|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sally's attitude during the ride back to her house?
2. Why does Lark get a spanking from Papa?
3. What does Papa do to Lark's mashed potatoes?
4. Where does Lark sleep?
5. What kind of robe does Lark wear when she goes with her father to play poker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
2. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
3. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
4. Where does Mama tell Lark the baby has gone? Where does Lark believe it's gone? Why does Mama slap Lark?
5. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
6. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
7. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
8. How is the laundry done while Mama and Lark are visiting Aunt Betty?
9. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
10. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Lark's three best friends can be identified as Sally, Beverly, and Hilly. Identify each and describe their relationships with Lark. How does each impact Lark?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)