|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Prantz is searching for radios in C. C.'s apartment, whet does Qwilleran notice?
2. What is The Lion's Tail?
3. While Qwilleran is in Iris's shop, who surprises him with a visit?
4. What does Qwilleran learn about the Chandelier in Andy's shop?
5. Visiting the Fluxion office, what does Riker tell Qwilleran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Qwilleran suspect the drug dealer to be?
2. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Mary?
3. Why does Qwilleran finally get around to hanging the Mackintosh coat of arms, and who comes to help him do it?
4. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
5. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
6. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
7. What was C. C. supposedly looking for in the Ellsworth house?
8. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
9. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
10. After going to the Garrick Theatre with Ben, what does Qwilleran observe at the bar called The Lion's Tail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on the topic, "I Believe that the Novel Would [or Would Not] Make a Good Movie". Express your opinion as to (1) whether a movie of the novel would have enough action to make it good, (2) how difficult or easy would it be to maintain suspense in a screenplay, and (3) what would be the most difficult part about filming the story? [Hint: Getting cats to do what you want them to do.]
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)