|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
2. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
3. What does K. tell Frieda's mother he wants to see Klamm for?
4. Who does K. go to the Gentlemen's Inn to look for?
5. Who does K. believe is behind the landlady's marriage and the lease of the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
2. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
3. What does K. praise Frieda for?
4. How does K. feel when he goes to see the village chairman?
5. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
6. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
7. What does Klamm look like?
8. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
9. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
10. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the constructed reality of the culture is more important than a natural reality. The rules of the culture are artificial, created by people and enforced by people on themselves. Discuss constructed reality in the novel.
1) In what way is the life of the town artificial? How does this allow K. to break rules and do things other characters constrained by the constructed reality couldn't do?
2) What makes the constructed reality of the culture of the village powerful? Why is it important to the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)