|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After two years, Delta returned again to favor, and how did his future look?
(a) He could be assured that it will last.
(b) He was given a ten-year contract.
(c) He could not be assured that it will last.
(d) He was returned only for the translation of a Shakespeare poem.
2. At a fairly young age, how did Beta die?
(a) At the hands of the Nazis.
(b) At the hands of the communists.
(c) By suicide.
(d) By an unknown assassin.
3. Why do Party dialecticians change the Method when necessary?
(a) They want to stay one step ahead of the reactionaries.
(b) They are forced to modernize.
(c) Reality proves the Method to be unworkable.
(d) History has destroyed all other formulae which claim to be unerring.
4. When do Beta's stories show that people are good?
(a) When life has meaning.
(c) Only while acting within civilization.
(d) Only when it directly benefits them.
5. As the Polish fought the Germans for control of Warsaw near the end of the war, how did a few people manage to survive?
(a) Hiding with the underground resistance.
(b) Hiding in the surrounding forests.
(c) Swimming across the river.
(d) Turning themselves in as prisoners of war.
6. The last time Milosz saw Beta, how did the unassuming poet look?
(a) He hadn't changed.
(b) He had become even more afraid, following his time in the concentration camp.
(c) He had become an outspoken adversary of communism.
(d) He had become self-assured and thoroughly political.
7. How did Delta return to his wife in Poland?
(a) With a girl he'd picked up at the Polish border.
(b) Without a single penny.
(c) With a girlfriend he'd brought from Brussels.
(d) Completely sober.
8. In Milosz's understanding, the class of the bourgeois is comprised of what people?
(a) Workers and peasants.
(b) Small merchants and craftsmen.
(d) National companies.
9. Chapter 6 opens with a picture of Vilna, which is a city of __________ .
10. Beta remained bitter because he was unable to see what?
(a) Man in relation to his fellow man.
(b) The purpose of action within a community.
(c) Individual man apart from society.
(d) Society's reasons for action.
11. While living in exile, how did Delta feel?
(a) Lonely and forgotten.
(b) A poor writer.
(c) Popular and well-liked.
(d) A drunkard.
12. In Chapter 8, how does the party treat whatever is not expressed?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) It is not dangerous.
(c) It is not important.
(d) It is most dangerous.
13. As Beta scornfully realized, how could someone have power in Poland?
(a) Follow the procedures established by the Polish government.
(b) Destroy all Polish underground resistance.
(c) Seize it by force.
(d) Overcome the Nazis.
14. Why was Gamma's writing weak?
(a) Proper doctrine.
(c) Previous success.
(d) Human emotion.
15. In cycles that lasted several days, what would Delta do?
(a) Drink alcohol.
(b) Take drugs.
(c) Walk the streets.
(d) Write his poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gamma's second wife wear?
2. In Chapter 5, how is Beta characterized?
3. Where did the man Gamma grow up?
4. How did Gamma express his anti-Semitic views?
5. When Delta's writing no longer pleased the party, what happened?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)