved the case and believes Dr. Sarton is still alive and points to Daneel. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Lije's reasoning is sound for coming to the conclusion he does?
2. What does it say about Enderby that he is laughing hysterically at Lije?
3. Would you have been as willing to look foolish and make such a proclamation? Why or why not?
4. Was Lije a bit premature in his claim?
Essay Topic 3
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
This section contains 3,040 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)