Chapter I: Arrival and Chapter II: Barnabas
• K. arrives in the village, summoned by the Castle to be a land surveyor, which the Castle first denies then admits.
• On the road while exploring the Castle, K. first meets a teacher, and later meets the strange-looking family of the master tanner.
• K. meets his two assistants, twins, who tell him he cannot get permission to go to the Castle, and a messenger, Barnabas, gives K. a letter that says Barnabas will deliver all communication between K. and his superior, Klamm.
Chapter III: Frieda and Chapter IV: First Conversation with the Landlady
• K. goes with Barnabas' sister, Olga, to the Gentlemen's Inn's taproom and meets Frieda, Klamm's mistress, whom K. immediately sleeps with and takes for his own.
• The next morning Frieda's mother, the Bridge Inn's landlady, talks to K. about his intentions to Frieda, whom he plans...
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)