|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
2. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
3. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
4. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
5. What does Frieda ask K. to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
2. What reason does the teacher give that the chairman wants to help K.?
3. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
4. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
5. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
6. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
7. What does K. ask Frieda about when he first meets her?
8. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
9. How does K. feel in the village?
10. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters desire favors from the upper class. Favors allow characters to get ahead in life, but both how they are acquired and whether they are deserved is ill-defined. Discuss the role of favors in the novel.
1) Is the lease of the Bridge Inn and the marriage between the landlady and landlord all a favor from Klamm to the landlady? In what ways is it ambiguous? What role does Klamm play in the landlady receiving these things?
2) What does K. expect to receive from Klamm? What does he believe you need to do to receive a favor?
3) What are characters in the novel willing to do for favors? Under what circumstances do the characters receive good things? Is it related to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)