|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papa going to find when it begins to rain?
2. What is the feature of the Cape Ann that Lark says Mama will turn into a sewing room?
3. What night do Grandma and Grandpa Browning arrive at Aunt Betty's?
4. What smell does Lark say is better than any other?
5. What time does Mr. Easterly say he will deliver the groceries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
2. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
3. Describe the Cape Ann.
4. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
5. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
6. When Grandpa Browning asks Mama if she's crying over the money Papa lost, she lies. What does she say and how is this the same as what Aunt Betty had done to protect Uncle Stan?
7. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
8. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
9. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
10. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lark considers herself shy but meets many people over the course of the story. List the circumstances under which she meets at least three of the characters. What is her reaction to each? How does each impact Lark's life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the "Sin Notebook" kept by Lark? Why is she so interested in keeping track and identifying sins? Why is she worried that gambling is a sin?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lark come to believe she's responsible for the death of Marjorie Ann? How does she come to know she's not? How do the two pieces of knowledge affect her?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)