|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
2. What is at the top of Lark's Christmas list?
3. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
4. What does Lark say her little girl likes to read?
5. What is the gift Lark and Mama take Hilly and Mrs. Silliman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
2. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
3. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
4. Why do Mama and Aunt Betty leave the depot in the middle of the night? What is Lark instructed to do?
5. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
6. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
7. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
8. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
9. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
10. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)