|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chairman suffering from?
2. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
3. When K. lights a match, who does he startle?
4. Why does K. step into a house on the way to the Castle?
5. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does K. praise Frieda for?
2. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
3. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
4. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
5. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
6. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
7. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
8. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
9. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
10. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Essay Topic 3
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)