|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the errand on which Mr. McPhee takes Lark?
(a) Delivering mail from the mail truck.
(b) Delivering freight brought to town by the train.
(c) Delivering pastries cooked by a local woman.
(d) Delivering groceries from the store.
2. What game do Lark and her mother play while her mother is cooking supper?
(a) I Spy.
(b) Twenty Questions.
(d) Lady Caller.
3. What does Lark think is the best part of the annual parade?
(a) The veterans.
(b) The majorettes.
(c) The cars with sirens.
(d) The boys on bicycles.
4. What is Papa doing as the story opens?
(a) Reading the paper.
(b) Playing poker.
(c) Drawing house plans.
(d) Working .
5. What treat does Mr. Wendell give Lark when she arrives with Papa?
(a) A jawbreaker.
(b) A Hershey bar.
(c) A soda.
(d) A slice of pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much education has Mama had?
2. What does Aunt Betty eat on Thursday morning?
3. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
4. What is the event for which Lark sells tickets?
5. How much does Lark learn Aunt Betty pays in monthly rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a committee want Mrs. Stillman dismissed from her teaching job?
2. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
3. What does Papa think about the possibility of Mama going to work, and why?
4. What is Papa's first excuse for where he'd been all night? What does he eventually admit about it?
5. What is Lark's reaction when Mama says she has to sell tickets to the picnic, and what is Mama's response?
6. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
7. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
8. What are some of the job opportunities Mama sees but dismisses?
9. What does Lark think of Beverly prior to the picnic and why does her attitude change during the event?
10. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)