|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
2. What color is the dress Mrs. Stillman is wearing when Lark arrives at her house?
3. What does Aunt Betty give the hobo in addition to the food and milk?
4. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
5. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Betty say about suicide and how does that compare to what Papa says?
2. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
3. What does Lark say about Hilly's fate after his death and how does she say she knows this?
4. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
5. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
6. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
7. What does Father Dalias say when Lark confesses that she's killed a baby?
8. Why do Mama and Aunt Betty leave the depot in the middle of the night? What is Lark instructed to do?
9. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
10. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)