|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holden reveal about himself in the first sentence of Chapter 3?
(a) He is a terrific liar.
(b) He hates phonies.
(c) He is scared of his father.
(d) He will miss Mr. Spencer.
2. How much does Holden give Sunny?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
3. Who is the narrator of the novel?
4. What does Holden think Mr. Spencer yelled at him as he shut the door?
(a) “Don't give up!”
(b) “Good luck!”
(c) “Come back!”
5. What does Holden decide to do after leaving Ackley's room?
(a) To go home early.
(b) To apologize to Stradlater.
(c) To go outside and smoke.
(d) To visit Jane Gallagher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel does Holden go to when he first arrives in New York?
2. What does Holden's cab smell like?
3. What does Holden make while Ackley gets ready?
4. What is the school Holden attends at the beginning of the novel?
5. Who does Holden say is the only “dumb” child in his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Ackley and Stradlater, according to Holden's descriptions.
2. How does Holden wish he had handled his missing gloves as opposed to how he would likely have handled it?
3. What does Holden think of his siblings?
4. Why does Holden like writing about Allie's baseball mitt?
5. Why does Holden feel bad about not telling Mrs. Morrow his real name?
6. Why does Ackley get on Holden's nerves?
7. Why does Holden keep watching the “perverts” he sees out his hotel window?
8. Why does Mrs. Morrow think her son is not a good mixer with other boys?
9. Why is Holden so upset when he discusses Stradlater's date?
10. Why does Holden decide not to have sex with Sunny? What does he tell her?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)