|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark look for in her purse?
2. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
3. What dessert does Papa insist he wants for supper on the evening after Hilly's funeral?
4. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
5. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
2. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
3. Briefly describe the visit Lark makes to Hilly and his reaction to her gift.
4. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
5. What does Lark say about Hilly's fate after his death and how does she say she knows this?
6. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
7. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
8. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
9. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
10. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
Essay Topic 2
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lark come to believe she's responsible for the death of Marjorie Ann? How does she come to know she's not? How do the two pieces of knowledge affect her?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)