Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Beta's first book?
2. When a man refuses to become a shock-worker in a factory, what does he soon find?
3. While living in exile, how did Delta feel?
4. As Chapter 8 briefly explains, how does the State regard the propertied class?
5. After coming to power, in 1945, the Party recognized that the best way to control a nation is through what force?
Essay Topic 1
In different ways, the Polish people learned to contain and even condense their emotions, letting only the most elemental emotions show. What does this say about man's ability to survive difficult times? To what extent were the people reduced to the physiological level of hunted animals? Use examples from the book to show how emotions were stripped down to their most basic level.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Western and Eastern communism? How do the citizens of each sphere think about and react to each other? Find specific examples of their current interactions, and project the outcome of these to the future. Will they always look at the world through such disparate viewpoints?
Essay Topic 3
The book is fraught with nationalist tendencies, including the pride Milosz feels for his native city Vilna. What does this tell the reader about Milosz's idea of place? How does he act on (or, conversely, react to) these national tendencies? In the end, is he loyal to Poland?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)