|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document does the chairman try to locate?
2. When does K. say he wants to see Klamm?
3. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
4. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
5. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
2. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
3. How does the chairman characterize the Castle's bureaucracy?
4. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
5. What reason does the teacher give that the chairman wants to help K.?
6. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
7. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
8. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
9. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
10. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bureaucracy of the Castle seems to have no guiding force or leader, and is self-reinforcing, following only rules and regulations. Discuss the leaderless nature of the machine of bureaucracy.
1) Who assesses how well the bureaucracy of the Castle is functioning? What are the consequences?
2) How does the Castle itself function as a leader for the village? What are the consequences of the fact that the Castle is not a person, but an institution? What difference would it make if instead of a Castle, the village followed a King?
3) What controls the Castle? How is bureaucratic control different than control by a leader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the town's acceptance of K. as a stranger.
1) How do the people in the town feel about strangers and outsiders? What is the culture's attitude toward outsiders?
2) In what ways does K. become accepted in the town? What role does his relationship with the Castle play in his acceptance? What role does his engagement to Frieda play in his acceptance?
3) In what ways does K. remain an outsider in the town? Is K. responsible for remaining an outsider, and to what extent?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)