|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had C. C. hinted about Ben's financial situation?
2. When Ben buys drinks for everyone, what does Qwilleran observe about Ben's money?
3. Who does Qwilleran suspect of causing the loud noise?
4. Who does Qwilleran take on a search of his building?
5. From where does Qwilleran believe KoKo has been finding things he leaves for Qwilleran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the pattern of the sole of Russell Patch's boots?
2. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
3. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
4. Why does Qwilleran leash Koko and take him of a tour of the Cobb building?
5. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
6. How does Braun draw out the suspense with Qwilleran's reading of Andy's manuscript?
7. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Mary?
8. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
9. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
10. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)