|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What photo does the landlady show K.?
2. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
3. When K. returns to the inn after meeting with the chairman, what does the landlord ask him?
4. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
5. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
2. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
3. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
4. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
5. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
6. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
7. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
8. How does K. feel in the village?
9. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
10. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the town's acceptance of K. as a stranger.
1) How do the people in the town feel about strangers and outsiders? What is the culture's attitude toward outsiders?
2) In what ways does K. become accepted in the town? What role does his relationship with the Castle play in his acceptance? What role does his engagement to Frieda play in his acceptance?
3) In what ways does K. remain an outsider in the town? Is K. responsible for remaining an outsider, and to what extent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)