|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the drunk Qwilleran saw when he arrived in Junktown?
2. What is Russell doing when Qwilleran drops in?
3. What is the surprising purchase made by C. C. Cobb at the auction?
4. What puts Qwilleran off about Ben Nicolas?
5. What crime does Qwilleran try to solve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
2. How does Patch refute the suggestion that he was fired by Andy Glanz for drinking.
3. Explain the development arising from the urgent barking of Mary's dog.
4. What questions are raised in the mind of the reader when the Mackintosh Coat of Arms is introduced?
5. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
6. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
7. Discuss the relationship between Qwilleran and his cats.
8. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
9. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
10. What is Riker's advice to Qwilleran after he tells the editor about the mysterious circumstances surrounding Andy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Absence of Graphic Violence in Classic Murder Mystery Novels". Discuss in your essay how the actual murders are not "seen" within the classic murder mystery novel using examples from Braun's book. Define and discuss how the clues become more important in such novels than the actual crimes. Discuss how graphic violence has evolved into shock value scenes in modern TV shows and movies. Finally, give your opinion about the relative merits of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Double Standards of Morality". Using Glanz as an example, discuss his double standards from an apparent high moral ground to clandestine sexual affairs, concealing ill-gotten money, and passing moral judgments on others.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)