|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first Italian scientist on Moe Berg's list to visit in Rome in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy"?
(a) Edoardo Amaldi.
(b) Aldo Icardi.
(c) Antonio Ferri.
(d) Dr. Otto Hahn.
2. After the dissolution of the OSS, two of Moe's beloved supervisors, including who, resigned and planned to return to practicing law?
(a) William Donovan.
(b) John Kieran.
(c) Roy Spencer.
(d) John McGraw.
3. Following World War II, Werner Heisenberg was appointed director of what institution?
(a) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Physics.
(b) The Einstein Institute of Physics.
(c) The King Edward II Institute for Physics.
(d) The Newtons School of Physics.
4. Who was Moe Berg's driver in Italy in the summer of 1944?
(a) Aldo Icardi.
(b) Walther Bothe.
(c) Joseph Grew.
(d) Paul Scherrer.
5. When the OSS was formed, it was styled after what intelligence operation in England?
6. When did the United States join the fighting in World War II?
7. What was the batting average of Ted Williams?
8. What is a phrase used to describe the communist states within the Soviet Union's sphere of influence or those countries that had centrally-planned economies?
(a) Third World.
(b) Second World.
(c) Fourth World.
(d) First World.
9. What civil engineer during World War II was the chief of foreign intelligence for the Manhattan Engineer District directing espionage against the German nuclear energy project?
(a) Allan Siegal.
(b) Ted Lyons.
(c) Robert Furman.
(d) Harry Broley.
10. What consultant for the Arthur D. Little Company did Moe Berg meet in Boston in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
(a) Roy Spencer.
(b) Joseph Grew.
(c) Harry Broley.
(d) Charles Owen.
11. What President called for the formation of the OSS?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Herbert Hoover.
(c) Harry S. Truman.
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
12. What old friend from the Franklin Institute did Moe Berg visit in Philadelphia in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
(a) H.P. Robertson.
(b) G.C. Wick.
(c) I.M. Levitt.
(d) C.A. Dulles.
13. The optical laboratory Moe Berg was directed to investigate in Chapter 11, "A Perfect Spy" was thought to be helping compress fissionable material for Germany's what?
(a) Atomic bombs.
(b) Nuclear bombs.
(c) Dirty bombs.
(d) Plutonium bombs.
14. When was Werner Heisenberg born?
15. After his playing career ended, Moe Berg was a Red Sox coach in what years?
(a) 1944 and 1945.
(b) 1940 and 1941.
(c) 1948 and 1949.
(d) 1938 and 1939.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lise Meitner was a physicist in exile from where?
2. In Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar," Moe Berg became a regular at Princeton, arriving at the home of what old friend the night of the game and gaining an invitation to dinner and a place to stay for the night?
3. What fellow OSS agent and friend did Moe Berg visit in Oklahoma in Chapter 13, "A Life Without Calendar"?
4. How long was Dom DiMaggio's baseball career?
5. In Chapter 12, "Always Good Company," Moe Berg was sent to Zurich for a lecture by what physicist?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)