|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lije's response to Jesse's fears?
(a) That she is being childish.
(b) That Lije is safer as a cop than in many other professions.
(c) That Jesse's job is safe as long as Lije helps Enderby.
(d) That she is still young enough for another child.
2. Who disagrees with Lije's idea?
(a) The store manager.
(b) Lije's boss.
(d) Lije's friend who happens by.
3. Why does Enderby think Dr. Sarton is dead?
(a) Dr. Sarton's wife identified his dead body.
(b) He saw the man's corpse.
(c) He has the body in the morgue.
(d) He got a note from Sarton saying he was fearful someone was trying to kill him.
4. What is the reason for some of the riots?
(a) The lack of safety precautions in factories.
(b) They are not sure.
(c) Robots looking too human.
(d) Robots taking over men's jobs.
5. What will Lije receive if he agrees to working with a robot?
(a) Prestige among his colleagues.
(b) A large raise.
(c) New knowledge about how robots operate.
(d) A grateful boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one clue that makes Lije think Daneel is human?
2. What does Lije explain to the women?
3. What does Lije wonder about his Spacetown robot partner?
4. What is Enderby about to tell Baley?
5. What do Lije and Daneel do after the store patrons calm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
2. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
3. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
4. Who is the murder victim and what do the Spacers think about his murder?
5. Why do the Spacers want Earthmen to accept robots among them?
6. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
7. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
8. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
9. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
10. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)