|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Metaphysical Ketman treat man's mind?
2. How do the inhabitants of communist countries appear?
3. As far as man's preferences in Western art and literature, what aspect does Milosz refer to?
4. Chapter 2 notes that though it is good to be free from something, how does freedom become better?
5. When the Red Army came into Poland in 1945, how were writers treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ketman create pride in the man who practices it?
2. Several times, Milosz describes bombed Warsaw as the cratered moon. How is this significant?
3. What is historic fatalism and how does it affect even a man's most personal interactions?
4. What is communism's goal for the relationship between the present and the past?
5. Why does the Eastern communist often call the West stupid?
6. What significance is there in the fact that Murti-Bing comes in pill form?
7. Is Ketman necessary to the citizen of the New Faith? Why?
8. Why is the Ketman of revolutionary purity the most rare form of Ketman?
9. Why is cosmopolitanism linked to nationalist concerns? What does the center gain by connecting these?
10. Why does man find such joy in the "collective warmth" of which Milosz speaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The West, in not taking advantage of every artist, wastes a huge amount of talent. Is the East's method better or worse? Is there an ideal system in which exceptional artists are appreciated without conforming to a particular method?
Essay Topic 2
Though many human interactions are characterized by some degree of acting, the citizens of Soviet countries are forced to take this to an extreme. What does this tell us about the relationship between communist ideals and the individual? What should the role of government be in an individual's life? To what degree is this a perversion of how it should be? Or is this justified in the name of communist ideals?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Western and Eastern communism? How do the citizens of each sphere think about and react to each other? Find specific examples of their current interactions, and project the outcome of these to the future. Will they always look at the world through such disparate viewpoints?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)