Chapters 1 and 2
• Holden Caulfield is the protagonist and narrator of the novel. He tells his novel from a rest home after a breakdown.
• The novel of his breakdown begins at Pencey Prep, at the end of the fall term. He is passing only English, and was told not to return for the spring term.
• The Saturday before Christmas break he forgets the fencing team's equipment on the subway, forcing everyone to return early. He takes this opportunity to say goodbye to the school.
• Holden goes to the home of Mr. Spencer, his former teacher, who is elderly and has the flu. Mrs. Spencer lets him in to say goodbye to the teacher, whom he respects greatly.
Chapters 3 and 4
• Mr. Spencer tries to lecture Holden about his academics, telling Holden that “life is a game,” and that Holden must learn to play by the rules.
• Holden does not want...
This section contains 3,117 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)