|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two gifts are given to Lark on her last day at school?
2. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
3. Which is Lark's favorite jelly bean?
4. Where does Lark tell Mama she's going?
5. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
2. What does Lark say about Hilly's fate after his death and how does she say she knows this?
3. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
4. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
5. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
6. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
7. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
8. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
9. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
10. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma Browning refuses to show her face in town, fearing that she'll be laughed at. Why does she have this fear? Is it correct? Support your answer with examples from the story and from your own life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe where Lark and her family live. How does that compare with where Kathleen lives? With where Beverly lives? With where Sally lives? With where her Aunt Betty lives prior to the birth of her baby?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)