|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress Mrs. Stillman is wearing when Lark arrives at her house?
2. Why does Lark ask Mama to read the story of Peggy and the Pansies?
3. What are Lark's responsibilities in return for her allowance?
4. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
5. Where does Lark hide when it's time to go to confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
2. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
3. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
4. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
5. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
6. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
7. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
8. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
9. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
10. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)