|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Duckworth explain Andrew Glanz's death?
2. Who deos Qwilleran find at the house on the end of the street?
3. What is Jim Qwilleran's occupation?
4. What does Qwilleran think about Mary's explanation for the hang up call?
5. How is Russell Patch's story different from Miss Duckworth's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qwilleran learn more about Mary Duckworth?
2. What happens to prevent Iris from reading Qwilleran's palm?
3. How does Yum Yum contribute to the mystery?
4. How does the author use conversation at the auction to introduce the main complications of the plot?
5. What does Qwilleran learn about a tape recorded while having dinner with Iris and C. C.?
6. Describe Qwilleran's feelings about Ben Nicolas.
7. Why does Iris not buy the police explanation of what happened?
8. What is the apartment like that Iris shows Qwilleran?
9. Discuss the drunk Qwilleran talks to in Junktown.
10. Discuss the relationship between Qwilleran and his cats.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "The Absence of Graphic Violence in Classic Murder Mystery Novels". Discuss in your essay how the actual murders are not "seen" within the classic murder mystery novel using examples from Braun's book. Define and discuss how the clues become more important in such novels than the actual crimes. Discuss how graphic violence has evolved into shock value scenes in modern TV shows and movies. Finally, give your opinion about the relative merits of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "Why I Thought [another character] Was the Murderer". Braun cleverly intersperses enough red herrings that almost any of the characters might have been the murderer. Pick out one other than Ben Nicolas and detail the mystery around that character that pointed to his or her possible guilt.
Essay Topic 3
In two or more type written double spaced pages, write an essay on "How I Would Write a Murder Mystery". This is strictly an opinion piece in which you define how you would set up the murder, complicate the plot, and resolve the situation.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)