|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Andy contemplating on selling, according to Mary Duckworth?
2. Where is the antique dealers' meeting held?
3. Who does Qwilleran suspect of causing the loud noise?
4. What device does Mary bring Qwilleran to help his injured knee?
5. What was the original purpose of the space Qwilleran and Mary discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Qwilleran suspect the drug dealer to be?
2. What does Yum Yum show Qwilleran and where was it?
3. Why do Qwilleran and Mary move the bookshelf in his apartment?
4. What does Qwilleran learn from reading the manuscript that explains the calls for horse braces?
5. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
6. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
7. After Mary leaves, what does Qwilleran do to show that he is a genuine cat lover?
8. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
9. How does Braun draw out the suspense with Qwilleran's reading of Andy's manuscript?
10. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How I Would Write a Murder Mystery". This is strictly an opinion piece in which you define how you would set up the murder, complicate the plot, and resolve the situation.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)