|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the can Lark leaves for Sally?
2. Where does Lark sleep?
3. Where does Hilly serve after he joins the military?
4. Who lives in the upstairs portion of the depot?
5. What does Mama say about her great-great-grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
2. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
3. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
4. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
5. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
6. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
7. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
8. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
9. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
10. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Cape Ann house represent to both Mama and Lark? What does it represent to Papa? What does each come to realize about the Cape Ann? How does each come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Grandma Browning refuses to show her face in town, fearing that she'll be laughed at. Why does she have this fear? Is it correct? Support your answer with examples from the story and from your own life experiences.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)