|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way home, who does Qwilleran overhear having an argument?
2. What is one supernatural theory about Glanz death?
3. What odd thing occurs with Koko back in the new apartment?
4. How does Miss Duckworth make a melodramatic appearance in the novel?
5. What does Qwilleran set out to do his first morning at his new apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
2. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
3. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
4. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
5. Why does Iris not buy the police explanation of what happened?
6. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
7. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
8. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
9. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
10. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Value of Mystery Novels as Escapism in Literature". Define escapism, point out how mystery stories put readers into situations they are unlikely to experience in real life, and compare mystery stories to word games and puzzles as a diversion.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)