|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Qwilleran thinking about when he goes to bed after leaving the bar?
2. Who does Qwilleran suspect of causing the loud noise?
3. When someone comes in asking for horse braces, what are they really looking for?
4. Who is Cluthra, the woman C. C. was having an affair with?
5. At Patch's house, what sends Koko into a frenzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
2. What was C. C. supposedly looking for in the Ellsworth house?
3. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
4. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
5. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
6. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
7. Why does Qwilleran leash Koko and take him of a tour of the Cobb building?
8. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
9. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
10. What does Mary find strange about Qwilleran's list of sales and inquiries while he was manning Iris's shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran's Character as a Lover of Cats". Three questions should be answered in your essay: (1) Does Qwilleran's affinity to his cats make him appear weak? (2) Does his care for Koko and Yum Yum transfer over into his concern for people? (3) Does Qwilleran overestimate the ability of his cats to help him find clues?
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)