|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holden make while Ackley gets ready?
2. Why does Holden say he left Elkton Hills?
3. How much does Holden give Sunny?
4. What illness does Mr. Spencer have?
5. What does Holden think Mr. Spencer yelled at him as he shut the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ackley grunt a response when Stradlater says hello to him?
2. Why does Holden get nervous when he talks to Stradlater in the bathroom?
3. Why does Holden like writing about Allie's baseball mitt?
4. Why does Holden ask Ackley about joining a monastery?
5. Compare and contrast Ackley and Stradlater, according to Holden's descriptions.
6. Why does Holden keep watching the “perverts” he sees out his hotel window?
7. How does Holden wish he had handled his missing gloves as opposed to how he would likely have handled it?
8. How is Allie's baseball mitt described?
9. Why does Holden stay at Ernie's even though “jerks and phonies” surround him?
10. What five people does Holden think of calling when he arrives at Penn Station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Holden's use of fantasy throughout the novel. What scenes and situations does he imagine? Why does he create these fantasies for himself? How do these fantasies affect the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define foreshadowing. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing in The Catcher in the Rye. Is the foreshadowing used in the novel effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and define the elements of a story arc. Identify the major plot points in The Catcher in the Rye that coordinate with those elements.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)