|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama say they'll get money for a house?
2. What smell does Lark say is better than any other?
3. What is hanging on the wall over Lark's crib?
4. What does Maria serve Lark with her break and butter?
5. What is Lark's middle name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lark believe will happen to the baby? Why does she believe this? What does she believe will be her role in the delivery?
2. Describe the Cape Ann.
3. Where does Mama tell Lark the baby has gone? Where does Lark believe it's gone? Why does Mama slap Lark?
4. How do Lark and Uncle Stan greet each other? What does Lark think about Uncle Stan?
5. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
6. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
7. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
8. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
9. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
10. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lark's relationship with her father. How does it compare with her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Lark's three best friends can be identified as Sally, Beverly, and Hilly. Identify each and describe their relationships with Lark. How does each impact Lark?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of trains in Lark's life? How does that compare to the role of people? Why are trains so important to her?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)