|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran find in the new desk Iris gave him?
2. Which character in the novel has "an expensive sound system"?
3. What mystery is solved after Qwilleran and Mary find the secret space?
4. Where do Qwilleran and Ben go on a late night "scrounge."?
5. what illegal activity does Qwilleran learn about from the manuscript?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How I Would Write a Murder Mystery". This is strictly an opinion piece in which you define how you would set up the murder, complicate the plot, and resolve the situation.
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)