|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
2. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
3. What is the gift Lark and Mama take Hilly and Mrs. Silliman?
4. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
5. How long does Papa say Aunt Betty can stay with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
2. What does Lark say about Hilly's fate after his death and how does she say she knows this?
3. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
4. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
5. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
6. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
7. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
8. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
9. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
10. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Aunt Betty and Mama. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do these similarities and differences affect the lives of the two women?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Catholic Church in this story? What does Lark believe about the Catholic Church? How and why does this attitude change? Can you predict what role the Church will play in Lark's later life? Support your predictions.
Essay Topic 3
Lark's three best friends can be identified as Sally, Beverly, and Hilly. Identify each and describe their relationships with Lark. How does each impact Lark?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)