|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his second Japan trip, Moe Berg convinced Babe Ruth that he learned Japanese in what amount of time?
2. Where did Moe Berg earn his law degree?
3. In what year did Moe Berg complete his professional baseball career?
4. How many games did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season?
5. Where did Moe Berg attend several classes while in Paris in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What academic success did Moe Berg attain in Chapter 3, "The Stiff Collar"? What athletic success?
2. Where did Moe Berg travel after his first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
3. How is Moe Berg's relationship with the press described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"? What were Berg's academic qualities?
4. What led to Moe Berg becoming a permanent catcher for the White Sox in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
5. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
6. Describe Moe Berg's rooftop filming in Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera." Where did he film from?
7. What happened in Moe Berg's baseball career when he returned from Paris in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
8. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
9. Where did Moe Berg take a non-baseball-related job in 1930 in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
10. What theory does the author put forth regarding Bernard Berg's relationship with his children in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creation of public image in athletes and celebrities. How did the world of the media differ in Moe Berg's time than today? How have sports media in particular changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the baseball career of Moe Berg from 1924-1926. For what teams did Moe Play and how often was he on the bench?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John Kieran and his role in creating and perpetuating the image of Moe Berg. When did Kieran first meet Berg?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)