|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afraid he's gambling.
(b) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
(c) She's afriad he's drinking.
(d) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
2. What had Lark imagined living behind the jars in Grandma's cupboard?
(a) A dragon.
(b) A fairy.
(c) A rat.
(d) A gnome.
3. What does Grandpa give Lark as she is about to board the train?
(a) Ice cream.
(c) A letter.
(d) A deck of cards to play with on the train.
4. What two gifts are given to Lark on her last day at school?
(a) An autograph book and a diary.
(b) Hair ribbons and a brush set.
(c) A jump rope and a set of jacks..
(d) A pair of house slippers and a box of chocolates.
5. What does Mama say her marriage was like?
(a) Like having a hippopotamus sitting on her face.
(b) Like having a elephant sitting on her chest.
(c) Like having a giraffe in her car.
(d) Like having a wild cat in her pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama leave for Papa and Lark when she goes to play bridge?
2. Who gives Lark her coat as they prepare to leave for Mass?
3. What two words does Lark say have an ominous ring of finality?
4. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
5. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa say to Lark when he comes into the bedroom to get a handkerchief and how does Lark respond?
2. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
3. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
4. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
5. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
6. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
7. Describe the opening conversation between Lark and Mama when Lark reaches her seat.
8. Where does Lark think Mama and Aunt Betty are going, and what is later discovered about their real intentions?
9. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
10. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)