|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what team did Moe Berg play in Reading, Pennsylvania?
2. What was an organization designed to spread propaganda in South and Central America to keep the citizens of those countries on the side of the United States during World War II?
3. On his second Japan trip, Moe Berg convinced Babe Ruth that he learned Japanese in what amount of time?
4. On what date did the group of three players began their circuit of Japanese universities in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
5. How many languages did Moe Berg study while earning his B.A. degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
2. What was John Kieran credited with in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
3. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
4. How often did Moe Berg play in the 1930 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
5. What did Bernard Berg study to become after leaving the laundry business in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? How did Bernard feel about religion?
6. What led to Moe Berg's first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
7. Why did Moe Berg begin the 1926 season late in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
8. Describe Moe Berg's baseball career in the 1924-1925 seasons in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit." For what teams did Moe play?
9. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
10. What was the principle objective of Bernard Berg as described in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world of professional baseball in the 1920s. What was the significance of Berg signing with the Robins? How did his family react?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Moe Berg's missions and travels for OIAA. Where did Berg travel in South America and who knew of his whereabouts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the creation of public image in athletes and celebrities. How did the world of the media differ in Moe Berg's time than today? How have sports media in particular changed?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)