|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the idea Qwilleran comes up with as an article for the writing contest?
2. What idea does Qwilleran get about a subject for the writing contest?
3. What puts Qwilleran off about Ben Nicolas?
4. What is settled before Qwilleran takes the apartment?
5. Who is the mysterious and beautiful owner of the Blue Dragon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
2. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
3. What questions are raised in the mind of the reader when the Mackintosh Coat of Arms is introduced?
4. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
5. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
6. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
7. Discuss the common theme of a series of novels that includes "The Cat Who Turned On and Off".
8. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
9. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
10. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Value of Mystery Novels as Escapism in Literature". Define escapism, point out how mystery stories put readers into situations they are unlikely to experience in real life, and compare mystery stories to word games and puzzles as a diversion.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Qwilleran's Character as a Lover of Cats". Three questions should be answered in your essay: (1) Does Qwilleran's affinity to his cats make him appear weak? (2) Does his care for Koko and Yum Yum transfer over into his concern for people? (3) Does Qwilleran overestimate the ability of his cats to help him find clues?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)