|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
2. What color is the coat Mama wears as she heads out to play bridge?
3. What is the present Mama brings Lark from one of her trips?
4. Which is Lark's favorite jelly bean?
5. What does Mrs. Stillman invite Lark to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
2. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
3. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
4. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
5. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
6. Why do Mama and Aunt Betty leave the depot in the middle of the night? What is Lark instructed to do?
7. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
8. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
9. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
10. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Cape Ann house represent to both Mama and Lark? What does it represent to Papa? What does each come to realize about the Cape Ann? How does each come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)