|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picked up Moe Berg after his unconditional release from the Cleveland Indians?
2. What refers to a fielder's ability to move from his position to field a ball in play in baseball?
3. What is a body of senior uniformed leaders in the United States Department of Defense who advise the Secretary of Defense, the Homeland Security Council, the National Security Council and the President on military matters?
4. When did Berg report to the Senators training camp after returning from Japan?
5. Moe Berg ended up getting into only how many games in the entire 1930 season?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
2. How is Moe Berg's relationship with the press described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"? What were Berg's academic qualities?
3. What university did Moe enter in 1919? What was his demeanor there described as?
4. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1933 season in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? How was his performance described?
5. What did Bernard Berg study to become after leaving the laundry business in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? How did Bernard feel about religion?
6. Describe Dr. Sam Berg. What was his relationship with his brother Moe?
7. How often did Moe Berg play in the 1930 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
8. Describe Moe Berg's rooftop filming in Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera." Where did he film from?
9. What was John Kieran credited with in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
10. Why did Moe Berg begin the 1926 season late in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creation of public image in athletes and celebrities. How did the world of the media differ in Moe Berg's time than today? How have sports media in particular changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the locations and sites of Moe Berg's travels in the Middle East and the Orient in 1932. What countries impressed Berg the most? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Moe Berg's family and parents, Bernard Berg and Rose Tashker. Why did Bernard Berg leave the Ukraine to move to America?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)