|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hanging on the wall over Lark's crib?
2. What is Papa doing as the story opens?
3. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
4. What does Mama say she wants to occur by next year?
5. What is the baby's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
2. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
3. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
4. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
5. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
6. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
7. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
8. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
9. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
10. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the jobs held by at least five of the characters of the story. How are the jobs similar? Different? What does each say about the personalities of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)