|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dr. Sarton's body now?
2. What is ironic about Daneel threatening to use a blaster against a human?
3. With what does Lije prefer Enderby to deal?
4. How did a spacer die three days ago?
5. How does Daneel think an Earthman could enter the Spacer territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
2. How does R. Daneel disprove Lije's theory and is Enderby's response appropriate?
3. How does Dr. Fastolfe explain the Spacers's paranoia about contact with Earthmen?
4. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
5. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
6. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
7. What does Jesse want and what is Lije's response? Is Jesse justified in her request?
8. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
9. What is the problem that Lije and R. Daneel encounter at the shoe store, and do you think the women are justified?
10. Often foreshadowing is not apparent until later, but there are usually reasons an author mentions something trivial because it foreshadows something later: What is one thing that may be foreshadowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Daneel shares the information that gamma radiation can kill him, Lije is surprised. No Earthman is aware of this because Spacetown does not want humans knowing a robot's vulnerabilities, especially because of their plans for infiltration. Daneel only tells Lije because they are partners and believes it is necessary to know each others' strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think R. Daneel is capable of feeling trust (and/or mistrust)? Why or why not.
2. Is it wise of R. Daneel to reveal a serious weakness to a human, especially one who has a wife who is hostile to robots.
3. What can R. Daneel gain by revealing this weakness? Is R. Daneel capable of knowing intuitively that he needs to offer his trust to Lije?
4. Is it possible that R. Daneel is becoming more than what he was created to do? Is this one of the dangers of artificial intelligence?
Essay Topic 2
It is immediately apparent that there is a conflict between humans and robots. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of man versus robots.
2. Discuss how you think robots would change our culture today if they started performing most of the service occupations.
3. Do you think the fears about robots in THE CAVES OF STEEL is justified? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)