|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the can Lark leaves for Sally?
2. What kind of trees are in the front yard at Grandma and Grandpa's house?
3. What does Papa say he plans to do after dinner?
4. What is hanging on the wall over Lark's crib?
5. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
2. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
3. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
4. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
5. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
6. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
7. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
8. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
9. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
10. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)