|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the present Mama brings Lark from one of her trips?
2. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
3. What does Beverly reveal about Santa Claus?
4. How does Lark say she knows that the young prince went to Heaven after committing suicide?
5. What does Lark ask God to do before she goes to bed that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
2. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
3. What does Father Dalias say when Lark confesses that she's killed a baby?
4. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
5. What does Mrs. Stillman say about Hilly's death?
6. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
7. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
8. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
9. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
10. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Aunt Betty and Mama. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do these similarities and differences affect the lives of the two women?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins soon after the Great Depression and ends in the early years of World War II. Compare the two historical periods. What changes would Lark likely see in the year after the move to California?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)