|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran hear on the tape he found?
2. What do Qwilleran and Mary discover about Andy's unreported income?
3. What is the meeting about among the antique dealers?
4. Back home, what does Iris say about the radio Hollis Prantz was looking for?
5. When someone comes in asking for horse braces, what are they really looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qwilleran find in Nicolas's apartment after he has a meal with him?
2. After Mary leaves, what does Qwilleran do to show that he is a genuine cat lover?
3. Why do Qwilleran and Mary move the bookshelf in his apartment?
4. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
5. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
6. What does Mary find strange about Qwilleran's list of sales and inquiries while he was manning Iris's shop?
7. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
8. Why does Qwilleran leash Koko and take him of a tour of the Cobb building?
9. What does Yum Yum show Qwilleran and where was it?
10. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How Qwilleran is Portrayed as a Cat Lover". Use in your essay the following: (1) Qwilleran will not rent an apartment unless cats are permitted to live there, (2) the special food Qwilleran is always bringing to his felines, and (3) the way Qwilleran talks to the cats and his interpretations of things they bring him to see.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why Innocent Characters Must Be Suspects in a Mystery Novel". From Braun's novel, use Hollis Krantz, Iris Cobb, and Mary Duckworth as potential murderers within the novel.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)