|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Moe Berg born?
(a) June 19, 1906.
(b) May 2, 1909.
(c) April 7, 1899.
(d) March 2, 1902.
2. The teams that approached Moe Berg after his college graduation were looking for a player who was what in order to bring in fans?
(d) Clean cut.
3. Where was Moe Berg born?
(a) Boston, MA.
(b) Portland, ME.
(c) Columbus, OH.
(d) New York, NY.
4. What refers to the official list of players who are eligible to play in a given game and to be included on the lineup card for that game in baseball?
5. Who established and headed the OIAA?
(a) Nelson D. Rockefeller.
(b) John Kieran.
(c) Herb Hunter.
(d) William Donovan.
Short Answer Questions
1. During an exhibition game against what team did Moe Berg tear a knee ligament?
2. In 1926, Moe informed his team that he would not be able to join them until two months into the season because he needed to do what?
3. On what date did the group of three players began their circuit of Japanese universities in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
4. What was a royal palace in Paris which stood on the right bank of the River Seine until 1871, when it was destroyed in the upheaval during the suppression of the Paris Commune?
5. Moe Berg worked as a baseball coach until what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Moe Berg's first trip to Japan in Chapter 7, "Strange Foreigner with Camera"?
2. How does author Nicholas Dawidoff describe Moe Berg's sports persona in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
3. What university did Moe enter in 1919? What was his demeanor there described as?
4. How is Moe Berg's relationship with the press described in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"? What were Berg's academic qualities?
5. What was John Kieran credited with in Chapter 1, "The Public Berg: Professor Moe"?
6. When did Bernard Berg immigrate to America in Chapter 2, "Youth: Runt Wolfe"? What job did he take?
7. What happened in Moe Berg's baseball career when he returned from Paris in Chapter 5, "Good Field, No Hit"?
8. How does the author describe Moe Berg's impact on those around him in the Prologue?
9. Where did Moe Berg take a non-baseball-related job in 1930 in Chapter 6, "You Never Knew He Was Around"?
10. With whom did Moe Berg play in the 1923 baseball season? Where did he go in Paris when the season ended in Chapter 4, "Robin in Paris"?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)