|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holden shout as he leaves the dorm?
2. What is the name of the book of short stories written by D.B.?
3. What is Holden's cab driver's name?
4. What game did Holden used to play with Stradlater's date?
5. Where do Mal and Holden want to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden feel sad when he shakes Mr. Spencer's hand to say goodbye?
2. Why does Holden stay at Ernie's even though “jerks and phonies” surround him?
3. Why does Holden decide not to have sex with Sunny? What does he tell her?
4. Why does Holden keep watching the “perverts” he sees out his hotel window?
5. Why does Ackley get on Holden's nerves?
6. Why does Holden think Jane cried when her stepfather asked about his cigarettes?
7. Why does Ackley grunt a response when Stradlater says hello to him?
8. Why do the girls say they have to leave the Lavender Room so abruptly? Why do they really leave?
9. Why does Holden like that Jane puts her hand on the back of his neck?
10. What does Holden think of his siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of the novel. How do you know this is the climax? Could any other scenes be considered the climax? If so, which ones, and why? How does the beginning of the novel lead up to the climax? How is the novel resolved after the climax?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the red hunting hat. What does the red hunting had symbolize? Why is the hat important to Holden? Why does he give it to Phoebe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Holden Caulfield. What conflicts are there between what Holden says about himself, and his words and actions? Why do these conflicts exist? What do these conflicts reveal about Holden?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)