|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of Eastern culture does Carl say he likes better than Western?
2. Where does Holden want to go with Sally?
(a) Massachusetts and Vermont.
3. What does Holden say about money?
(a) It makes you happy.
(b) It makes you jealous.
(c) It makes you blue.
(d) It makes you crazy.
4. Who does Holden say is not as bad as everyone else?
(a) His mother.
(b) The psychoanalyst.
5. Where did Holden room with Harris Macklin?
(a) Whooton School.
(c) Pencey Prep.
(d) Elkton Hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Holden allegedly owe the person who comes to his door?
2. What is Phoebe's full name?
3. What does Holden think will happen to him when he crosses streets?
4. Where does Holden initially look for Phoebe?
5. What time is Holden's date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden imagine he was shot by Maurice?
2. Why is Holden so emotional when he sees Phoebe on the carousel?
3. What does Holden thinking he will disappear as he crosses the street symbolize, and why does he call out to Allie for help?
4. Why did it bother Holden that the boys in his Oral Expression class yelled “Digression!” during speeches?
5. Why does Holden end the novel where he does?
6. Why does Holden react the way he does when he wakes up to Mr. Antolini patting his head?
7. What does it reveal about Holden when he finally tells Phoebe what he likes?
8. How has Carl changed when Holden meets him at the Wicker Bar?
9. Why does it make Holden sad when Phoebe asks why he got kicked out of Pencey?
10. Why does Holden wish he could change his memory of Allie and the BB guns?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)