|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Delta's cheerful poetry treated?
2. How did Delta return to his wife in Poland?
3. What was the title of Delta's most unusual poem, which spoke in terms best understood in a dream?
4. At a fairly young age, how did Beta die?
5. When he spent time in Moscow, what kinds of reports did Delta send back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nearly six years of Nazi rule had radically changed people's ideas of private property. Did this help or harm the communist idea of common property?
2. How could Delta, who was not racist, write such violently anti-Semitic material?
3. Under communist rule, education is from a strictly materialistic view. Why is this necessary to maintain proper thought among the citizens?
4. How were Beta and the people of his generation fallen into dark hopelessness?
5. How are the peasants, in several ways, the most helpless class of people?
6. "Still, it was not easy to become a communist, for communism meant a complete revision of one's concepts of nationality " (pg. 147). How was this true?
7. How did Beta's circumstances lead him to a poetry that constantly moved? Why was it restless?
8. Milosz writes that Delta could not (or would not) distinguish between truth and fable, even in his personal life. Is this the kind of mind the Party would have wanted?
9. How was Delta's poetry some of the most insightful work being written at the time?
10. Gamma did not even try to save his family when they were deported to Siberia. How is this a vivid example of the communist attitude toward individual lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people in The Captive Mind believe that life without religion, philosophy, and art is not worth living. Is this true? Are there necessary things which this list does not include or, conversely, is the list too long? Be sure to define the terms clearly (e.g., is art a painting hung on the wall, or is it the beauty found throughout the world?)
Essay Topic 2
Given the examples only of these four men, what is your impression of communism? Is it possible to get a good idea of both communist ideals and its reality by reading about their lives? Use examples from their chapters to illustrate your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Why is art outside the public mind important? Milosz says that when man thinks only in the collective body, he can no longer think other than what is necessary. In other words, personal observations and thoughts are cut off. Why, then, does he place such importance on creating art other than what is strictly necessary?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)