|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to have no explanation at the crime scene?
2. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
3. Where does Qwilleran learn that Cluthra, Amberina, and Ivrene got their exotic names?
4. What amazes Qwilleran about the Mackintosh Coat of Arms?
5. Where is Koko when Qwilleran finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
2. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
3. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
4. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
5. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
6. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
7. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
8. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
9. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
10. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Murder Mysteries Set Before the 21st Century". You may want to use example of writers beside Braun (e.g., Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, etc.) to discuss how clues and reasoning provide the solutions to the mysteries as opposed to DNA samples and other modern day crime solving techniques.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
This section contains 1,937 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)