Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to have no explanation at the crime scene?
2. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
3. Where does Qwilleran learn that Cluthra, Amberina, and Ivrene got their exotic names?
4. What amazes Qwilleran about the Mackintosh Coat of Arms?
5. Where is Koko when Qwilleran finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
2. Explain who Qwilleran suspects of having gone to the Ellsworth House.
3. What is the evidence Qwilleran discovers outside the Ellsworth House?
4. what does Qwilleran eventually learn about how Russell Patch has the money to buy all his expensive equipment?
5. What does Riker tell Qwilleran about his writing when Qwilleran drops in at the Fluxion office?
6. How does Iris Cobb evaluate Andy Glanz?
7. How does Koko inadvertently solve the mystery?
8. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
9. What other mystery does Koko uncover at the end of the novel?
10. What does Qwilleran learn about Mary after she has had a couple of glasses of scotch?
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Introduction of Elements Important to Solving the Mystery". In the first five chapters of the novel, several important bits of information are introduced that will later have a bearing on the solution. Include in your essay a discussion of (1) the weight of the Mackintosh Coat of Arms, (2) the pot bellied stove which seems to serve no purpose, and (3) the emphasis placed on Andy Glanz's high moral standards that are not shared by other people in Junktown.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
This section contains 1,937 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)