|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because the Communist Party was at first illegal in Poland, what did party members do?
(a) Bided their time until communism had gained a stronger footing.
(b) Tried to sway public opinion with writers who were sympathetic to communism.
(c) Were forced to work only through underground means.
(d) Had no choice but to rebel against the laws.
2. Because he believed in earthly salvation, what did Beta argue?
(a) History has no force in man's present struggles.
(b) Promises of heavenly salvation are false.
(c) Anyone opposing mankind's happiness is evil.
(d) Only man can bring about his own happiness.
3. Why did Delta begin to write violently anti-Semitic poems?
(a) He cared deeply about the political change going on around him.
(b) He had begun to think along those lines.
(c) The Communist Party commanded him to write them.
(d) He cared more about his audience than about the content.
4. Why do Party dialecticians change the Method when necessary?
(a) They are forced to modernize.
(b) Reality proves the Method to be unworkable.
(c) History has destroyed all other formulae which claim to be unerring.
(d) They want to stay one step ahead of the reactionaries.
5. How was Delta's cheerful poetry treated?
(a) Put to good use by the party.
(b) Ignored by the party.
(c) Scorned by the party as sentimental.
(d) Mocked by the public.
6. During Gamma's youth, Poland gradually separated along what lines?
(a) Pro-Semitic and anti-Semitic.
(b) The capitalists and communists.
(c) The nationalistic right and socialist left.
(d) The traditional right and Soviet left.
7. In Chapter 8, Milosz explains that the totalitarian states places such emotional strain on its citizens that what occurs?
(a) The people cannot be responsible for their actions.
(b) They will cease to think for themselves.
(c) They cannot survive long as individuals.
(d) The strain itself determines their actions.
8. How did Delta return to his wife in Poland?
(a) With a girl he'd picked up at the Polish border.
(b) Completely sober.
(c) Without a single penny.
(d) With a girlfriend he'd brought from Brussels.
9. After coming to power, in 1945, the Party recognized that the best way to control a nation is through what force?
(a) Parades and speeches.
(b) The written and spoken word.
(c) Brute force.
(d) Spies and informers.
10. As Milosz witnessed, why was becoming a communist a difficult decision?
(a) A person gave up all his personal property.
(b) A person became subject to the whims of the bourgeois.
(c) A person renounced his sense of personality.
(d) A person renounced his sense of nationalism.
11. Chapter 6 opens with a picture of Vilna, which is a city of __________ .
12. When someone asked about his family and origins, how would Delta answer?
(a) Answer questions about his town but not about his family.
(b) Go into great detail about his hometown.
(c) Tell a different story every time.
(d) Fall silent.
13. What was the result of this group created by Gamma and his friends?
(a) Exiled for trying to usurp power from the center in Moscow.
(b) Publicly praised for its faithfulness to communist ideals.
(c) Disbanded after two years because it lost popularity.
(d) The beginning of the communist government in Warsaw.
14. What was the title of Delta's most unusual poem, which spoke in terms best understood in a dream?
(a) Folk Songs.
(b) The Persian King.
(c) Solomon's Ball.
(d) Folk Fair.
15. After being captured as a Polish soldier, what happened to Delta?
(a) Spent five years in a German labor camp.
(b) Spent five years as a Russian prisoner.
(c) Was released because he was too weak to work.
(d) Was conscripted as a Russian soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a fairly young age, how did Beta die?
2. Why did Beta's writing assert that communism was salvation?
3. As Chapter 8 briefly explains, how does the State regard the propertied class?
4. Apart from his poetry, what was Delta's personality?
5. Beta wrote poems characterized by what?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)