|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starting catcher went down in the 1932 season, allowing Moe Berg to step in?
2. What was an alignment of great powers during the mid-20th century that fought World War II and included Germany, Italy and Japan?
3. What CIA museum curator idolizes Moe Berg as described in the Prologue?
4. Where was Moe Berg invited to attend spring training in 1932?
5. What refers to the official list of players who are eligible to play in a given game and to be included on the lineup card for that game in baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Moe Berg's first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
2. What baseball teams approached Moe Berg after college graduation in Chapter 3, "The Stiff Collar"? Who did Moe Berg sign with?
3. Where did Moe Berg go to work after quitting baseball, as described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
4. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
5. What did Bernard Berg study to become after leaving the laundry business in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? How did Bernard feel about religion?
6. Why did Moe Berg begin the 1926 season late in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
7. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1933 season in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? How was his performance described?
8. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
9. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"? How many games did he play?
10. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Herb Hunter, Lefty O'Doul and Ted Lyons, and discuss the organization of Berg's first trip to Japan. What were Berg's impressions of Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Moe Berg's family and parents, Bernard Berg and Rose Tashker. Why did Bernard Berg leave the Ukraine to move to America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Moe Berg's missions and travels for OIAA. Where did Berg travel in South America and who knew of his whereabouts?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)