|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does OIAA stand for?
2. In the baseball season of 1929, where was Moe Berg injured?
3. What starting catcher went down in the 1932 season, allowing Moe Berg to step in?
4. Where did Moe Berg graduate with a B.A. degree?
5. When was Moe Berg born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What baseball teams approached Moe Berg after college graduation in Chapter 3, "The Stiff Collar"? Who did Moe Berg sign with?
2. What led to Moe Berg becoming a permanent catcher for the White Sox in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
3. Where did Moe Berg go to work after quitting baseball, as described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
4. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
5. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
6. How does the author describe Moe Berg's impact on those around him in the Prologue?
7. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1933 season in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? How was his performance described?
8. What led to Moe Berg's second Japan trip in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? What other ballplayers went on the tour?
9. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
10. Describe Moe Berg's baseball career in the 1924-1925 seasons in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit." For what teams did Moe play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impressions of Moe Berg by Linda McCarthy, Allan Siegal, Charles Owen and George Allen. How did each of these individuals know Moe Berg?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of OIAA, the OSS and the CIA. What political climate led to the creation of these institutions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John Kieran and his role in creating and perpetuating the image of Moe Berg. When did Kieran first meet Berg?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)