|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alpha eventually become a communist?
(a) He was tricked into it.
(b) He thought it was best for his family.
(c) The party threatened his life.
(d) He had no other choice.
2. According to Witkiewicz, what role does religion play in modern society?
(a) Remains only as part of the fading tradition.
(b) Actively involved.
(c) Slowly dying but still forceful.
(d) None at all.
3. Art and literature of the party prove to the intellectual that what is true about the world?
(a) Things cannot be different than they are.
(b) Things can be different if he works hard enough.
(c) Only the party can change things.
(d) Only Western influence can change things.
4. When did Alpha became a more religious writer?
(a) When he turned his back on Christianity.
(b) When he scoffed all Catholic writers.
(c) When he became more fully involved in the church.
(d) When he supported the underground Catholic church.
5. Every man considers his mode of life as what?
(d) Destined to change.
6. Defining good and evil outside of party interests is what type of Ketman?
(a) Metaphysical Ketman.
(b) Sceptical Ketman.
(c) Ethical Ketman.
(d) Aesthetic Ketman.
7. How does Metaphysical Ketman treat man's mind?
(a) He thinks in terms of the present.
(b) He loses the need for metaphysical answers.
(c) He thinks religiously.
(d) He thinks rationally and materialistically.
8. Which Ketman asserts that men do not know how to rule themselves or properly distribute goods?
(a) Ethical Ketman.
(b) Sceptical Ketman.
(c) Metaphysical Ketman.
(d) The Ketman of revolutionary purity.
9. What phrase occurs often throughout Chapter 2?
(a) The venerable West.
(b) The cosmopolitan West.
(c) The decadent West.
(d) The horrific West.
10. In seeking a strong heroic element, what character/s did Alpha's second novel choose?
(a) A man of the New Faith.
(b) A town devoted to the New Faith.
(c) A Polish man with strong nationalistic feeling.
(d) Several people of the New Faith.
11. According to Chapter 4, as the Polish uprising fought the Nazis for control of Warsaw, what did the Red Army do?
(a) Waited in Moscow.
(b) Sent troops to help.
(c) Sided with the Nazis.
(d) Watched from across the river.
12. According to the center, contradictions ___________ in the minds of its citizens.
(a) Are taught according to policy.
(b) Are stamped out immediately.
(c) Do not exist.
(d) Are allowed to remain.
13. What is the basis of dialectical materialism, in Milosz's understanding?
(a) History favors communism but allows capitalism to remain.
(b) Fascism paves the road for communism.
(c) History will again favor the bourgeois.
(d) History has condemned capitalism.
14. According the Chapter 2, what does the Method emphasize about change?
(a) Moderate, deliberate change.
(c) Exercise of critical faculties.
(d) Fluidity of phenomena.
15. American politics regarded Russia's invasion of Eastern countries with what emotion?
Short Answer Questions
1. In a communist country, what is perhaps the best way to ensure one's safety?
2. When Alpha and Milosz stumbled on a board with the painted words "Lieutenant Zbyszek's road of suffering," what did they meditate on?
3. In what city did Alpha the Moralist live?
4. Milosz asserts that the man of the New Faith has the greatest fear of what action?
5. How does the Eastern communist regard everything from the West?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)