|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holden's cab smell like?
(a) Cigarette smoke.
2. How much does Holden give Sunny?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
3. What does Holden ask the cab driver about?
(a) If he'd read D.B.'s book.
(b) The Museum of Art.
(c) The ducks in the lagoon.
(d) A good place to eat breakfast.
4. What religion does Ackley follow?
5. Who does Maurice send up to Holden's room?
(b) The manager.
6. What essay does Mr. Spencer read to Holden?
(a) Mr. Spencer has Holden read the essay.
(b) Stradlater's essay that Holden wrote.
(c) An essay about New York.
(d) Holden's essay on the Egyptians.
7. What is the school Holden attends at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Pencey Prep.
(c) Whooton School.
(d) Elkton Hills.
8. What game does Holden want to play with Ackley?
9. What happens to the woman as she gets out of a cab?
(a) She tore her skirt.
(b) She broke a nail.
(c) She stepped in a puddle.
(d) She broke a heel.
10. What kind of dog relieved himself on Holden's parents' lawn?
(a) A greyhound.
(b) A dachshund.
(c) An afghan.
(d) A Doberman pinscher.
11. Who is Stradlater's date?
12. How is Holden involved with the school's fencing team?
(a) He is the captain.
(b) He is the manager.
(c) He is an alternate on the team.
(d) His father is the coach, so he helps.
13. Why is Holden back early from the fencing match?
(a) He left the equipment on the subway.
(b) He quit the team.
(c) He got lost and gave up.
(d) The team lost, so they did not need to stay any longer.
14. What does Marty call Buddy's clarinet?
(a) That jazz reed.
(b) A licorice stick.
(c) An oboe.
(d) A horn.
15. Why does Holden think Ernie is a phony?
(a) He is a big snob.
(b) He has sold himself out.
(c) He hates people.
(d) He is a bad piano player.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Holden comfort Jane when she cried during the checkers game?
2. What favor does Stradlater ask of Holden?
3. What does Holden decide to do after leaving Ackley's room?
4. Who comes to Holden's mind as he leaves the club?
5. On what floor is Holden's family apartment?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)