|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the customer like who enters Ben's shop while Qwilleran is there?
2. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
3. When Qwilleran meets Miss Duckworth again, what does she regret?
4. Who does Qwilleran tell about the mystery surrounding Glanz' death?
5. What is odd about the wall in the apartment Iris shows Qwilleran?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
2. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
3. What questions are raised in the mind of the reader when the Mackintosh Coat of Arms is introduced?
4. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
5. Why does Iris come to Qwilleran's apartment early one morning?
6. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
7. What information bombshell does Sylvia Katzenhide inadvertently drop when Qwilleran calls on her?
8. How does Patch refute the suggestion that he was fired by Andy Glanz for drinking.
9. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
10. Explain the development arising from the urgent barking of Mary's dog.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why Innocent Characters Must Be Suspects in a Mystery Novel". From Braun's novel, use Hollis Krantz, Iris Cobb, and Mary Duckworth as potential murderers within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Lilian Jackson Braun as a Mystery Writer". Select three or more elements of style (e.g., vocabulary, literary tools such as similes and metaphors, and/or building suspense at the end of a chapter to keep the pages turning. Discuss your selections in detail, and give your opinion as to Braun's effectiveness with these elements.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on Braun's Use of Red Herrings in "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Red herrings are stock in trade for mystery writers who put them in the plot to keep the reader guessing. Find at least three red herrings in the novel and explain how they are used to make the reader suspect different characters of actually being the murderer.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)