|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Stanly say after Lark kisses him on the cheek?
(a) He hopes she can be a good girl.
(b) He won't wash his cheek until they meet again.
(c) He'll keep her picture close until they meet again.
(d) He forgives her for her role in Marjorie's death.
2. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
(a) A hanky and her ticket.
(b) Her sin notebook and her bedtime book.
(c) A doll and a clean sweater.
(d) A sandwich and a soda.
3. How much money does Uncle Stan say he lost gambling the night before?
(a) Nothing because he didn't have any money.
(b) Eight dollars he'd found in Aunt Betty's purse.
(c) Twenty-five dollars borrowed from Willie.
(d) Eighteen dollars he had left from his pay check.
4. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
(a) Waiting at the kitchen table.
(b) Sleeping in a chair.
(c) Sleeping in bed.
(d) Waiting on the depot steps.
5. What does Maria say about Lark's belief regarding Marjorie?
(a) Lark shouldn't think about it.
(b) She baptized the baby.
(c) Not everything Lark has learned in church is true.
(d) Lark is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much education does Papa have?
2. What does Lark take from her suitcase soon after leaving the station?
3. What is Papa's job at the depot?
4. What is hanging on the wall over Lark's crib?
5. What is Grandma ironing while Mama reads a Life magazine at the kitchen table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lark and Uncle Stan greet each other? What does Lark think about Uncle Stan?
2. Where does Mama tell Lark the baby has gone? Where does Lark believe it's gone? Why does Mama slap Lark?
3. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
4. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
5. What does Lark believe will happen to the baby? Why does she believe this? What does she believe will be her role in the delivery?
6. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
7. What is Mama's plan for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does she start that plan rolling?
8. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
9. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
10. Describe what happens when Lark tells Mr. McPhee that Marjorie is in limbo.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)