|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Christmas Eve how does Koko keep distracting Qwilleran?
2. What does Qwilleran hear on the tape he found?
3. What interrupts Qwilleran as he first sits down to read the manuscript?
4. What do Qwilleran and Mary discover in his apartment?
5. What does Qwilleran learn Russell's roommate actually does?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yum Yum show Qwilleran and where was it?
2. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
3. What was C. C. supposedly looking for in the Ellsworth house?
4. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
5. How does Braun draw out the suspense with Qwilleran's reading of Andy's manuscript?
6. Why do Qwilleran and Mary move the bookshelf in his apartment?
7. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
8. What does Mary find strange about Qwilleran's list of sales and inquiries while he was manning Iris's shop?
9. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
10. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran that might possibly prove to be a motive for Andy's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran's Character as a Lover of Cats". Three questions should be answered in your essay: (1) Does Qwilleran's affinity to his cats make him appear weak? (2) Does his care for Koko and Yum Yum transfer over into his concern for people? (3) Does Qwilleran overestimate the ability of his cats to help him find clues?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)