|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
2. Why does Frieda say her mother has decided to kick K. out of the house?
3. Who does Frieda's mother say an official will talk to?
4. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
5. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does K. praise Frieda for?
2. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
3. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
4. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
5. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
6. How does K. react to the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting?
7. What does K. ask Frieda about when he first meets her?
8. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
9. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
10. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss THE CASTLE as a religious allegory.
1) Considering The Castle as a religious allegory, what role does Klamm play? What does the nature of Klamm say about the author's viewpoint?
2) What role does the Castle bureaucracy play? Who do Klamm's representatives represent?
3) What moral dilemma does The Castle present about the nature of being good, based on K.'s arguments about intention?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)