|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mama doing when Lark wakes the morning after arriving at Aunt Betty's house?
(a) Singing to Aunt Betty.
(b) Washing dishes.
(c) Scrubbing the floors.
(d) Washing clothes.
2. What does Mama say about her great-great-grandmother?
(a) She was a queen.
(b) She was a tramp.
(c) She was rich.
(d) She was a lady-in-waiting.
3. What is Papa doing as the story opens?
(a) Reading the paper.
(b) Playing poker.
(c) Working .
(d) Drawing house plans.
4. Why does Lark get a spanking from Papa?
(a) For disobeying Mama.
(b) For making a "D" in Communion Class.
(c) For kicking Mrs. Grubb's dog.
(d) For biting her nails.
5. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
(a) She wants to be comfortable.
(b) She thinks they look pretty.
(c) So her high heels won't disturb Aunt Betty.
(d) Because her feet are cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of soup does Mr. Wendell give Lark?
2. What color is the dress Lark is wearing to Communion Class?
3. What does Mama do when Lark and Sally go to her with leeches?
4. What is Sally's attitude during the ride back to her house?
5. What skill does Mama say she's going to learn in order to find a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
2. What touches are added to the depot room in an effort to make it more like home?
3. Describe the condition of Aunt Betty's house when Lark and Mama arrive.
4. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
5. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
6. What is Lark's attitude about becoming an adult and why?
7. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
8. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
9. What is the basic information included in the letter Lark finds from Earl Samson to Bill?
10. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)