Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Beta's first book?
(a) The Shining Sun.
(b) The Stony World.
(c) The Stone and Sky.
(d) The Stony Ground.
2. When a man refuses to become a shock-worker in a factory, what does he soon find?
(a) He is denied the privileges of better work or vacation.
(b) He is demoted until he can learn respect.
(c) He is fired, and cannot provide for his family.
(d) He is imprisoned until his views change.
3. While living in exile, how did Delta feel?
(a) Popular and well-liked.
(b) A drunkard.
(c) Lonely and forgotten.
(d) A poor writer.
4. As Chapter 8 briefly explains, how does the State regard the propertied class?
(a) Least hopeful for reform.
(b) Most important.
(c) Least important.
(d) Least likely to rebel.
5. After coming to power, in 1945, the Party recognized that the best way to control a nation is through what force?
(a) Spies and informers.
(b) The written and spoken word.
(c) Parades and speeches.
(d) Brute force.
6. Why do Party dialecticians change the Method when necessary?
(a) They want to stay one step ahead of the reactionaries.
(b) Reality proves the Method to be unworkable.
(c) History has destroyed all other formulae which claim to be unerring.
(d) They are forced to modernize.
7. How much time did Beta spend in the concentration camp Auschwitz?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two months.
(d) The rest of his life.
8. In communist thought, where is there no division?
(a) Between man and woman.
(b) Between what man does and what he thinks.
(c) Between worker and peasant.
(d) Between man and society.
9. In Chapter 5, how is Beta characterized?
(a) Shy and aloof.
(b) Shy and arrogant.
(c) Outspoken and arrogant.
(d) Impossible to understand.
10. In Chapter 8, Milosz explains that the totalitarian states places such emotional strain on its citizens that what occurs?
(a) The people cannot be responsible for their actions.
(b) The strain itself determines their actions.
(c) They will cease to think for themselves.
(d) They cannot survive long as individuals.
11. Apart from his poetry, what was Delta's personality?
(a) Optimistic and cheerful.
(b) Sly and gloomy.
(c) Sly and fearful.
(d) Completely deceitful.
12. In cycles that lasted several days, what would Delta do?
(a) Walk the streets.
(b) Take drugs.
(c) Drink alcohol.
(d) Write his poems.
13. Delta would have fit well into what time period?
(a) Roman gladiators.
(b) Wandering jesters.
(c) Egyptian kings.
(d) Medieval monks.
14. As detailed in Chapter 6, what was the first maxim of the communist rule as it established power in a newly-conquered country?
(a) Set minimal demands.
(b) Make the people happy so they agree.
(c) Crush opposition at all cost.
(d) Impose educational reforms.
15. Rather than condemning the four men about whom he writes, how does Milosz open Chapter 8?
(a) Saying they were misguided by their education.
(b) Saying they were enslaved by their ways of thinking.
(c) Saying they were victims of historical circumstance
(d) Saying the situation was too senseless to see the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being captured as a Polish soldier, what happened to Delta?
2. The state methods of teaching give the illusion of what?
3. Beta described the concentration camp as he saw it; how should he have described it?
4. What happened when Beta's artistic talent moved to the furthest boundaries of communist dictates?
5. Because the Communist Party was at first illegal in Poland, what did party members do?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)