|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Qwilleran's words and manner affect Miss Duckworth?
2. What indicates that the police think Andy's death was just an accident?
3. What kind of car does Russell Patch drive?
4. The morning after the visit with Mary, what puzzles Qwilleran?
5. Who are Koko and Yum Yum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Iris not buy the police explanation of what happened?
2. What is Mary Duckworth's confession to Qwilleran?
3. Describe how Qwilleran comes up with the idea of writing a feature called "Christmas in Junktown."
4. After feeding the cats, what disappoints Qwilleran?
5. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
6. How is the cab driver's conversation with Qwilleran on the way to Junktown a foreshadowing of the novel?
7. Discuss the common theme of a series of novels that includes "The Cat Who Turned On and Off".
8. What questions are raised in the mind of the reader when the Mackintosh Coat of Arms is introduced?
9. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
10. What have the policemen concluded about Andy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How to Look for Clues in a Mystery Novel". Using examples from the novel, discuss (1) how important clues such as the pot bellied stove are introduced in a trivial manner, (2) how to spot red herrings like Mary's disturbing phone calls, and (3) how to formulate theories in the same manner the detectives in the novel do.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Like [or Don't Like] Mystery Novels". This is an opinion piece. It calls for you to give detailed reasons for your choice. It raises questions about the literary value of a mystery novel that you should express your opinion on. Your essay will be evaluated on the strength of your arguments and the way you express them.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Most Interesting Characters in the Novel". Select the three characters who intrigued you the most and discuss why they are so interesting to you. It is permissible to name the cats if they are among your most interesting characters. However, give full answers for each of the characters you choose.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)