|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mama doing when Lark wakes the morning after arriving at Aunt Betty's house?
(a) Washing clothes.
(b) Singing to Aunt Betty.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Scrubbing the floors.
2. How much education has Mama had?
(a) She graduated college.
(b) She graduated high school.
(c) She never attended school.
(d) She finished tenth grade.
3. How long does Uncle Stan sit with Aunt Betty the first night he's home?
(a) Three hours.
(b) He doesn't sit with her at all.
(c) All night.
(d) Thirty minutes.
4. What does Papa say he plans to do after dinner?
(a) Play bridge.
(b) Play poker.
(d) Go to bed.
5. What is Papa going to find when it begins to rain?
(a) A fishing pole.
(b) Hoboes on the train.
(c) An umbrella.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama say about her great-great-grandmother?
2. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
3. Why does Lark get a spanking from Papa?
4. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
5. What job does the lady on the train say she has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
2. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
3. What is the argument Mama and Papa have about their evening's activities and what does each want the other to do?
4. What is the significance of what Lark tells Mama while Lark is pretending to be Mrs. Brown?
5. What is the problem with Lark's hair on the day after the poker game? What does she fear will be the outcome of that problem?
6. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
7. How does Lark get her name?
8. Briefly describe what Lark observes and fells during the funeral.
9. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
10. What does Lark believe will happen to the baby? Why does she believe this? What does she believe will be her role in the delivery?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)