|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama doing when Lark wakes the morning after arriving at Aunt Betty's house?
2. What does Mama say she wants to occur by next year?
3. Where does Lark sleep?
4. What is the errand on which Mr. McPhee takes Lark?
5. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Betty say about suicide and how does that compare to what Papa says?
2. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
3. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
4. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
5. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
6. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
7. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
8. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
9. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
10. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
Essay Topic 1
What is the "Sin Notebook" kept by Lark? Why is she so interested in keeping track and identifying sins? Why is she worried that gambling is a sin?
Essay Topic 2
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)