|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Roj Nemennuh Sarton think would produce a world like the one the Spacers wanted?
(a) Creating androids that actually could reproduce.
(b) Everyone going vegetarian.
(c) The integration of robots with human society.
2. What will Lije receive if he agrees to working with a robot?
(a) Prestige among his colleagues.
(b) New knowledge about how robots operate.
(c) A grateful boss.
(d) A large raise.
3. Who is Roj Nemennuh Sarton?
(a) The head of the Spacer administration.
(b) The forensics specialist.
(c) The suspect.
(d) The murder victim.
4. What does Lije question about Enderby?
(a) If Enderby knows Dr. Sarton's widow.
(b) If Enderby knows why Spacers are so distant from the City dwellers.
(c) If Enderby has a way into the Spacer world.
(d) If Enderby knows how to interact with a android.
5. Who is Jesse?
(a) Lije's boss's daughter.
(b) Lije's best friend.
(c) Lije's wife.
(d) Lije's ex-girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the robot and Lije encounter on the way to Lije's home?
2. Who does Lije think may be responsible for the murder?
3. What is difficult for Lije about the robot?
4. Of what does Daneel remind Lije?
5. What is Jesse's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lije observe about R. Daneel and what might be the implication of this observation?
2. What is the process Lije has to go through to enter Spacetown and does this seem an invasion of privacy?
3. What is established at the opening of the novel?
4. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
5. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
6. Why do the Spacers want Earthmen to accept robots among them?
7. Why do you think Bentley seems conflicted about R. Daneel?
8. How and why is light regulated in the City's artificial environment?
9. What does Lije state about the murder of Dr. Sarton and how is his analysis received by Dr. Fastolfe and Enderby?
10. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)