|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alpha, the Moralist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Multi-Bing pills are most tempting to what type of person?
(a) An intellectual.
(b) A peasant.
(c) A worker.
(d) A merchant.
2. The atmosphere in a collective society is one of what?
(a) Strength and unhappiness.
(b) Solidarity and happiness.
(c) Harmony and action.
(d) Usefulness and action.
3. In Witkeiwicz's novel, if man is attuned to the absurd, what does he see?
(a) There is no hope of salvation, either earthly or heavenly.
(b) The state is meaningless.
(c) People's individual lives are meaningless.
(d) His own life is worthless.
4. According the Chapter 2, what does the Method emphasize about change?
(a) Exercise of critical faculties.
(c) Fluidity of phenomena.
(d) Moderate, deliberate change.
5. During World War II, how did the nearness of death affect the Poles' lives?
(a) It created a daily thankfulness for life.
(b) It made them ambivalent to the future.
(c) It instilled terror.
(d) It destroyed all sense of shame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alpha's response to the Nazis' violent anti-Semitism was what emotion?
2. In what city did Alpha the Moralist live?
3. According to Milosz, nations which have recently come under communist rule feel excitement at first, and then feel what emotion?
4. In Chapter 4, who is Alpha, the Moralist?
5. The purpose of Chapter 2 is to compare and contrast what two groups?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)