|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As explained in Chapter 2, the party considers _________ one of the highest virtues.
2. When the Red Army came into Poland in 1945, how were writers treated?
(a) Promoted according to their communist sympathies.
(b) Encouraged, in order to show communism's support of the cultural elite.
(c) Left alone as long as they didn't print anti-communist material.
(d) Killed, to show how communism treats individual thinking.
3. How do the Multi-Bing pills change a man?
(a) They erase vestiges of harmful personality.
(b) They erase all metaphysical concerns.
(c) They create nervousness and tension.
(d) They make him more productive in society.
4. How prevalent is National Ketman?
(a) Not of concern to the center.
(b) Limited to the people who have no power within the party.
(c) Widespread throughout communist society.
(d) Limited to the upper circles of the party.
5. The purpose of Chapter 2 is to compare and contrast what two groups?
(a) Communists and capitalists.
(b) Communists and fascists.
(c) Eastern Europe with Eastern Asia.
(d) Eastern and Western communists.
6. In Chapter 4, once the Nazis took over a country, how did they treat the printing presses?
(a) They destroyed the printing presses and offices.
(b) Printing continued as normal.
(c) They took over the presses to print large volumes of propaganda.
(d) Almost nothing was printed in that country's language.
7. What event did Alpha and Milosz narrowly miss one day as they were returning from the train station?
(a) The outbreak of a street fight.
(b) Being run over by a truck full of Jews bound for Auschwitz.
(c) Being captured in the first man-hunt for Auschwitz.
(d) Being searched by Nazi squads.
8. When a man looks to the West, why does he not have clear insight?
(a) The party center obscures the truth.
(b) He cannot be realistic.
(c) His emotions interfere.
(d) Life in the East has drastically shaped his view.
9. Dialectical materialism appeals to the Eastern man because it is, in Milosz's term, what?
10. Fifty years of re-education within the party can change entire nations so that they become what?
(a) Docile and obedient.
(b) Sly and vicious.
(d) Utterly subservient.
11. In a communist country, what is perhaps the best way to ensure one's safety?
(a) To become known as a spy.
(b) To keep one's opinions quiet.
(c) To join with like-minded people.
(d) To loudly proclaim Russia's pre-eminence.
12. Citizens of communist countries become adept in what skill, according to Milosz?
13. The Multi-Bing pills are most tempting to what type of person?
(a) A worker.
(b) An intellectual.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A peasant.
14. After the war, how was Alpha was received by Polish communists?
(b) On the condition he write what they wanted.
(c) With open arms.
(d) With hostility.
15. In the eyes of the besieged Pole, what is the only poetry that will last?
(a) Poetry that is most vivid to the reader.
(b) Poetry that has most affected the writer.
(c) Poetry that is most amusing.
(d) Poetry that is unquestionably real.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1932, Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz wrote a book entitled what?
2. Alpha's pursuit of purity in his work was driven largely by what characteristic?
3. Milosz compares the American law system to what image?
4. Cosmopolitanism, as defined by communism, is what thought?
5. According to Milosz, nations which have recently come under communist rule feel excitement at first, and then feel what emotion?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)