|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Koko and Yum Yum?
2. Who does Russell say informed on C. C. Cobb?
3. Why does Miss Duckworth try to sell the Mackintosh Coat of Arms to Qwilleran?
4. What does everyone notice about C. C. Cobb's personality?
5. What does Iris tell Qwilleran about the ghost, Mathilda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
2. Discuss the common theme of a series of novels that includes "The Cat Who Turned On and Off".
3. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
4. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
5. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
6. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
7. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
8. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
9. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
10. What have the policemen concluded about Andy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on the topic, "I Believe that the Novel Would [or Would Not] Make a Good Movie". Express your opinion as to (1) whether a movie of the novel would have enough action to make it good, (2) how difficult or easy would it be to maintain suspense in a screenplay, and (3) what would be the most difficult part about filming the story? [Hint: Getting cats to do what you want them to do.]
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)