|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the teacher say the offer is a great favor?
2. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
3. Why does K. step into a house on the way to the Castle?
4. What does the letter praise?
5. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
2. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
3. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
4. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
5. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
6. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
7. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
8. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
9. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
10. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters desire favors from the upper class. Favors allow characters to get ahead in life, but both how they are acquired and whether they are deserved is ill-defined. Discuss the role of favors in the novel.
1) Is the lease of the Bridge Inn and the marriage between the landlady and landlord all a favor from Klamm to the landlady? In what ways is it ambiguous? What role does Klamm play in the landlady receiving these things?
2) What does K. expect to receive from Klamm? What does he believe you need to do to receive a favor?
3) What are characters in the novel willing to do for favors? Under what circumstances do the characters receive good things? Is it related to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)