|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Papa say he lost?
(a) Twenty-five dollars he borrowed from Stan.
(b) Four hundred fifty dollars.
(c) Eight dollars he'd found in Mama's purse.
(d) Nothing becuase he didn't have any money.
2. How does Mama say they'll get money for a house?
(a) She says it's just a dream that won't ever come true.
(b) She says she doesn't know but will think of something.
(c) She says Papa will win it at poker.
(d) She says she'll sell shoes to earn money.
3. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
(a) It doesn't get warm.
(b) It barely gets warm.
(c) It's toasted just right.
(d) It burns.
4. What night do Grandma and Grandpa Browning arrive at Aunt Betty's?
5. Where does Mama say Uncle Stan is going when he leaves the house?
(a) The train station.
(b) The tavern.
(c) The back yard.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the can Lark leaves for Sally?
2. Where does Papa take Lark to spank her?
3. What does Aunt Betty eat on Thursday morning?
4. What treat does Lark find in the cupboard after Mama leaves?
5. How much does Lark discover her father lost at the poker game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
2. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
3. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
4. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
5. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
6. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
7. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
8. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
9. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
10. How do Lark and Uncle Stan greet each other? What does Lark think about Uncle Stan?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)