|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Qwilleran run into at the grocery store?
2. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
3. What idea does Qwilleran get about a subject for the writing contest?
4. After dropping off the heavy coat of arms, who is the next antique dealer Qwilleran goes to interview?
5. What does Qwilleran learn about Iris Cobb at the auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
2. Discuss Mary Duxbury aka Mary Duckworth as a character.
3. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
4. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
5. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
6. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
7. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
8. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
9. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
10. In what way is Mary Duxbury (aka Mary Duckworth) a typical femme fatale in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)