|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two items of furniture moved into Qwilleran's rooms before he moves in?
2. What is scheduled to take place the afternoon Qwilleran arrives in Junktown?
3. What does Iris bring to Qwilleran in his room?
4. What is the surprising purchase made by C. C. Cobb at the auction?
5. The morning after the visit with Mary, what puzzles Qwilleran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
2. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
3. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
4. Describe the character of C. C. Cobb.
5. How does Patch refute the suggestion that he was fired by Andy Glanz for drinking.
6. Explain the deciding factor for Qwilleran to take the apartment.
7. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
8. Why does Iris come to Qwilleran's apartment early one morning?
9. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
10. Explain the development arising from the urgent barking of Mary's dog.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on the topic, "I Believe that the Novel Would [or Would Not] Make a Good Movie". Express your opinion as to (1) whether a movie of the novel would have enough action to make it good, (2) how difficult or easy would it be to maintain suspense in a screenplay, and (3) what would be the most difficult part about filming the story? [Hint: Getting cats to do what you want them to do.]
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)