Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Qwilleran in his apartment only to be snubbed by Koko?
2. What is rumored that former mayor Ellsworth had hidden in the house where C. C. was murdered?
3. After Mary leaves, what does Qwilleran ask his cats?
4. What is Cluthra's theory about Mary's broken foot?
5. On his outing with Ben, what important observation does Qwilleran make?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran As a Detective". What are his credentials as a detective? Is there a link between a police detective and a journalist? How much does Qwilleran rely on the instincts of his cats? Is that realistic?
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)