|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does K. receive a letter?
2. What document does the chairman try to locate?
3. What is Frieda's job at the taproom?
4. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
5. What reason does Frieda give that she is sad she left the Gentlemen's Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
2. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
3. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
4. How does the chairman characterize the Castle's bureaucracy?
5. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
6. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
7. How does K. feel in the village?
8. What does Klamm look like?
9. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
10. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)