|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa tell Lark she has to do before Mass?
2. What color is the coat Mama wears as she heads out to play bridge?
3. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
4. What does Beverly say when Lark says she's moving to California?
5. What does Mama look for in her purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
2. What does Lark say about Hilly's fate after his death and how does she say she knows this?
3. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
4. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
5. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
6. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
7. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
8. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
9. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
10. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 3
Lark's imagination is fueled by many things. List at least three situations that prompt Lark's imagination and describe both the situation and the result.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)