|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa say he plans to do after dinner?
2. What kind of pie does Lark say she wants from the booth?
3. What color is the nail polish Lark buys?
4. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
5. How long does Uncle Stan sit with Aunt Betty the first night he's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
2. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
3. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
4. What is the argument Mama and Papa have over whether to buy a car or a house? What are the arguments of each?
5. What does Lark believe will happen to the baby? Why does she believe this? What does she believe will be her role in the delivery?
6. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
7. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
8. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
9. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
10. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
Essay Topic 1
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the game, "Lady Caller?" When does Lark play this game? What is the role of Lark in this game? What is the role of her mother? How are each of these roles related to the real-life relationships and events for Lark and Mama?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)