|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holden say about Mrs. Antonlini’s cake?
(a) It was “the best cake I ever had.”
(b) It “tastes like a flour sack.”
(c) It “needed a little longer in the oven.”
(d) It is “as hard as a rock.”
2. What name is written inside Phoebe's arithmetic book?
(a) Phoebe Weatherfield Caulfield.
(b) Phoebe Caulfield, Esq.
(c) Phoebe Danger Caulfield.
(d) Phoebe Josephine Caulfield.
3. Where does Holden initially look for Phoebe?
(a) Rockefeller Center.
(b) At the museum.
(d) At the park.
4. Where did Holden room with Harris Macklin?
(a) Pencey Prep.
(b) Elkton Hills.
(d) Whooton School.
5. What cheers Holden up as he walks?
(a) A boy singing as he walks on the sidewalk.
(b) A girl that reminds him of Phoebe.
(c) A girl skipping and humming.
(d) A boy walking his dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holden say happens if you tell anyone anything?
2. What class does Holden tell Mr. Antolini about?
3. What does Holden eat at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What does Holden accidentally do to two nuns?
5. Where does Holden go instead of looking for Phoebe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holden react the way he does when he wakes up to Mr. Antolini patting his head?
2. What does it reveal about Holden when he finally tells Phoebe what he likes?
3. Why does Holden put his suitcases under his bed at Elkton Hills?
4. Why did it bother Holden that the boys in his Oral Expression class yelled “Digression!” during speeches?
5. Why does Holden think it does not seem like Christmas is coming soon?
6. Why does Holden wish he could change his memory of Allie and the BB guns?
7. Why does Holden scold Phoebe for putting ink on Curtis Weintraub's windbreaker?
8. Why does Holden regret telling his novel?
9. Why does Holden say he would volunteer to sit on an atomic bomb if there is another war?
10. Why is Holden so emotional when he sees Phoebe on the carousel?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)