|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Qwilleran thinking about when he goes to bed after leaving the bar?
2. What mystery is solved after Qwilleran and Mary find the secret space?
3. Who does Qwilleran suspect of causing the loud noise?
4. Who goes with Qwilleran to visit Russell Patch?
5. Who does Qwilleran take on a search of his building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was C. C. supposedly looking for in the Ellsworth house?
2. What does Qwilleran learn from reading the manuscript that explains the calls for horse braces?
3. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
4. After going to the Garrick Theatre with Ben, what does Qwilleran observe at the bar called The Lion's Tail?
5. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
6. Why do Qwilleran and Mary move the bookshelf in his apartment?
7. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
8. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
9. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
10. Why does Mary seem much happier when Qwilleran sees her after C. C.'s murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Double Standards of Morality". Using Glanz as an example, discuss his double standards from an apparent high moral ground to clandestine sexual affairs, concealing ill-gotten money, and passing moral judgments on others.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)