Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to have no explanation at the crime scene?
2. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
3. Where does Qwilleran learn that Cluthra, Amberina, and Ivrene got their exotic names?
4. What amazes Qwilleran about the Mackintosh Coat of Arms?
5. Where is Koko when Qwilleran finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
2. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
3. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
4. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
5. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
6. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
7. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
8. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
9. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
10. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How Qwilleran is Portrayed as a Cat Lover". Use in your essay the following: (1) Qwilleran will not rent an apartment unless cats are permitted to live there, (2) the special food Qwilleran is always bringing to his felines, and (3) the way Qwilleran talks to the cats and his interpretations of things they bring him to see.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)