|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does K. get to see Klamm?
2. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
3. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
4. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
5. What photo does the landlady show K.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
2. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
3. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
4. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
5. What did the townspeople do after Amalia's disobedience became known?
6. How does K. feel when he goes to see the village chairman?
7. What does Pepi say that K. will be able to do if he accepts her offer of a place to stay?
8. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
9. How do K. and the Gentlemen's Inn's landlady each defend themselves in their argument?
10. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the motivations of people are often open to question. Discuss the significance of the ambiguity of characters' motivations.
1) Are K.'s motivations clear? What are his possible motivations for being with Frieda? Do his motivations make a difference? What do you think of K.'s argument that his motivations don't necessarily matter?
2) What are conflicting reports of Frieda's motivations? How ambiguous are her motives? How important is it that other people can't necessarily ever fully understand her motivations?
3) How does the obscurity of the workings of the Castle compare to the obscurity of the motives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
This section contains 2,505 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)