|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Lije prefer Enderby to deal?
(a) The government.
(b) The White-collar crimes.
(c) The paperwork.
(d) The Spacers.
2. What is the average life expectancy for a male on Fastolfe's home planet, Aurora?
(a) 180 years.
(b) 200 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 350 years.
3. What does Lije think is odd about Daneel being "programmed" for justice?
(a) Daneel was angry in the shoe store.
(b) It is an abstract feeling and robots cannot have abstract feelings.
(c) Daneel was not seeking justice in the shoe store.
(d) It is not the right kind of emotion for a cop robot.
4. What does Lije want to do as the crowd grows?
(a) Spray tear gas on them.
(b) Shoot his gun into the air to quiet them.
(c) Call a riot squad.
(d) Push the fire alarm.
5. What does R. Daneel arrange?
(a) To have lunch with some other robots.
(b) For Lije and him to visit the Spacer world.
(c) To fly to the Spacer world in a new type of helicopter.
(d) To meet the Spacer president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lije and Daneel do after the store patrons calm?
2. What does Lije say to Enderby about R. Daneel?
3. Why does Lije's father lose his job at the power plant?
4. What happened to Enderby three days earlier?
5. What did Roj Nemennuh Sarton think would produce a world like the one the Spacers wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
2. Why is Lije unwilling to ask for reassignment from this case and what is Jesse's attitude about Lije's position on the force?
3. How are robots used by Earthmen versus Spacers?
4. What is it about R. Daneel that makes it difficult for Lije to believe Daneel is not human?
5. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
6. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
7. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
8. What possible theme is already apparent in this first chapter?
9. What is it about Fastolfe's age that most Earthmen would find extraordinary and do you think you would enjoy his lifespan?
10. How does Dr. Fastolfe explain the Spacers's paranoia about contact with Earthmen?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)