|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qwilleran learn from overhearing customers in the Blue Dragon?
2. The morning after the visit with Mary, what puzzles Qwilleran?
3. What is the surprising purchase made by C. C. Cobb at the auction?
4. What does Qwilleran discover when he arrives in Junktown?
5. What does Qwilleran discover when he returns to his apartment after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
2. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
3. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
4. Explain the development arising from the urgent barking of Mary's dog.
5. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
6. When Qwilleran sees Mary again, why is see cool and distant like she was when he first met her?
7. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
8. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
9. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
10. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Art of Collecting Antiques". (1) Discuss how Mary is an authority on the value of antiques, (2) how just because a thing is old does not make it valuable, and (3) where the best places are to go looking for antiques. To spruce up your essay, you might want to research examples of people who have found fortunes at yard sales and in junk shops.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)