|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Moe Berg when he begged his mother to let him start school?
2. What refers to a fielder's ability to move from his position to field a ball in play in baseball?
3. During an exhibition game against what team did Moe Berg tear a knee ligament?
4. Moe Berg ended up getting into only how many games in the entire 1930 season?
5. In 1925, Moe played so well that the Chicago Cubs wanted him, but what team had an option on him that they quickly exercised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
2. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
3. What academic success did Moe Berg attain in Chapter 3, "The Stiff Collar"? What athletic success?
4. How often did Moe Berg play in the 1930 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
5. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1933 season in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? How was his performance described?
6. Where did Moe Berg take a non-baseball-related job in 1930 in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
7. Where did Moe Berg go to work after quitting baseball, as described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
8. What was John Kieran credited with in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
9. Describe Dr. Sam Berg. What was his relationship with his brother Moe?
10. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the relationship between Estella Huni and Moe Berg. How was their relationship described? Who among Berg's friends and family did Estella meet?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the baseball career of Moe Berg from 1924-1926. For what teams did Moe Play and how often was he on the bench?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins and history of OIAA, the OSS and the CIA. What political climate led to the creation of these institutions?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)