|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is settled before Qwilleran takes the apartment?
2. How does Miss Duckworth make a melodramatic appearance in the novel?
3. What is Russell doing when Qwilleran drops in?
4. Why did Miss Duckworth go to the Andy Glanz's shop the night she discovered the body?
5. What does Iris bring to Qwilleran in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions are raised in the mind of the reader when the Mackintosh Coat of Arms is introduced?
2. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
3. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
4. What is Riker's advice to Qwilleran after he tells the editor about the mysterious circumstances surrounding Andy's death?
5. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
6. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
7. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
8. Explain the deciding factor for Qwilleran to take the apartment.
9. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
10. What startling suggestion does Qwilleran offer Mary regarding Andy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "A Comparison Between a Newspaper Reporter and a Crime Detective". Include in your essay (1) what they have in common, (2) how they are different, and (3) which, in your opinion, is more interesting to read about--the professional or the amateur.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)