|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Qwilleran as he unfolds the piece of foil the cats have left for him?
2. Who visits Qwilleran in his apartment only to be snubbed by Koko?
3. What does Qwilleran learn Russell's roommate actually does?
4. When Ben comes to Qwilleran's room for a visit, what does Qwilleran try to get him to admit?
5. Why does Qwilleran take a cat to Russell Patch's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
2. After Mary leaves, what does Qwilleran do to show that he is a genuine cat lover?
3. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
4. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
5. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
6. What amusing information does Cluthra provide when Qwilleran goes to visit her?
7. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
8. Why do Qwilleran and Mary move the bookshelf in his apartment?
9. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
10. How does Braun draw out the suspense with Qwilleran's reading of Andy's manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on the topic, "I Believe that the Novel Would [or Would Not] Make a Good Movie". Express your opinion as to (1) whether a movie of the novel would have enough action to make it good, (2) how difficult or easy would it be to maintain suspense in a screenplay, and (3) what would be the most difficult part about filming the story? [Hint: Getting cats to do what you want them to do.]
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why Innocent Characters Must Be Suspects in a Mystery Novel". From Braun's novel, use Hollis Krantz, Iris Cobb, and Mary Duckworth as potential murderers within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran's Character as a Lover of Cats". Three questions should be answered in your essay: (1) Does Qwilleran's affinity to his cats make him appear weak? (2) Does his care for Koko and Yum Yum transfer over into his concern for people? (3) Does Qwilleran overestimate the ability of his cats to help him find clues?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)