|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat does Mr. Wendell give Lark when she arrives with Papa?
2. What does the German neighbor say when Lark returns her sheet?
3. What does Mama say about her great-great-grandmother?
4. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
5. What does Beverly's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
2. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
3. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
4. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
5. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
6. What does Lark believe will happen to the baby? Why does she believe this? What does she believe will be her role in the delivery?
7. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
8. When Grandpa Browning asks Mama if she's crying over the money Papa lost, she lies. What does she say and how is this the same as what Aunt Betty had done to protect Uncle Stan?
9. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
10. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare any two characters in the book. What are the similarities, differences, and roles of each in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the game, "Lady Caller?" When does Lark play this game? What is the role of Lark in this game? What is the role of her mother? How are each of these roles related to the real-life relationships and events for Lark and Mama?
Essay Topic 3
What is the "Sin Notebook" kept by Lark? Why is she so interested in keeping track and identifying sins? Why is she worried that gambling is a sin?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)