|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way home, who does Qwilleran overhear having an argument?
2. How does Miss Duckworth make a melodramatic appearance in the novel?
3. Who is the flamboyant next door neighbor in the apartment house?
4. Whose name does Miss Duckworth supply to Qwilleran?
5. What is the surprising purchase made by C. C. Cobb at the auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
2. What startling suggestion does Qwilleran offer Mary regarding Andy's death?
3. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
4. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
5. How does Qwilleran happen to get an invitation to Mary Duckworth 's place his first night in his apartment?
6. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
7. What happens to Qwilleran as he leaves Ben Nicolas' shop?
8. How does the author use conversation at the auction to introduce the main complications of the plot?
9. Explain the deciding factor for Qwilleran to take the apartment.
10. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How I Would Write a Murder Mystery". This is strictly an opinion piece in which you define how you would set up the murder, complicate the plot, and resolve the situation.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why Innocent Characters Must Be Suspects in a Mystery Novel". From Braun's novel, use Hollis Krantz, Iris Cobb, and Mary Duckworth as potential murderers within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)