|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holden do when he arrives at the hotel?
2. Where does Mr. Antolini make up a bed for Holden?
3. Who goes into the men's room while Holden is there?
4. Where does Holden go from his apartment?
5. What makes Holden feel ill at Mr. Antolini's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden start to cry when he is saying goodbye to Phoebe?
2. What does it reveal about Holden when he finally tells Phoebe what he likes?
3. Why does Holden call Sally when he is drunk?
4. Why does Holden put his suitcases under his bed at Elkton Hills?
5. Why does Holden end the novel where he does?
6. Why does Carl suggest Holden see a psychoanalyst?
7. Why does Holden have so much respect for Mr. Antolini?
8. Why does Holden imagine he was shot by Maurice?
9. Why does Holden think his sister not coming to his funeral would be the only good thing about him dying of pneumonia?
10. Why is Holden so emotional when he sees Phoebe on the carousel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Holden's use of fantasy throughout the novel. What scenes and situations does he imagine? Why does he create these fantasies for himself? How do these fantasies affect the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the final chapter of The Catcher in the Rye. Is this a satisfying ending? Why or why not? What, if any, unanswered questions does the author leave the reader with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Holden's relationship with Jane Gallagher. Why is Jane important to Holden? How can you tell? What role does Jane play in the novel? How does she affect Holden's decisions in the novel?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)