|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Multi-Bing pills establish ________ foundations rather than _________ .
2. Harboring contempt for Russia is what type of Ketman?
3. In seeking a strong heroic element, what character/s did Alpha's second novel choose?
4. Alpha became a moral authority, as he had dreamed, because of his work in what place?
5. Milosz compares the Method to what animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. "If something exists in one place, it will exist everywhere" (pg. 29). Why does the man in destroyed Warsaw believe this, and how does it affect his spirit?
2. Why is the Ketman of revolutionary purity the most rare form of Ketman?
3. Why, according to party policy, can there be no contradictions in the minds of Soviet citizens?
4. What significance is there in the fact that Murti-Bing comes in pill form?
5. What is historic fatalism and how does it affect even a man's most personal interactions?
6. Why is it important that man not only be free from something but also for something?
7. What is communism's goal for the relationship between the present and the past?
8. What advantages does the Center gain with the idea of "cosmopolitanism"?
9. Why does man find such joy in the "collective warmth" of which Milosz speaks?
10. Why does the Eastern communist often call the West stupid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The moment when bullets pierce the flesh is a moment of amazement for the body. Life and death mingle for a second..." (pg. 184). How accurate is this statement (written and read by people who have never experienced death)? How does this add to the reader's horror of these deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Though many human interactions are characterized by some degree of acting, the citizens of Soviet countries are forced to take this to an extreme. What does this tell us about the relationship between communist ideals and the individual? What should the role of government be in an individual's life? To what degree is this a perversion of how it should be? Or is this justified in the name of communist ideals?
Essay Topic 3
Beta's stories portray man as an animal, barely held in check by the restraints of civilization. How is this demonstrated in Poland during World War II? Given the progression of Poland through capitalism, Nazism, and communism, was man's good or animal side stronger? Which one triumphed? Also, use examples from the book of people acting out of goodness.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)