|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Milosz's understanding, the class of the bourgeois is comprised of what people?
2. During Gamma's youth, Poland gradually separated along what lines?
3. What happened when Beta's artistic talent moved to the furthest boundaries of communist dictates?
4. In Chapter 5, how is Beta characterized?
5. What did Gamma's second wife wear?
Essay Topic 1
Milosz asserts that the way to rule a nation's mind is through the word. Is this true or are there other factors equally important? Given what he says about both Nazi and communist controls over the printed word, how was this played out in Poland?
Essay Topic 2
Though many human interactions are characterized by some degree of acting, the citizens of Soviet countries are forced to take this to an extreme. What does this tell us about the relationship between communist ideals and the individual? What should the role of government be in an individual's life? To what degree is this a perversion of how it should be? Or is this justified in the name of communist ideals?
Essay Topic 3
Milosz called Beta's war stories terrifying because they were told simply and truthfully, almost brutally. How is it possible to tell such stories with so little emotion? To what degree is empathy a necessary quality of stories? Is it possible for the reader, removed by many decades and a culture, to experience a similar lack of sympathy?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)