|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Holden want to go with Sally?
2. What does Holden want to buy for Phoebe?
3. What class does Holden tell Mr. Antolini about?
4. What do Holden and Phoebe do when he goes back to D.B.'s room?
5. What does Holden give Phoebe before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden put his suitcases under his bed at Elkton Hills?
2. Why does Holden think his sister not coming to his funeral would be the only good thing about him dying of pneumonia?
3. Why does Holden imagine he was shot by Maurice?
4. Why does Holden end the novel where he does?
5. Why is Holden so upset when Phoebe tells him to shut up?
6. Why does Holden feel better when he is looking around D.B.'s room?
7. How has Carl changed when Holden meets him at the Wicker Bar?
8. Why does Holden start to cry when he is saying goodbye to Phoebe?
9. Why does Carl suggest Holden see a psychoanalyst?
10. Why is Phoebe angry when she realizes Holden got kicked out of Pencey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Holden's concern for the ducks in the lagoon. What is his concern? Why is he concerned? How does Holden address his concern? What does this concern reveal about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the red hunting hat. What does the red hunting had symbolize? Why is the hat important to Holden? Why does he give it to Phoebe?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the final chapter of The Catcher in the Rye. Is this a satisfying ending? Why or why not? What, if any, unanswered questions does the author leave the reader with? Why?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)