|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a weekly magazine, Delta published short theater scenes under what title?
(a) Gray Goose.
(b) Green Goose.
(d) Solomon's Ball.
2. How were Gamma's interactions with people characterized?
(a) With deceit and artifice.
(b) By his drive for power.
(c) With complete honesty.
(d) By his loyalty to the party.
3. Catholic Communists gradually lose everything except what aspect?
(a) The language of religion.
(b) Their sense of guilt.
(c) Their trust in the Virgin Mary.
(d) A basic belief in God.
4. As the Polish fought the Germans for control of Warsaw near the end of the war, how did a few people manage to survive?
(a) Hiding in the surrounding forests.
(b) Swimming across the river.
(c) Hiding with the underground resistance.
(d) Turning themselves in as prisoners of war.
5. After coming to power, in 1945, the Party recognized that the best way to control a nation is through what force?
(a) Parades and speeches.
(b) Spies and informers.
(c) The written and spoken word.
(d) Brute force.
6. Why was Gamma's writing weak?
(a) Previous success.
(c) Proper doctrine.
(d) Human emotion.
7. The state methods of teaching give the illusion of what?
(a) Complete power.
(b) A mysterious unknown.
(c) Historical right.
(d) Complete knowledge.
8. Why is Christianity the state's primary enemy?
(a) It encourages radicalism.
(b) It creates class divisions.
(c) It fosters skepticism.
(d) It fosters subservience.
9. In Chapter 8, Milosz explains that the totalitarian states places such emotional strain on its citizens that what occurs?
(a) The strain itself determines their actions.
(b) They cannot survive long as individuals.
(c) They will cease to think for themselves.
(d) The people cannot be responsible for their actions.
10. At a fairly young age, how did Beta die?
(a) At the hands of the communists.
(b) By suicide.
(c) By an unknown assassin.
(d) At the hands of the Nazis.
11. In Milosz's understanding, the class of the bourgeois is comprised of what people?
(a) National companies.
(b) Workers and peasants.
(c) Small merchants and craftsmen.
12. Delta would have fit well into what time period?
(a) Roman gladiators.
(b) Medieval monks.
(c) Egyptian kings.
(d) Wandering jesters.
13. While talking to Beker, who is about to be burned at the crematorium because he is too weak to work, what is Beta's attitude?
(a) Fearful of his own life.
(b) Agitated and sad.
(c) Calm and detached.
14. Where did the man Gamma grow up?
(a) The city.
(b) An eighteenth-century palace.
(c) The country.
(d) A party member's home.
15. In Chapter 8, how does the party treat whatever is not expressed?
(a) It is most dangerous.
(b) It is not dangerous.
(c) It is not important.
(d) It does not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mentality do peasants have, according to the state?
2. Why are peasants not particularly dangerous, according to Milosz?
3. While living in exile, how did Delta feel?
4. Because the Communist Party was at first illegal in Poland, what did party members do?
5. As he got older, how did Gamma feel about his life?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)