|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Duckworth decline Qwilleran's invitation to dinner?
2. What is the customer in Ben's shop looking for?
3. When Iris drops in on Qwilleran, what is her appearance/
4. What is Mary's explanation for the call taken by Qwilleran?
5. What does Qwilleran discover when he returns to his apartment after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
2. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
3. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
4. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
5. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
6. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
7. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
8. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
9. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
10. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Absence of Graphic Violence in Classic Murder Mystery Novels". Discuss in your essay how the actual murders are not "seen" within the classic murder mystery novel using examples from Braun's book. Define and discuss how the clues become more important in such novels than the actual crimes. Discuss how graphic violence has evolved into shock value scenes in modern TV shows and movies. Finally, give your opinion about the relative merits of each approach.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)