|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lark's favorite sandwich?
2. Where does Mama plan to go after dinner?
3. What list is Lark called on to recite to the nuns during class?
4. What has Mama done with her hair in preparation for her evening away from home?
5. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
2. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
3. How is the laundry done while Mama and Lark are visiting Aunt Betty?
4. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
5. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
6. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
7. Describe the Cape Ann.
8. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
9. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
10. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story begins soon after the Great Depression and ends in the early years of World War II. Compare the two historical periods. What changes would Lark likely see in the year after the move to California?
Essay Topic 2
Lark is afraid that Marjorie Ann is in limbo, Hilly went to hell, and she is bound for hell for her myriad of sins. Explain why Lark believes these things and what impact these beliefs have on Lark, her family, and the storyline.
Essay Topic 3
What is the "Sin Notebook" kept by Lark? Why is she so interested in keeping track and identifying sins? Why is she worried that gambling is a sin?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)