|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlady say of the gentleman's actions?
2. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
3. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
4. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
5. What does K. think of the Castle when he goes to look at it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the teacher give that the chairman wants to help K.?
2. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
3. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
4. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
5. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
6. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
7. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
8. What does Klamm look like?
9. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
10. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 2
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)