|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran think about Mary's explanation for the hang up call?
2. What does Miss Duckworth talk Qwilleran into buying?
3. What happens to the drunk Qwilleran saw when he arrived in Junktown?
4. What does Qwilleran learn from overhearing customers in the Blue Dragon?
5. What does Qwilleran set out to do his first morning at his new apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qwilleran learn from reading the manuscript that explains the calls for horse braces?
2. When Qwilleran sees Mary again, why is see cool and distant like she was when he first met her?
3. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
4. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
5. How does Braun draw out the suspense with Qwilleran's reading of Andy's manuscript?
6. How does Qwilleran mistake the source of the things Koko brings to him?
7. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
8. While Iris is away, what does Hollis Prantz come looking for?
9. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
10. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How Qwilleran is Portrayed as a Cat Lover". Use in your essay the following: (1) Qwilleran will not rent an apartment unless cats are permitted to live there, (2) the special food Qwilleran is always bringing to his felines, and (3) the way Qwilleran talks to the cats and his interpretations of things they bring him to see.
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)