|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it like inside Klamm's sleigh?
2. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
3. Do the people in the house know about K.?
4. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
5. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
2. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
3. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
4. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
5. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
6. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
7. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
8. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
9. How does the Castle react to inquiries about K. when he first arrives?
10. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)