|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
2. How many words per minute does Mama say she wants to be able to type?
3. What skill does Mama say she's going to learn in order to find a job?
4. Where is Aunt Betty when Lark and Mama arrive at her house?
5. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
2. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
3. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
4. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
5. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
6. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
7. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
8. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
9. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
10. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe where Lark and her family live. How does that compare with where Kathleen lives? With where Beverly lives? With where Sally lives? With where her Aunt Betty lives prior to the birth of her baby?
Essay Topic 3
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)