|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
2. What had Lark imagined living behind the jars in Grandma's cupboard?
3. What does Mama look for in her purse?
4. What does she say about that kind of jelly bean?
5. What kind of lessons is Lark taking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
2. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
3. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
4. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
5. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
6. What does Father Dalias say when Lark confesses that she's killed a baby?
7. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
8. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
9. What does Aunt Betty say about suicide and how does that compare to what Papa says?
10. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Cape Ann house represent to both Mama and Lark? What does it represent to Papa? What does each come to realize about the Cape Ann? How does each come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 3
Lark considers herself shy but meets many people over the course of the story. List the circumstances under which she meets at least three of the characters. What is her reaction to each? How does each impact Lark's life?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)