|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran discover that Andy Glanz was doing before his murder?
2. What is Qwilleran first told Russell's roommate does for a living?
3. What interrupts Qwilleran as he first sits down to read the manuscript?
4. After leaving the police station, who is the person he leaves Iris with?
5. As Qwilleran begins reading Andy's manuscript, what becomes clear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yum Yum show Qwilleran and where was it?
2. What is interesting about the pattern of the sole of Russell Patch's boots?
3. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
4. What is the significance of the surprise visitor to Iris's shop while Qwilleran is taking his turn managing it?
5. What does Qwilleran learn from reading the manuscript that explains the calls for horse braces?
6. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
7. What amusing information does Cluthra provide when Qwilleran goes to visit her?
8. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
9. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
10. Why does Qwilleran leash Koko and take him of a tour of the Cobb building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How Qwilleran is Portrayed as a Cat Lover". Use in your essay the following: (1) Qwilleran will not rent an apartment unless cats are permitted to live there, (2) the special food Qwilleran is always bringing to his felines, and (3) the way Qwilleran talks to the cats and his interpretations of things they bring him to see.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)