|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gossip about the finial?
2. What is Qwilleran doing when Iris Cobb enters his room?
3. Why does Miss Duckworth try to sell the Mackintosh Coat of Arms to Qwilleran?
4. Why does Miss Duckworth not use her real name?
5. What does Qwilleran notice about Nicolas's hat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
2. Discuss the relationship between Qwilleran and his cats.
3. Describe the character of C. C. Cobb.
4. What does Qwilleran learn from reading the manuscript that explains the calls for horse braces?
5. Explain the deciding factor for Qwilleran to take the apartment.
6. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
7. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Ben Nicolas?
8. What arrangement does Qwilleran make with Mary?
9. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
10. When Qwilleran sees Mary again, why is see cool and distant like she was when he first met her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "A Comparison Between a Newspaper Reporter and a Crime Detective". Include in your essay (1) what they have in common, (2) how they are different, and (3) which, in your opinion, is more interesting to read about--the professional or the amateur.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Absence of Graphic Violence in Classic Murder Mystery Novels". Discuss in your essay how the actual murders are not "seen" within the classic murder mystery novel using examples from Braun's book. Define and discuss how the clues become more important in such novels than the actual crimes. Discuss how graphic violence has evolved into shock value scenes in modern TV shows and movies. Finally, give your opinion about the relative merits of each approach.
This section contains 1,922 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)