|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Ackley?
2. What hotel does Holden go to when he first arrives in New York?
3. What operation does Holden tell the woman he has to have?
4. What does Holden tell the woman his name is?
5. What does Holden ask the cab driver about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Holden so upset when he discusses Stradlater's date?
2. Why does Holden feel sad when he shakes Mr. Spencer's hand to say goodbye?
3. Why does Holden shout to the boys in his dorm as he leaves?
4. Why does Ackley grunt a response when Stradlater says hello to him?
5. How is Allie's baseball mitt described?
6. What five people does Holden think of calling when he arrives at Penn Station?
7. Why does Holden stay at Ernie's even though “jerks and phonies” surround him?
8. Why does Holden keep watching the “perverts” he sees out his hotel window?
9. Compare and contrast Ackley and Stradlater, according to Holden's descriptions.
10. Why does Holden refer to D.B.'s writing in Hollywood as prostitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the phrase “catcher in the rye.” What does this phrase mean to Holden? What does it mean to the reader? What does this phrase mean to the overall novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define foreshadowing. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing in The Catcher in the Rye. Is the foreshadowing used in the novel effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and describe each of Holden's siblings. What role do his siblings play in the novel? What role does he play in their lives? What role does family play in Holden's life? How can you tell?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)