|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
(a) A short-sleeved shirt and coveralls.
(b) Faded blue jeans.
(c) Striped overalls.
(d) The book doesn't say.
2. What is hanging on the wall over Lark's crib?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) A picture of Lark as a baby.
(c) A wedding picture of Lark's parents.
(d) A banjo clock.
3. What does Papa say about the group of ladies Mama spends time with?
(a) He says they are all very pretty.
(b) He says they shouldn't get together.
(c) He calls them cackling hens.
(d) He calls them old geese.
4. What does Uncle Stanly say after Lark kisses him on the cheek?
(a) He won't wash his cheek until they meet again.
(b) He hopes she can be a good girl.
(c) He'll keep her picture close until they meet again.
(d) He forgives her for her role in Marjorie's death.
5. What does Lark get from Mr. Boomer?
(a) A soda.
(b) A piece of pie.
(c) A chocolate ice cream.
(d) A jawbreaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sound that wakes Lark from sleep that night?
2. Where does Papa take Lark to spank her?
3. What does Lark call the German woman who lives next door to Aunt Betty?
4. What does Mama do when Lark and Sally go to her with leeches?
5. Where does Mama plan to go after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lark get her name?
2. How does Christmas change for the family after the plans emerge to go to California?
3. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
4. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
5. When Grandpa Browning asks Mama if she's crying over the money Papa lost, she lies. What does she say and how is this the same as what Aunt Betty had done to protect Uncle Stan?
6. Describe the letter Hilly writes to Lark in which he talks about the book HEIDI.
7. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
8. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
9. What does Lark think and do in the restroom of the train?
10. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)