|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part of the reason Moe was a quiet student in college was an underlying prejudice against what that existed at the school at the time?
2. In 1925, Moe played so well that the Chicago Cubs wanted him, but what team had an option on him that they quickly exercised?
3. When did Berg report to the Senators training camp after returning from Japan?
4. Who collected Moe Berg paraphernalia, including pictures and papers given to him by Sam Berg, as described in the Prologue?
5. From what village in the Ukraine was Bernard Berg?
Short Essay Questions
1. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1933 season in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? How was his performance described?
2. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
3. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
4. What theory does the author put forth regarding Bernard Berg's relationship with his children in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
5. How often did Moe Berg play in the 1930 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
6. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
7. Where did Moe Berg go to work after quitting baseball, as described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
8. What did Bernard Berg study to become after leaving the laundry business in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? How did Bernard feel about religion?
9. Where did Moe Berg travel after his first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
10. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Herb Hunter, Lefty O'Doul and Ted Lyons, and discuss the organization of Berg's first trip to Japan. What were Berg's impressions of Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the baseball career of Moe Berg from 1924-1926. For what teams did Moe Play and how often was he on the bench?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the later years of Moe Berg's life. Where and how did Berg die? What legacy did he leave behind?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)