|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Daneel threatening to use a blaster against a human?
2. How does Daneel think an Earthman could enter the Spacer territory?
3. What will Lije receive if he agrees to working with a robot?
4. What does Lije believe Enderby will think about Lije's theory of the murder?
5. Who is the possible suspect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
2. Why can't Daneel use cerebroanalysis to find the murderer?
3. How is R. Daneel able to assure Lije of Enderby's innocence and does Daneel's explanation seem plausible?
4. Who does Lije call in Washington, D.C. and why does Lije call the man?
5. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
6. Why did Dr. Sarton engage in robotic research?
7. Compare the relationship of Enderby and Lije with that of Lije and Daneel at the conclusion of the novel.
8. What childhood story makes Lije re-think Enderby as the murder suspect and why do you think Lije makes the connection between the story and Enderby?
9. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
10. What does the visit to Yeast town demonstrate?
Essay Topic 1
When Lije first enters Spacetown, he states that he has solved the case and believes Dr. Sarton is still alive and points to Daneel. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Lije's reasoning is sound for coming to the conclusion he does?
2. What does it say about Enderby that he is laughing hysterically at Lije?
3. Would you have been as willing to look foolish and make such a proclamation? Why or why not?
4. Was Lije a bit premature in his claim?
Essay Topic 2
THE CAVES OF STEEL is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres?
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree or not? Explain.
3. Discuss why THE CAVES OF STEEL falls under the genre of science fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast R. Daneel Olvaw with Lije.
2. Compare/contrast Lije with Enderby.
3. Compare/contrast Dr. Sarton with Dr. Fastolfe.
This section contains 3,158 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)