|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not part of the dinner the family shares as the story opens?
2. Why does Mama say Grandma Browning can't stay with Aunt Betty?
(a) She has a broken ankle.
(b) She is already staying with another sick relative.
(c) She is too old to make the trip.
(d) She doesn't have money for the trip.
3. What color is the dress Lark is wearing to Communion Class?
(a) Blue with red flowers.
(b) Red with blue stripes.
(c) White with red stripes.
(d) Red with white polka dots.
4. Where does Lark sleep?
(a) A crib.
(b) A pallet on the floor.
(c) A day bed.
(d) On a bench.
5. What does Lark get from Mr. Boomer?
(a) A jawbreaker.
(b) A soda.
(c) A chocolate ice cream.
(d) A piece of pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
2. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
3. What is Sally's attitude during the ride back to her house?
4. Where does Mama plan to go after dinner?
5. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lark get her name?
2. Why does Lark refuse to go to Mass and what is Papa's reaction?
3. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
4. What does Mama say about the war's effect on her business?
5. Whom does Lark tell about the plans to begin building on a house and what does she say about it?
6. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
7. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
8. What is the effect of Aunt Betty's affair on Grandma, and what does Mama say about Grandma's reaction?
9. What is Lark's reaction after her confession and what does she wonder about the adults who have gone through this?
10. What is the significance of Lark's statements about Myrna Loy and Mr. Brown?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)