|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
2. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
3. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
4. What is Frieda's relationship with Klamm?
5. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
2. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
3. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
4. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
5. What does K. praise Frieda for?
6. How does K. feel in the village?
7. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
8. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
9. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
10. How does K. react to the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)