|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two players other than Moe Berg went to Japan to teach baseball seminars at Japanese universities during the winter of 1932?
(a) Niels Bohr and Harry Broley.
(b) Walther Bothe and Otto Hahn.
(c) Lefty O'Doul and Ted Lyons.
(d) John Kieran and Tony Calvert.
2. Who established and headed the OIAA?
(a) William Donovan.
(b) John Kieran.
(c) Herb Hunter.
(d) Nelson D. Rockefeller.
3. How many games did Moe Berg play in the season of 1933?
4. Moe Berg went to Saint Luke's Hospital ostensibly to visit the daughter of what American ambassador?
(a) Tony Calvert.
(b) Joseph Grew.
(c) Aldo Icardi.
(d) Antonio Ferri.
5. What refers to the official list of players who are eligible to play in a given game and to be included on the lineup card for that game in baseball?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sports columnist was credited with creating the public image of Moe Berg in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
2. What does RBI stand for?
3. Part of the reason Moe was a quiet student in college was an underlying prejudice against what that existed at the school at the time?
4. What was Moe Berg's major for which he earned a B.A. degree?
5. What was an organization designed to spread propaganda in South and Central America to keep the citizens of those countries on the side of the United States during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Moe Berg's second Japan trip in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? What other ballplayers went on the tour?
2. What happened in Moe Berg's baseball career when he returned from Paris in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
3. What happened academically and in Moe Berg's sports career in 1929 in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
4. What university did Moe enter in 1919? What was his demeanor there described as?
5. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
6. For whom did Moe Berg play in the 1931 season in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"? How many games did he play?
7. What theory does the author put forth regarding Bernard Berg's relationship with his children in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"?
8. What did Moe Berg take along with him on his second trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"? Who had contracted Berg?
9. With whom did Moe Berg play in the 1923 baseball season? Where did he go in Paris when the season ended in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"?
10. Describe Moe Berg's baseball career in the 1924-1925 seasons in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit." For what teams did Moe play?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)