|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1926, Moe informed his team that he would not be able to join them until two months into the season because he needed to do what?
2. What was Moe Berg's father's profession by the time Moe entered college?
3. What does RBI stand for?
4. The Office of Strategic Services was established by a Presidential military order in what year?
5. Who arranged for three players to go to Japan to teach baseball seminars at Japanese universities during the winter of 1932?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the principle objective of Bernard Berg as described in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
2. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"? How many games did he play?
3. What led to Moe Berg taking position as the starting catcher for the Senators in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? When did the Senators release Berg?
4. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
5. What led to Moe Berg's first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
6. Describe Moe Berg's rooftop filming in Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera." Where did he film from?
7. What was John Kieran credited with in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
8. What theory does the author put forth regarding Bernard Berg's relationship with his children in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
9. How often did Moe Berg play in the 1930 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
10. Where did Moe Berg take a non-baseball-related job in 1930 in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the career Moe Berg had with the White Sox. How many games did Moe average per season? How did he fare statistically?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Herb Hunter, Lefty O'Doul and Ted Lyons, and discuss the organization of Berg's first trip to Japan. What were Berg's impressions of Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John Kieran and his role in creating and perpetuating the image of Moe Berg. When did Kieran first meet Berg?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)