|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Iris helpful to Qwilleran at the auction?
2. Where is Iris Cobb's apartment she offers Qwilleran?
3. What does Qwilleran discover when he arrives in Junktown?
4. What amazes Qwilleran about the Mackintosh Coat of Arms?
5. What is the one shop Qwilleran eventually finds open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
2. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
3. What is Riker's advice to Qwilleran after he tells the editor about the mysterious circumstances surrounding Andy's death?
4. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
5. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
6. What startling suggestion does Qwilleran offer Mary regarding Andy's death?
7. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
8. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
9. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
10. Discuss the common theme of a series of novels that includes "The Cat Who Turned On and Off".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)