|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was Moe Berg stuck owing to the United States government for an unfulfilled contract after a film and stationary business went bankrupt in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
2. After his guest stint on a radio quiz show, who told Moe Berg, "Berg, in just thirty minutes you did more for baseball than I've done the entire time I've been commissioner"?
(a) Kenesaw Mountain Landis.
(b) William Eckert.
(c) Ford Frick.
(d) A. B. "Happy" Chandler, Sr.
3. How many times was Ted Williams an All-Star?
4. What was a unique variety of fascism that incorporated biological racism and antisemitism during WWII?
5. Following World War II, Werner Heisenberg was appointed director of what institution?
(a) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Physics.
(b) The Newtons School of Physics.
(c) The King Edward II Institute for Physics.
(d) The Einstein Institute of Physics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edoardo Amaldi told Moe Berg that the Germans were how far from perfecting the science of the atomic bomb?
2. What radio quiz show was Moe Berg a guest on in 1939?
3. What Russian physicist developed a new method for liquefaction of air with a low-pressure cycle using a special high-efficiency expansion turbine in 1939?
4. What old friend from the Franklin Institute did Moe Berg visit in Philadelphia in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
5. Shortly after leaving the SSU and settling in his brother's home, Moe learned that his business partner in a film and stationary business called what had gone bankrupt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Moe Berg spend the summer of 1944 doing? What driver accompanied him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
2. When did the CIA offer Moe Berg a contract in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"? How was his relationship with the CIA?
3. Who did the OSS send Moe Berg to visit in June, 1945, in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"? What did he accomplish in this visit?
4. Who assisted Moe Berg in tracking down information about Heisenberg in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
5. What assignment did Moe Berg's boss with the OSS give him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
6. What scientist did Moe Berg meet first in Rome in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
7. Why was Moe Berg sent to Zurich in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"? What did he learn about Joliot-Curie there?
8. What led to the Cold War, as described in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"?
9. How did Moe Berg obtain information about Walther Bothe in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"? What did he learn about Italian and German atomic resources?
10. What young aeronautical engineer did Moe Berg track down in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"? What was the outcome of the mission?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)