|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark sometimes do while her mother is making business calls in St. Bridget?
2. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
3. What does Mama say she'll give Papa after he gives her the tickets to California?
4. What is Hilly wearing in Lark's dream?
5. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
2. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
3. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
4. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
5. What does Aunt Betty say about suicide and how does that compare to what Papa says?
6. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
7. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
8. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
9. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
10. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Aunt Betty and Mama. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do these similarities and differences affect the lives of the two women?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)