|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan look and talk like?
2. What does Qwill say that it is nice to hear?
3. What time is Jim awakened?
4. What does Qwill tell Mrs. Marron?
5. How many customers does Max have when the restaurant should be nearly full?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason for the continual repeating of the story about the Penniman estate?
2. Why is it a good thing that the majority of Joy's newest pottery pieces are locked up? Why can't Joy show them to Qwilleran?
3. Why doesn't Max Sorrel wish to deny things in the papers?
4. What new job does the managing editor assign Qwilleran?
5. What has attracted so much attention from the two cats in their new home?
6. Why does Joy think that Dan might be jealous of her work?
7. How does Joy feel about the river, and why is that?
8. Why is Qwilleran so excited to see Joy?
9. Who else hears the scream, and why do they hear it?
10. What is unique about the people who reside in Maus Haus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the endurance of art and why it is important. What specific kinds of art have lasted throughout the ages, from the stone age forward? Explain your answer and cite references.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dan's pride. How does it get him into trouble? Is pride always a character flaw or can it be a positive character trait? Explain your answer. How might having less pride benefit Dan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss The Cat Who Saw Red as a detective novel. What conventions from the detective genre and film noir tradition does Braun incorporate into her work and in what ways does she subvert them?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)