|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expert sharpshooter was employed to kill Heisenberg, but at the last minute his mission was canceled in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
2. The U.S. government was deeply concerned that Werner Heisenberg would perfect what weapon before American scientists?
3. Edoardo Amaldi told Moe Berg that the Germans were how far from perfecting the science of the atomic bomb?
4. Moe's boss with the OSS instructed Moe to investigate an optical laboratory named what in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
5. What old friend from the Franklin Institute did Moe Berg visit in Philadelphia in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what radio show did Moe Berg appear in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"? Why did he discontinue appearing on the show?
2. Who did the OSS send Moe Berg to visit in June, 1945, in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"? What did he accomplish in this visit?
3. What did Moe Berg spend the summer of 1944 doing? What driver accompanied him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
4. After returning from Switzerland in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company," where did Moe Berg go next? What happened to the OSS?
5. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1935 season? How is his performance described in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"?
6. What was the U.S. Government's principle concern over the German scientist described in Chapter 10, "Remus Heads for Rome"?
7. Who did Moe Berg mentor in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"?
8. When did the CIA offer Moe Berg a contract in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"? How was his relationship with the CIA?
9. How did the OIAA begin courting Moe Berg in Chapter 9, "Southern Junket"?
10. Where did Moe Berg travel in the spring of 1944 for the OSS in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationships between academics and sports in the life of Moe Berg. How and why did Berg's scholarly background and interests set him apart from his peers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the camera Moe Berg brought with him to Japan and on MovietoneNews, with whom he'd signed a contract. What was Berg commissioned to film?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins and history of OIAA, the OSS and the CIA. What political climate led to the creation of these institutions?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)