|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beverly's father do for a living?
(a) He's a janitor at the school..
(b) He's a clerk at the depot.
(c) He's gone.
(d) He's a traveling salesman.
2. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
(a) A hanky and her ticket.
(b) A doll and a clean sweater.
(c) Her sin notebook and her bedtime book.
(d) A sandwich and a soda.
3. How much money does Uncle Stan say he lost gambling the night before?
(a) Twenty-five dollars borrowed from Willie.
(b) Eight dollars he'd found in Aunt Betty's purse.
(c) Nothing because he didn't have any money.
(d) Eighteen dollars he had left from his pay check.
4. What is Mama doing when Lark wakes the morning after arriving at Aunt Betty's house?
(a) Washing clothes.
(b) Scrubbing the floors.
(c) Singing to Aunt Betty.
(d) Washing dishes.
5. What is Sally's attitude during the ride back to her house?
(a) She's hateful, telling her mother to stop crying.
(b) She's cheerful, trying to make her mother stop crying.
(c) She's crying, pleading with her mother to stop crying.
(d) She's sullen and sits in the floorboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much education has Mama had?
2. What is Lark's favorite sandwich?
3. What is Grandma ironing while Mama reads a Life magazine at the kitchen table?
4. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
5. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Stella Wheeler cry during the picnic?
2. What decision does Lark face when she realizes she can't possibly reach the raft?
3. Why does Lark say she likes spending time in taverns?
4. When Grandpa Browning asks Mama if she's crying over the money Papa lost, she lies. What does she say and how is this the same as what Aunt Betty had done to protect Uncle Stan?
5. What is the reaction of the town when Hilly volunteers for the military? How does that change upon his return?
6. What are some of Papa's duties with the railroad?
7. What are Lark's thoughts about the financial situation for Aunt Betty and Uncle Stan and how does Uncle Stan's job contribute to that?
8. What is the response of the nun when Lark asks if playing poker is a sin, and why does she respond in that manner?
9. How does Lark's family come to be living in the depot?
10. How does Mama manage the practical aspects of life in the depot, such as heating their rooms and washing dishes?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)