|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Moe Berg's driver in Italy in the summer of 1944?
(a) Walther Bothe.
(b) Paul Scherrer.
(c) Aldo Icardi.
(d) Joseph Grew.
2. In late 1944/early 1945, Moe Berg began reporting to the OSS office in Bern lead by whom?
(a) Allen Dulles.
(b) Tony Calvert.
(c) Carl Eifler.
(d) H.P. Robertson.
3. What is a war that results when opposing powers use third parties as substitutes for fighting each other directly?
(a) Proxy war.
(b) War of substitution.
(c) Partner war.
(d) War of subordinates.
4. The optical laboratory Moe Berg was directed to investigate in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy" was thought to be helping compress fissionable material for Germany's what?
(a) Nuclear bombs.
(b) Dirty bombs.
(c) Plutonium bombs.
(d) Atomic bombs.
5. When did the CIA offer Moe Berg a contract in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Following World War II, Werner Heisenberg was appointed director of what institution?
2. What theoretical physicist informed Moe Berg that many physicists made routine visits to Switzerland for conferences and lectures in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
3. The OIAA courted Moe Berg in the spring of what year, often coming to him at the ballpark to discuss his possible role with them?
4. How many seasons did Moe Berg play with the Boston Red Sox?
5. Who was Moe Berg's Alsos's counterpart in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moe Berg's final days in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar." How did Berg survive during this time?
2. What assignment did Moe Berg's boss with the OSS give him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
3. What scientist did Moe Berg meet first in Rome in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
4. What German scientist did the U.S. have concern for in Chapter 10, "Remus Heads for Rome"?
5. After returning from Switzerland in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company," where did Moe Berg go next? What happened to the OSS?
6. What financial troubles did Moe Berg encounter in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
7. What led to the Cold War, as described in Chapter 12, "Always Good Company"?
8. What did Moe Berg spend the summer of 1944 doing? What driver accompanied him in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
9. What led to the establishment of the OSS in Chapter 9, "Southern Junket"? What was the OSS?
10. Why did Moe Berg dislike rooming with DiMaggio in Chapter 8, "Mr. Berg, You've Been Brilliant"? What job was he offered in this chapter?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)