|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chairman say is the reason K. was sent for?
2. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
3. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
4. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
5. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
2. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
3. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
4. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
5. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
6. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
7. What does K. ask Frieda about when he first meets her?
8. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
9. How does K. feel in the village?
10. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss THE CASTLE as a religious allegory.
1) Considering The Castle as a religious allegory, what role does Klamm play? What does the nature of Klamm say about the author's viewpoint?
2) What role does the Castle bureaucracy play? Who do Klamm's representatives represent?
3) What moral dilemma does The Castle present about the nature of being good, based on K.'s arguments about intention?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)