|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
2. What does K. worry about regarding Frieda?
3. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
4. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
5. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
2. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
3. What does Klamm write about K.'s assistants, and how does this compare to the reality of K.'s assistants' roles?
4. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
5. What does K. ask Frieda about when he first meets her?
6. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
7. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
8. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
9. How does K. feel in the village?
10. How does K. feel when he goes to see the village chairman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)