|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time did Beta spend in the concentration camp Auschwitz?
(a) Two months.
(b) The rest of his life.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
2. The last time Milosz saw Beta, how did the unassuming poet look?
(a) He had become even more afraid, following his time in the concentration camp.
(b) He hadn't changed.
(c) He had become self-assured and thoroughly political.
(d) He had become an outspoken adversary of communism.
3. In the people's democracies, according the Chapter 8, what does the most serious battle concern?
(a) Manipulation of historical context.
(b) Control of man's mind.
(c) Control of man's spirit.
(d) The balance of power.
4. In the concentration camp, what is Beta's job?
(a) Removing bodies from the gas chambers.
(b) Unloading Jews from the box-cars.
(c) Rationing food to the prisoners.
(d) Directing Jews to the gas chambers or work.
5. Beta remained bitter because he was unable to see what?
(a) Society's reasons for action.
(b) Individual man apart from society.
(c) Man in relation to his fellow man.
(d) The purpose of action within a community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because the Communist Party was at first illegal in Poland, what did party members do?
2. In Milosz's understanding, the class of the bourgeois is comprised of what people?
3. In Chapter 5, how is Beta characterized?
4. Why are workers told that it is a crime to strike?
5. How did Delta return to his wife in Poland?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)