|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
2. How many words per minute does Mama say she wants to be able to type?
3. How much education does Papa have?
4. What is Lark's middle name?
5. How much does Lark learn Aunt Betty pays in monthly rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
2. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
3. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
4. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
5. How is the laundry done while Mama and Lark are visiting Aunt Betty?
6. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
7. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
8. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
9. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
10. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major problems between Mama and Papa? Why do these problems remain issues rather than being resolved? Are there resolutions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the pretty lady on the train who never introduces herself to Lark? What does Lark imagine about the lady? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)