|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Jesse ask Lije?
(a) What he had for dinner.
(b) Why he is late.
(c) The shoe store incident.
(d) Why he brought a robot home.
2. What is one thing that may be difficult for Lije in working with the robot?
(a) He will not be able to use his usual methods of interrogation.
(b) He will have to live with the robot.
(c) He will have to learn the necessary maintenance skills for the robot's well being.
(d) He will have to live in outer space.
3. What does Fastolfe fear?
(a) That Dr. Sarton was doing something unethical.
(b) That the general public thinks Spacers are afraid of Earthmen.
(c) That the Spacers could be wiped out by disease.
(d) That the general public would want to visit Spacers.
4. Of what does Fastolfe dream?
(a) Total integration of the Spacers and Earthmen.
(b) An egalitarian universe.
(c) A cross-breeding between robots and men.
(d) A way to immortality.
5. Where do Lije and his two sisters live after his father dies?
(a) In a homeless shelter.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) With their grandmother.
(d) With their older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does R. Daneel arrange?
2. Who warms up to Daneel quickly?
3. What is the relationship of Jesse and Lije's counterparts in the Bible?
4. What is the reason for some of the riots?
5. How are the Spacers vulnerable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Lije feels about bringing home a robot who is his professional partner?
2. What is the problem that Lije and R. Daneel encounter at the shoe store, and do you think the women are justified?
3. What is the unexpected result of Lije's accusations about R. Daneel?
4. What is Lije's rationale for believing Dr. Sarton is not dead, but that the Spacers want the Earthmen to believe Dr. Sarton is murdered by a City dweller?
5. Why is R. Daneel so different from other robots?
6. Does it seem Jessie's uneasiness about R. Daneel is her peculiar belief or do others share her sentiments?
7. What do you think is the significance of the fact that the family is required to eat in the community kitchen most of the week?
8. Why is Lije upset by R. Daneel's actions to control the crowd?
9. How has the word "city" changed in the time of this novel?
10. Do you think Lije's personal feelings about robots and his experience with R. Daneel in the shoe store will interfere with his job as a police officer to investigate the Spacer death with R. Daneel?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)