|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interests Qwilleran in a writing contest at the Daily Fluxion?
2. What does Iris tell Qwilleran about the ghost, Mathilda?
3. When Qwilleran meets Miss Duckworth again, what does she regret?
4. What seems to have no explanation at the crime scene?
5. How does locating Koko give Qwilleran pause to reflect on the death of Glanz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use conversation at the auction to introduce the main complications of the plot?
2. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
3. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
4. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
5. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
6. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
7. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
8. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
9. Discuss the relationship between Qwilleran and his cats.
10. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)