|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gamma's writing weak?
2. When he spent time in Moscow, what kinds of reports did Delta send back?
3. What kind of mentality do peasants have, according to the state?
4. Rather than condemning the four men about whom he writes, how does Milosz open Chapter 8?
5. As Beta scornfully realized, how could someone have power in Poland?
Essay Topic 1
Through Party propaganda and education, communism suppresses man's ability to think for himself. How do the people presented in The Captive Mind either fight or accept this suppression? Consider only the main subjects of the book, including their writing for the underground or for the party.
Essay Topic 2
Given the examples only of these four men, what is your impression of communism? Is it possible to get a good idea of both communist ideals and its reality by reading about their lives? Use examples from their chapters to illustrate your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
The West, in not taking advantage of every artist, wastes a huge amount of talent. Is the East's method better or worse? Is there an ideal system in which exceptional artists are appreciated without conforming to a particular method?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)