|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he got older, how did Gamma feel about his life?
(a) He had wasted his youth in service of the party.
(b) He had become too comfortable with his accomplishments.
(c) He had not devoted enough energy to the party.
(d) He had wasted his youth on reckless living.
2. At a fairly young age, how did Beta die?
(a) At the hands of the Nazis.
(b) By suicide.
(c) At the hands of the communists.
(d) By an unknown assassin.
3. How can the relationship between Gamma and the author be described?
(a) A game.
(b) A deep friendship.
(c) A love affair.
(d) An acquaintanceship.
4. After being captured as a Polish soldier, what happened to Delta?
(a) Was conscripted as a Russian soldier.
(b) Spent five years in a German labor camp.
(c) Spent five years as a Russian prisoner.
(d) Was released because he was too weak to work.
5. In light of Beta's poetry, how does Milosz treat the modern artist's potential?
(a) He can never know rest or inactivity.
(b) He follows the artistic traditions of former eras.
(c) He works best without established equilibrium.
(d) He is condemned to inactivity.
6. In communist thought, where is there no division?
(a) Between what man does and what he thinks.
(b) Between man and woman.
(c) Between man and society.
(d) Between worker and peasant.
7. Chapter 6 opens with a picture of Vilna, which is a city of __________ .
8. Beta wrote poems characterized by what?
(a) Crying out to God for deliverance.
(b) Leaning on the poet's weak faith in an effort to flee death.
(c) Lack of faith and the facing of death as reality.
(d) Taking bitter joy in the despair of the poet's surroundings.
9. What was the title of Delta's most unusual poem, which spoke in terms best understood in a dream?
(a) Folk Fair.
(b) The Persian King.
(c) Folk Songs.
(d) Solomon's Ball.
10. Catholic Communists gradually lose everything except what aspect?
(a) The language of religion.
(b) Their trust in the Virgin Mary.
(c) Their sense of guilt.
(d) A basic belief in God.
11. When a man refuses to become a shock-worker in a factory, what does he soon find?
(a) He is fired, and cannot provide for his family.
(b) He is denied the privileges of better work or vacation.
(c) He is imprisoned until his views change.
(d) He is demoted until he can learn respect.
12. As Beta scornfully realized, how could someone have power in Poland?
(a) Follow the procedures established by the Polish government.
(b) Seize it by force.
(c) Overcome the Nazis.
(d) Destroy all Polish underground resistance.
13. In a weekly magazine, Delta published short theater scenes under what title?
(a) Green Goose.
(c) Gray Goose.
(d) Solomon's Ball.
14. What was the result of this group created by Gamma and his friends?
(a) Exiled for trying to usurp power from the center in Moscow.
(b) The beginning of the communist government in Warsaw.
(c) Publicly praised for its faithfulness to communist ideals.
(d) Disbanded after two years because it lost popularity.
15. According to Chapter 8, how does communism define the reactionary?
(a) Is incapable of seeing how everything is interdependent.
(b) Refuses to agree wholeheartedly with the party.
(c) Acts contrary to party principles.
(d) Reverts to the traditional way of thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beta's writing assert that communism was salvation?
2. In Russia, what organization did Gamma and several of his friends create?
3. Why do Party dialecticians change the Method when necessary?
4. During Gamma's youth, Poland gradually separated along what lines?
5. In the people's democracies, according the Chapter 8, what does the most serious battle concern?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)