|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the attitude of the people in the house toward K.?
2. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
3. What does K. think of the Castle when he goes to look at it?
4. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
5. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
2. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
3. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
4. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
5. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
6. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
7. How does K. feel in the village?
8. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
9. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
10. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the constructed reality of the culture is more important than a natural reality. The rules of the culture are artificial, created by people and enforced by people on themselves. Discuss constructed reality in the novel.
1) In what way is the life of the town artificial? How does this allow K. to break rules and do things other characters constrained by the constructed reality couldn't do?
2) What makes the constructed reality of the culture of the village powerful? Why is it important to the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
Essay Topic 3
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)