|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Iris categorize Miss Duckworth since Glanz's death?
2. What puts Qwilleran off about Ben Nicolas?
3. Who does Qwilleran tell about the mystery surrounding Glanz' death?
4. After dropping off the heavy coat of arms, who is the next antique dealer Qwilleran goes to interview?
5. What does Miss Duckworth talk Qwilleran into buying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yum Yum show Qwilleran and where was it?
2. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
3. What information does Mrs. McGuffey give Qwilleran about the Cobb house?
4. Why does Iris not buy the police explanation of what happened?
5. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
6. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
7. After going to the Garrick Theatre with Ben, what does Qwilleran observe at the bar called The Lion's Tail?
8. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
9. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
10. Why does Qwilleran finally get around to hanging the Mackintosh coat of arms, and who comes to help him do it?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why Innocent Characters Must Be Suspects in a Mystery Novel". From Braun's novel, use Hollis Krantz, Iris Cobb, and Mary Duckworth as potential murderers within the novel.
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)