|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
2. What is Papa eating as Lark prepares to go outside, carrying her sin notebook with her?
3. How did Hilly die?
4. What does Papa say the bombing of Pearl Harbor means
5. What does Lark say her name is as she approaches Mama and Aunt Betty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
2. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
3. Why do Mama and Aunt Betty leave the depot in the middle of the night? What is Lark instructed to do?
4. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
5. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
6. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
7. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
8. What does Father Dalias say when Lark confesses that she's killed a baby?
9. Briefly describe the visit Lark makes to Hilly and his reaction to her gift.
10. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Lark's imagination is fueled by many things. List at least three situations that prompt Lark's imagination and describe both the situation and the result.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lark come to believe she's responsible for the death of Marjorie Ann? How does she come to know she's not? How do the two pieces of knowledge affect her?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)