|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Moe Berg given to commit suicide with after he assassinated Werner Heisenberg?
2. When did the CIA offer Moe Berg a contract in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
3. The U.S. government was deeply concerned that Werner Heisenberg would perfect what weapon before American scientists?
4. What did the OSS become after its dissolution in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"?
5. AGARD was an agency of NATO that existed from 1952 to when?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who established the OIAA in Chapter 9, "Southern Junket"? What was its purpose?
2. Why did Moe Berg dislike rooming with DiMaggio in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"? What job was he offered in this chapter?
3. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1935 season? How is his performance described in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"?
4. What led to the Cold War, as described in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"?
5. What did Moe Berg spend the summer of 1944 doing? What driver accompanied him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
6. Why was Moe Berg sent to Zurich in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"? What did he learn about Joliot-Curie there?
7. Who did Moe Berg visit in January of 1946 in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company? What was his objective in the visit?
8. Where did Moe travel in his work for the OIAA in Chapter 9, "Southern Junket"?
9. How did Moe Berg obtain information about Walther Bothe in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"? What did he learn about Italian and German atomic resources?
10. Why did the the SSU have a problem with Moe Berg in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"? What was the outcome of this conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world of professional baseball in the 1920s. What was the significance of Berg signing with the Robins? How did his family react?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of OIAA, the OSS and the CIA. What political climate led to the creation of these institutions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the later years of Moe Berg's life. Where and how did Berg die? What legacy did he leave behind?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)