|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. President established the military order of the Office of Strategic Services?
2. Who did Moe Berg sign with in April of 1924?
3. Moe Berg worked as a baseball coach until what year?
4. What was Moe Berg's father's profession by the time Moe entered college?
5. When was Moe Berg born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
2. What led to Moe Berg's second Japan trip in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? What other ballplayers went on the tour?
3. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"? How many games did he play?
4. What happened in Moe Berg's baseball career when he returned from Paris in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
5. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
6. How is Moe Berg's relationship with the press described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"? What were Berg's academic qualities?
7. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
8. Where did Moe Berg take a non-baseball-related job in 1930 in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
9. With whom did Moe Berg play in the 1923 baseball season? Where did he go in Paris when the season ended in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"?
10. What university did Moe enter in 1919? What was his demeanor there described as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the locations and sites of Moe Berg's travels in the Middle East and the Orient in 1932. What countries impressed Berg the most? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Earl Averill, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx and Lefty Gomez and Moe Berg's second trip to Japan. What Japanese all-star team did they play against?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Moe Berg's career with the Red Sox and appearances on "Information, Please!" Who was the host of the show and what other individuals were regular guests?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)