Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Beta's first book?
2. When a man refuses to become a shock-worker in a factory, what does he soon find?
3. While living in exile, how did Delta feel?
4. As Chapter 8 briefly explains, how does the State regard the propertied class?
5. After coming to power, in 1945, the Party recognized that the best way to control a nation is through what force?
Essay Topic 1
In different ways, the Polish people learned to contain and even condense their emotions, letting only the most elemental emotions show. What does this say about man's ability to survive difficult times? To what extent were the people reduced to the physiological level of hunted animals? Use examples from the book to show how emotions were stripped down to their most basic level.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Western and Eastern communism? How do the citizens of each sphere think about and react to each other? Find specific examples of their current interactions, and project the outcome of these to the future. Will they always look at the world through such disparate viewpoints?
Essay Topic 3
Milosz begins Chapter 4 by saying that the ethical and moral considerations that helped man make decisions in the past have become merely theoretical, inconsequential in the face of changes. What does this say about the changes brought on Eastern Europe from the mid-1930s onward? Given what you know of European history, how were these changes radically different from anything that had come before?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)