|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Milosz illustrates Ketman with the example of what person?
(a) An average housewife.
(b) A Shiite theologian.
(c) A communist.
(d) A Muslim.
2. According to several examples from Eastern history, how is Ketman a way of living?
(a) Appearing obedient while exposing heresy in others.
(b) Flaunting heresy.
(c) Appearing obedient while harboring heresy.
(d) Remaining completely obedient.
3. The purpose of Chapter 2 is to compare and contrast what two groups?
(a) Communists and fascists.
(b) Eastern Europe with Eastern Asia.
(c) Communists and capitalists.
(d) Eastern and Western communists.
4. Which Ketman asserts that men do not know how to rule themselves or properly distribute goods?
(a) Ethical Ketman.
(b) Sceptical Ketman.
(c) The Ketman of revolutionary purity.
(d) Metaphysical Ketman.
5. American politics regarded Russia's invasion of Eastern countries with what emotion?
6. Multi-Bing pills establish ________ foundations rather than _________ .
(a) Philosophical, scientific.
(b) Materialistic, aesthetic.
(c) Scientific, religious.
(d) Aesthetic, religious.
7. According to Milosz, nations which have recently come under communist rule feel excitement at first, and then feel what emotion?
(a) That they've been lied to about the government.
(b) Trepidation for their unknown future.
(c) That they've been caught in a trap like mice.
(d) Sadness for the loss of their autonomy.
8. According to the center, contradictions ___________ in the minds of its citizens.
(a) Are stamped out immediately.
(b) Do not exist.
(c) Are taught according to policy.
(d) Are allowed to remain.
9. Alpha became a moral authority, as he had dreamed, because of his work in what place?
(a) In the underground, smuggling Jews to safety.
(b) In the underground, writing and publishing.
(c) In the underground, smuggling food.
(d) In the Communist Party, writing and publishing.
10. By standards of the East, as compared to the West, how is anyone with talent treated?
(a) He is allowed to go his own way.
(b) He is put to full use.
(c) He is rejected by the State.
(d) He is ignored.
11. As seen in Chapter 2, how does the poet of a communist country write?
(a) As himself.
(b) For the marching soldiers.
(c) As an ideal citizen.
(d) Exactly what the state tells him.
12. The Ketman of revolutionary purity holds that a tyrant's reign may be justified in what circumstances?
(a) If he brings the nation out of its troubles.
(b) In extreme historical circumstances.
(c) For a brief period of time.
(d) If he cannot be deposed.
13. When a man looks to the West, why does he not have clear insight?
(a) He cannot be realistic.
(b) The party center obscures the truth.
(c) His emotions interfere.
(d) Life in the East has drastically shaped his view.
14. How do the Multi-Bing pills change a man?
(a) They make him more productive in society.
(b) They create nervousness and tension.
(c) They erase all metaphysical concerns.
(d) They erase vestiges of harmful personality.
15. Alpha's response to the Nazis' violent anti-Semitism was what emotion?
(a) Quiet approval.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 2 opens with the picture of the Eastern communists looking to the West with what emotion/s?
2. Every man considers his mode of life as what?
3. What phrase occurs often throughout Chapter 2?
4. According to Witkiewicz, what role does religion play in modern society?
5. In the mid-twentieth century, many European nations realized that they could be directly influenced by what force?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)