|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Looking to the West.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The atmosphere in a collective society is one of what?
(a) Strength and unhappiness.
(b) Usefulness and action.
(c) Solidarity and happiness.
(d) Harmony and action.
2. According to Milosz, nations which have recently come under communist rule feel excitement at first, and then feel what emotion?
(a) Sadness for the loss of their autonomy.
(b) Trepidation for their unknown future.
(c) That they've been caught in a trap like mice.
(d) That they've been lied to about the government.
3. According to Witkiewicz, what role does religion play in modern society?
(a) Actively involved.
(b) Remains only as part of the fading tradition.
(c) Slowly dying but still forceful.
(d) None at all.
4. Milosz compares the Method to what animal?
(a) A powerful bird whose wing is broken.
(b) A snake, for which the tail begins at any point.
(c) A fox, wily enough to deceive those who are skeptical.
(d) An ox, strong enough to bear the weight of reality.
5. Milosz says that both the old way of life and war-time values are natural if what happens?
(a) They are within a person's experience.
(b) The church sanctions them.
(c) They come without warning.
(d) The government prepares for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. As far as man's preferences in Western art and literature, what aspect does Milosz refer to?
2. Every man considers his mode of life as what?
3. Witkiewicz's book dealt solely with what aspect of society?
4. Milosz explains that people who enter into the state feel what emotion?
5. Cosmopolitanism, as defined by communism, is what thought?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)