|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the possible suspect?
2. Who does Lije think may be responsible for the murder?
3. What does Lije ask Fastolfe?
4. What makes it difficult for humans to enter Spacetown?
5. Of what does Fastolfe dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
2. What shocks Lije about his new partner, R. Daneel, and why do you think this bothers Lije so much?
3. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
4. What is it about Fastolfe's age that most Earthmen would find extraordinary and do you think you would enjoy his lifespan?
5. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
6. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
7. How does Dr. Fastolfe explain the Spacers's paranoia about contact with Earthmen?
8. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
9. What is disconcerting about Jesse's announcement after she comes home from a night out?
10. Why do the Spacers want Earthmen to accept robots among them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems obvious that Lije wants to keep his professional life separate from his private/family life. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways does Lije try to separate his private from his professional life?
2. Do you think it is healthy for a person to keep their private lives and professional/work lives completely separate? Why or why not?
3. When you were a child, how aware were you of what your Mom/Dad did career wise? Do you wish they had told you more?
Essay Topic 2
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
Essay Topic 3
We eventually learn that the Spacers set up Lije as an experiment to see if human beings could be made to live in peaceful co-existence with robots. They inject Lije with a drug that eventually makes Lije defend robots. Discuss the following:
1. Was it ethical to inject Lije without his permission?
2. If an Earthman has to be injected with a drug to make them accept robots, then how do you think the Spacers could pull off drugging all, or even a small portion of the 50 billion humans on Earth?
3. If there were a way to drug someone to gain his/her cooperation or to change their minds about something, do you think the government of the United States would use such a drug? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)