|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress Lark is wearing to Communion Class?
2. What is the man in the hobo jungle eating when Lark passes by?
3. What kind of ice cream does Papa buy for himself?
4. What is in the can Lark leaves for Sally?
5. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
2. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
3. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
4. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
5. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
6. How does Lark get her name?
7. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
8. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
9. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
10. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)