|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alpha, the Moralist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Alpha and Milosz stumbled on a board with the painted words "Lieutenant Zbyszek's road of suffering," what did they meditate on?
(a) What remains at the end of a man's life.
(b) Their own possible deaths.
(c) The story of Lieutenant Zbyszek's family.
(d) History's plans for a man's life.
2. Milosz admits that he has great admiration for what people or force?
(a) The people who bring about change.
(b) The people who fight evil.
(c) The impersonal forces of history.
(d) The philosophers who prepare the way for change.
3. When did Alpha became a more religious writer?
(a) When he became more fully involved in the church.
(b) When he turned his back on Christianity.
(c) When he supported the underground Catholic church.
(d) When he scoffed all Catholic writers.
4. As far as man's preferences in Western art and literature, what aspect does Milosz refer to?
(a) The ability of the state to predict his choices.
(b) The inexplicable nature of his choices.
(c) The ability of the state to imitate the pieces he likes.
(d) The fickleness of his choices.
5. In 1932, Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz wrote a book entitled what?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Red Army came into Poland in 1945, how were writers treated?
2. By standards of the East, as compared to the West, how is anyone with talent treated?
3. In Chapter 4, who is Alpha, the Moralist?
4. The atmosphere in a collective society is one of what?
5. Why, as Chapter 2 explains, do Eastern communists look to the West?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)