|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Betty live?
2. What does Maria say about Lark's belief regarding Marjorie?
3. What is Lark's middle name?
4. Where does Lark believe Marjorie Ann went after her death?
5. Where does Hilly serve after he joins the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
2. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
3. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
4. Describe the Cape Ann.
5. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
6. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
7. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
8. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
9. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
10. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Catholic Church in this story? What does Lark believe about the Catholic Church? How and why does this attitude change? Can you predict what role the Church will play in Lark's later life? Support your predictions.
Essay Topic 3
The story begins soon after the Great Depression and ends in the early years of World War II. Compare the two historical periods. What changes would Lark likely see in the year after the move to California?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)