|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
2. What is Papa eating as Lark prepares to go outside, carrying her sin notebook with her?
3. What kind of coat is Papa wearing when he goes outside the morning after Mama comes to look for him?
4. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
5. Where does Lark sit during Mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
2. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
3. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
4. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
5. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
6. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
7. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
8. What does Father Dalias say when Lark confesses that she's killed a baby?
9. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
10. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)