|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa say the bombing of Pearl Harbor means
2. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
3. What does Mama say her marriage was like?
4. What color are the tickets eligible to win at the theater's drawing?
5. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
2. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
3. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
4. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
5. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
6. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
7. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
8. Briefly describe the visit Lark makes to Hilly and his reaction to her gift.
9. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
10. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The story begins soon after the Great Depression and ends in the early years of World War II. Compare the two historical periods. What changes would Lark likely see in the year after the move to California?
Essay Topic 3
Describe where Lark and her family live. How does that compare with where Kathleen lives? With where Beverly lives? With where Sally lives? With where her Aunt Betty lives prior to the birth of her baby?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)