|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
2. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
3. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
4. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
5. Who discovers Frieda and K. embracing in K.'s room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K. feel when he goes to see the village chairman?
2. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
3. What did the townspeople do after Amalia's disobedience became known?
4. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
5. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
6. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
7. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
8. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
9. What reason does Erlanger give K. the request Erlanger is making during the meeting?
10. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
This section contains 2,350 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)