|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
(a) Waiting at the kitchen table.
(b) Waiting on the depot steps.
(c) Sleeping in a chair.
(d) Sleeping in bed.
2. What job does the lady on the train say she has?
(a) She works at a radio station.
(b) She's a nurse.
(c) She works in a depot.
(d) She's a secretary.
3. Where does Hilly sit most days?
(a) On a bench at the depot.
(b) Near the front window of the ice cream shop.
(c) On the front steps of his house.
(d) On a bench in front of the post office.
4. What is the name of Mrs. Grubb's dog?
5. How much money does Papa say he lost?
(a) Nothing becuase he didn't have any money.
(b) Eight dollars he'd found in Mama's purse.
(c) Four hundred fifty dollars.
(d) Twenty-five dollars he borrowed from Stan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lark get a spanking from Papa?
2. How much money does Uncle Stan say he lost gambling the night before?
3. What is the sound that wakes Lark from sleep that night?
4. What does Lark sing while she's washing Aunt Betty's dishes?
5. What does the German neighbor say when Lark returns her sheet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
2. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
3. What is Beverly's relationship with Mama? Give an example of this relationship.
4. How does Mama spend the money she wins at the theater?
5. Why does Papa say that Lark has to fear God? What example does he give her in an attempt to prove it?
6. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
7. Describe the situation that arises when the hobo stops at Lark's house.
8. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
9. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
10. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)