|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is The Lion's Tail?
2. What device does Mary bring Qwilleran to help his injured knee?
3. What do Qwilleran and Mary discover in his apartment?
4. When Koko turns on the tape player again, what do Qwilleran and Ben hear?
5. When Ben buys drinks for everyone, what does Qwilleran observe about Ben's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
2. What does Mary find strange about Qwilleran's list of sales and inquiries while he was manning Iris's shop?
3. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
4. What is interesting about the pattern of the sole of Russell Patch's boots?
5. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
6. Why does Qwilleran finally get around to hanging the Mackintosh coat of arms, and who comes to help him do it?
7. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
8. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
9. What was C. C. supposedly looking for in the Ellsworth house?
10. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)