|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Frieda and K. make love?
2. How does K. get back to the inn?
3. Where does K. go at the beginning of Chapter IX?
4. What does the landlady say about Barnabas' family?
5. What does the chairman say about the Castle's phone system?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chairman characterize the Castle's bureaucracy?
2. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
3. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
4. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
5. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
6. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
7. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
8. What reason does the teacher give that the chairman wants to help K.?
9. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
10. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 3
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)