|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
2. What is the baby's name?
3. What is Papa's job at the depot?
4. What does Lark get from Mr. Boomer?
5. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
2. When Grandpa Browning asks Mama if she's crying over the money Papa lost, she lies. What does she say and how is this the same as what Aunt Betty had done to protect Uncle Stan?
3. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
4. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
5. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
6. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
7. How is the laundry done while Mama and Lark are visiting Aunt Betty?
8. How does Lark get her name?
9. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
10. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe where Lark and her family live. How does that compare with where Kathleen lives? With where Beverly lives? With where Sally lives? With where her Aunt Betty lives prior to the birth of her baby?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
What is the "Sin Notebook" kept by Lark? Why is she so interested in keeping track and identifying sins? Why is she worried that gambling is a sin?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)