|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Betty eat on Thursday morning?
2. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
3. What does Mama say she wants to occur by next year?
4. What color is the dress Lark is wearing to Communion Class?
5. What kind of pie does Lark say she wants from the booth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
2. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
3. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
4. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
5. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
6. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
7. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
8. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
9. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
10. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe where Lark and her family live. How does that compare with where Kathleen lives? With where Beverly lives? With where Sally lives? With where her Aunt Betty lives prior to the birth of her baby?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Aunt Betty and Mama. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do these similarities and differences affect the lives of the two women?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)