|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the top of Lark's Christmas list?
2. What is Papa eating as Lark prepares to go outside, carrying her sin notebook with her?
3. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
4. How did Hilly die?
5. What is the sound Lark describes as she's in the church awaiting her first Communion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
2. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
3. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
4. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
5. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
6. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
7. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
8. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
9. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
10. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lark considers herself shy but meets many people over the course of the story. List the circumstances under which she meets at least three of the characters. What is her reaction to each? How does each impact Lark's life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Catholic Church in this story? What does Lark believe about the Catholic Church? How and why does this attitude change? Can you predict what role the Church will play in Lark's later life? Support your predictions.
Essay Topic 3
What does the Cape Ann house represent to both Mama and Lark? What does it represent to Papa? What does each come to realize about the Cape Ann? How does each come to this conclusion?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)