|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Ackley?
2. On what floor is Holden's family apartment?
3. Where does Holden decide to go at the end of the chapter?
4. How did Holden comfort Jane when she cried during the checkers game?
5. Who does Holden decide to call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holden wish he had handled his missing gloves as opposed to how he would likely have handled it?
2. Why does Holden say he was glad to meet the Navy guy even though he is not?
3. Why does Ackley grunt a response when Stradlater says hello to him?
4. Why does Mr. Spencer read Holden's essay on the Egyptians to him?
5. Why does Holden refer to D.B.'s writing in Hollywood as prostitution?
6. What two reasons does Holden give for not talking about his early childhood?
7. Why is Holden so upset when he discusses Stradlater's date?
8. Why does Holden like that Jane puts her hand on the back of his neck?
9. Why does Holden shout to the boys in his dorm as he leaves?
10. How is Allie's baseball mitt described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define foreshadowing. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing in The Catcher in the Rye. Is the foreshadowing used in the novel effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Holden's concern for the ducks in the lagoon. What is his concern? Why is he concerned? How does Holden address his concern? What does this concern reveal about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and define the three different types of narration used in literature. What type of narrator is Holden? How can you tell? How does Holden's role as this type of narrator affect the novel?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)