|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lark sometimes do while her mother is making business calls in St. Bridget?
(a) Reads in the car.
(b) Visits her grandparents.
(c) Swims at the pool.
(d) Watches movies.
2. What does Lark get for her seventh birthday?
(a) Nail polish.
(b) Roller skates.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A swimming pool.
3. What does Mama say she'll give Papa after he gives her the tickets to California?
(a) Her car.
(b) An apology.
(d) The five hundred dollars to pay off his gambling debts.
4. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
(a) She leaves it on the doorstep.
(b) She mails it.
(c) She sends it with her mother.
(d) She drops it off herself.
5. What does Mama say might happen to ruin her business?
(a) The government will require that women work in factories.
(b) The government will require more taxes.
(c) The government will limit the amount of gas people can buy.
(d) The government will limit how many cars a family can own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Betty give the hobo in addition to the food and milk?
2. What does Mama leave for Papa and Lark when she goes to play bridge?
3. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
4. Where does Lark sit during Mass?
5. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
2. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
3. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
4. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
5. What is Papa's last-ditch effort to try to get Mama to remain? What are the reactions of Mama and Lark?
6. How have the relationships between Beverly, Sally and Lark changed over the summer break?
7. What are some of the ideas Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark share about the new house while they're putting up the Christmas tree?
8. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
9. What does Lark do when it's time for Communion and what does that prompt Papa to do?
10. What does Lark hear Mrs. Wheeler reveal to Mrs. Stillman?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)