|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Duckworth talk Qwilleran into buying?
2. What is the customer in Ben's shop looking for?
3. What does everyone notice about C. C. Cobb's personality?
4. After leaving the Three Weird Sisters shop, where does Qwilleran go?
5. Why is Qwilleran disappointed before dinner after returning from Nicolas's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
2. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
3. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
4. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
5. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
6. Discuss the common theme of a series of novels that includes "The Cat Who Turned On and Off".
7. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
8. What is Riker's advice to Qwilleran after he tells the editor about the mysterious circumstances surrounding Andy's death?
9. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
10. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Would (or Would Not) Recommend this Novel to Others". This paper should be written as a review of the book concluding with your recommendation to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran As a Detective". What are his credentials as a detective? Is there a link between a police detective and a journalist? How much does Qwilleran rely on the instincts of his cats? Is that realistic?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)