|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it decided that Stan will go to look for work?
2. What time does Mr. Easterly say he will deliver the groceries?
3. Where does Lark believe Marjorie Ann went after her death?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Grubb's dog?
5. Where does Hilly serve after he joins the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
2. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
3. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
4. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
5. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
6. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
7. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
8. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
9. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
10. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lark's three best friends can be identified as Sally, Beverly, and Hilly. Identify each and describe their relationships with Lark. How does each impact Lark?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)