|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words does Lark say have an ominous ring of finality?
2. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
3. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
4. What does Lark look for in her purse?
5. What are Lark's responsibilities in return for her allowance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
2. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
3. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
4. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
5. What does Aunt Betty say about suicide and how does that compare to what Papa says?
6. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
7. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
8. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
9. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
10. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lark's three best friends can be identified as Sally, Beverly, and Hilly. Identify each and describe their relationships with Lark. How does each impact Lark?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins soon after the Great Depression and ends in the early years of World War II. Compare the two historical periods. What changes would Lark likely see in the year after the move to California?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)