|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What manager of the Giants did Moe Berg have dinner in Paris with in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"?
2. What does RBI stand for?
3. In the baseball season of 1929, where was Moe Berg injured?
4. In 1926, Moe informed his team that he would not be able to join them until two months into the season because he needed to do what?
5. On his second Japan trip, Moe Berg convinced Babe Ruth that he learned Japanese in what amount of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What baseball teams approached Moe Berg after college graduation in Chapter 3, "The Stiff Collar"? Who did Moe Berg sign with?
2. Describe Dr. Sam Berg. What was his relationship with his brother Moe?
3. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"? How many games did he play?
4. Describe Moe Berg's baseball career in the 1924-1925 seasons in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit." For what teams did Moe play?
5. What led to Moe Berg's second Japan trip in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? What other ballplayers went on the tour?
6. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
7. What did Moe Berg do to earn a high impression from John McGraw in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"? What academic pursuits did Moe Berg attain in Paris?
8. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
9. Why did Moe Berg begin the 1926 season late in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
10. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moe Berg's fascination with language. How many languages did Berg study while at Princeton? What, aside from baseball, intrigued Berg as a potential profession?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the baseball career of Moe Berg from 1924-1926. For what teams did Moe Play and how often was he on the bench?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the later years of Moe Berg's life. Where and how did Berg die? What legacy did he leave behind?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)