|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
(a) So her high heels won't disturb Aunt Betty.
(b) Because her feet are cold.
(c) She wants to be comfortable.
(d) She thinks they look pretty.
2. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
(a) Sleeping in bed.
(b) Waiting on the depot steps.
(c) Waiting at the kitchen table.
(d) Sleeping in a chair.
3. What is the nickname Mama hates?
(d) Norma Jeana.
4. What does Beverly's father do for a living?
(a) He's a janitor at the school..
(b) He's a traveling salesman.
(c) He's gone.
(d) He's a clerk at the depot.
5. Where is it decided that Stan will go to look for work?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat does Mr. Wendell give Lark when she arrives with Papa?
2. What has Mama done with her hair in preparation for her evening away from home?
3. What had Mama thrown at Papa once when he called her a hated nickname?
4. How much does Lark discover her father lost at the poker game?
5. Why does Mama say Grandma Browning can't stay with Aunt Betty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lark and Uncle Stan greet each other? What does Lark think about Uncle Stan?
2. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
3. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
4. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
5. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
6. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
7. How is the laundry done while Mama and Lark are visiting Aunt Betty?
8. Describe the Cape Ann.
9. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
10. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)