|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
2. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
3. Where does K. go at the beginning of Chapter IX?
4. When K. returns to the inn after meeting with the chairman, what does the landlord ask him?
5. Who does K. say summoned him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
2. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
3. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
4. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
5. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
6. How does K. feel in the village?
7. What does K. praise Frieda for?
8. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
9. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
10. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the town's acceptance of K. as a stranger.
1) How do the people in the town feel about strangers and outsiders? What is the culture's attitude toward outsiders?
2) In what ways does K. become accepted in the town? What role does his relationship with the Castle play in his acceptance? What role does his engagement to Frieda play in his acceptance?
3) In what ways does K. remain an outsider in the town? Is K. responsible for remaining an outsider, and to what extent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)