|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much education has Mama had?
2. How much does Lark learn Aunt Betty pays in monthly rent?
3. Where does Aunt Betty live?
4. What is the baby's name?
5. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
2. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
3. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
4. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
5. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
6. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
7. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
8. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
9. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
10. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)