|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What radical, authoritarian nationalist political ideology advocates the creation of a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of a nation through indoctrination, physical education, and family policy including eugenics?
2. What is a phrase used to describe the communist states within the Soviet Union's sphere of influence or those countries that had centrally-planned economies?
3. In Cleveland, Moe Berg stayed at the home of whom in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
4. What civil engineer during World War II was the chief of foreign intelligence for the Manhattan Engineer District directing espionage against the German nuclear energy project?
5. After World War II began to resolve itself, Moe Berg was sent home and arrived in Newark on what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Moe Berg visit in January of 1946 in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company? What was his objective in the visit?
2. On what radio show did Moe Berg appear in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"? Why did he discontinue appearing on the show?
3. How did Moe Berg obtain information about Walther Bothe in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"? What did he learn about Italian and German atomic resources?
4. When did the CIA offer Moe Berg a contract in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"? How was his relationship with the CIA?
5. What did Moe Berg spend the summer of 1944 doing? What driver accompanied him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
6. After returning from Switzerland in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company," where did Moe Berg go next? What happened to the OSS?
7. Where did Moe travel in his work for the OIAA in Chapter 9, "Southern Junket"?
8. Who assisted Moe Berg in tracking down information about Heisenberg in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
9. What was the AZUSA mission in which Moe Berg was involved in Chapter 10, "Remus Heads for Rome"?
10. What scientist did Moe Berg meet first in Rome in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creation of public image in athletes and celebrities. How did the world of the media differ in Moe Berg's time than today? How have sports media in particular changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Moe Berg's family and parents, Bernard Berg and Rose Tashker. Why did Bernard Berg leave the Ukraine to move to America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the world of professional baseball in the 1920s. What was the significance of Berg signing with the Robins? How did his family react?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)