|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Russell Patch drive?
2. After dropping off the heavy coat of arms, who is the next antique dealer Qwilleran goes to interview?
3. How does Iris categorize Miss Duckworth since Glanz's death?
4. why does Iris wake Qwilleran the morning after their dinner in the Cobbs's apartment?
5. Returning from the Press Club, what odd thing does Qwilleran notice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
2. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
3. Why does Iris come to Qwilleran's apartment early one morning?
4. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
5. How does the author use conversation at the auction to introduce the main complications of the plot?
6. What startling suggestion does Qwilleran offer Mary regarding Andy's death?
7. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
8. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
9. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
10. When Qwilleran sees Mary again, why is see cool and distant like she was when he first met her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Value of Mystery Novels as Escapism in Literature". Define escapism, point out how mystery stories put readers into situations they are unlikely to experience in real life, and compare mystery stories to word games and puzzles as a diversion.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)