|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran feed his Siamese cats he brought from the Press Club?
2. Who is the mysterious and beautiful owner of the Blue Dragon?
3. After leaving the Three Weird Sisters shop, where does Qwilleran go?
4. Why is Qwilleran disappointed before dinner after returning from Nicolas's shop?
5. Between the bidding, what does Qwilleran hear at the auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
2. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
3. Discuss the relationship between Qwilleran and his cats.
4. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
5. What startling suggestion does Qwilleran offer Mary regarding Andy's death?
6. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
7. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
8. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
9. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
10. When Qwilleran sees Mary again, why is see cool and distant like she was when he first met her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How I Would Write a Murder Mystery". This is strictly an opinion piece in which you define how you would set up the murder, complicate the plot, and resolve the situation.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)