|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Holden tell Phoebe to meet him?
(a) The Biltmore.
(b) Right outside her school.
(c) Central Park.
(d) The Museum of Art.
2. What does Holden say about money?
(a) It makes you blue.
(b) It makes you happy.
(c) It makes you crazy.
(d) It makes you jealous.
3. What does Carl order at the Wicker Bar?
(a) A dry martini.
(b) A beer.
(c) A scotch and soda.
(d) A rum and Coke.
4. Who does Holden call when he was drunk?
(b) Carl Luce.
(c) Sally Hayes.
(d) Jane Gallagher.
5. What cheers Holden up as he walks?
(a) A boy singing as he walks on the sidewalk.
(b) A girl that reminds him of Phoebe.
(c) A girl skipping and humming.
(d) A boy walking his dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Holden sleep after leaving Mr. Antolini's apartment?
2. Who goes into the men's room while Holden is there?
3. Why does Holden want Carl to stay for one more drink?
4. Who killed himself at Elkton Hills?
5. Where does Holden say he will be instead of where his father will send him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden want to move to the West and pretend to be a deaf-mute?
2. How has Carl changed when Holden meets him at the Wicker Bar?
3. What does Holden thinking he will disappear as he crosses the street symbolize, and why does he call out to Allie for help?
4. Why does Holden think it does not seem like Christmas is coming soon?
5. Why does it make Holden sad when Phoebe asks why he got kicked out of Pencey?
6. Why does Holden almost wish his parents caught him sneaking out of the apartment?
7. Why does Holden want to be the “catcher in the rye?”
8. Why is Holden confused when Sally tells him to stop yelling?
9. Why is Holden drawn to the boy singing as he walks down the street?
10. Why does Holden start to cry when he is saying goodbye to Phoebe?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)