|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maurice send up to Holden's room?
2. Where does Holden decide to go at the end of the chapter?
3. Who does Holden tell the girls in the club he saw?
4. What does Holden trip on as he goes into Ackley's room?
5. Who caused the disturbance in the chapel when Ossenburger was speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden like that Jane puts her hand on the back of his neck?
2. Why does Mr. Spencer read Holden's essay on the Egyptians to him?
3. Why does Holden feel bad about not telling Mrs. Morrow his real name?
4. Why does Holden ask Ackley about joining a monastery?
5. Why does Holden think Jane cried when her stepfather asked about his cigarettes?
6. Why does Stradlater criticize Holden's composition about Allie's baseball mitt?
7. Why does Holden feel sad when he shakes Mr. Spencer's hand to say goodbye?
8. Why does Holden shout to the boys in his dorm as he leaves?
9. Why does Holden decide not to have sex with Sunny? What does he tell her?
10. Why do the girls say they have to leave the Lavender Room so abruptly? Why do they really leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and define the elements of a story arc. Identify the major plot points in The Catcher in the Rye that coordinate with those elements.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Holden's view of women, particularly as they relate to intimate relationships and sex. How does Holden react when faced with the prospect of sex? How does Holden express genuine affection for women? What women in the novel does he care about? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the point of view of The Catcher in the Rye. How is the point of view identified? How does the point of view affect the novel? Why does the author use this point of view to tell the novel?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)