|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
2. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
3. Who discovers Frieda and K. embracing in K.'s room?
4. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
5. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
2. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
3. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
4. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
5. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
6. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
7. What does Klamm look like?
8. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
9. How does K. feel in the village?
10. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)