|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chairman suffering from?
2. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
3. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
4. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
5. When does K. tell Frieda's mother that he plans to marry Frieda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
2. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
3. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
4. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
5. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
6. How does K. feel in the village?
7. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
8. What does K. ask Frieda about when he first meets her?
9. What does Klamm look like?
10. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)