|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria serve Lark with her break and butter?
2. What does Mama say about her great-great-grandmother?
3. What section of the paper is across Papa's chest when he falls asleep on Sunday afternoon?
4. Which of the following is not part of the dinner the family shares as the story opens?
5. What does Lark sing while she's washing Aunt Betty's dishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
2. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
3. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
4. Where does Mama tell Lark the baby has gone? Where does Lark believe it's gone? Why does Mama slap Lark?
5. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
6. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
7. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
8. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
9. Briefly describe the visit Lark makes to Hilly and his reaction to her gift.
10. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma Browning refuses to show her face in town, fearing that she'll be laughed at. Why does she have this fear? Is it correct? Support your answer with examples from the story and from your own life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
What are the two main themes of this story? Give examples of each and explain their roles in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)