|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only one who had read Andy's novel?
2. Visiting the Fluxion office, what does Riker tell Qwilleran?
3. Who tells Qwilleran that Iris Cobb's assumed ghost was really C. C. playing tricks on his wife?
4. On Christmas Eve how does Koko keep distracting Qwilleran?
5. How does Qwilleran first try to discover who the drug dealer is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the pattern of the sole of Russell Patch's boots?
2. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
3. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
4. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
5. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
6. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
7. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
8. Who does Qwilleran suspect the drug dealer to be?
9. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
10. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Double Standards of Morality". Using Glanz as an example, discuss his double standards from an apparent high moral ground to clandestine sexual affairs, concealing ill-gotten money, and passing moral judgments on others.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)