Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1, The Pill of Murti-Bing
1. What significance is there in the fact that Murti-Bing comes in pill form?
2. The pill takes away man's metaphysical concerns--why is this significant?
3. Why does man find such joy in the "collective warmth" of which Milosz speaks?
4. If an artist disagrees with the dialectical method, he debates the question with a panel of Party authorities and always, undoubtedly loses. Why is this so?
5. What is historic fatalism and how does it affect even a man's most personal interactions?
This section contains 1,226 words|
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)