|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
(a) She leaves it on the doorstep.
(b) She drops it off herself.
(c) She mails it.
(d) She sends it with her mother.
2. What are Lark's responsibilities in return for her allowance?
(a) Typing .
(b) Helping her father take tickets in the afternoons.
(c) Performing whatever chores her mother outlines on a daily note.
3. What is Lark's reaction when Papa slaps her?
(a) She bites him.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She gets ready to go.
(d) She slaps him back.
4. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
(a) Whenever Papa has a break from work.
(b) On Saturday mornings.
(c) While Mama is playing bridge.
5. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
(a) The black.
(b) The green.
(c) The yellow.
(d) The red.
6. What does Lark look for in her purse?
(a) A barrette.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A comb.
7. What job does Aunt Betty get?
(a) Clerking at a Ben Franklin Five and Dime.
(b) Putting airplane parts together at a factory.
(c) Working as a secretary at a Skully's.
(d) Checking out groceries at a Piggly Wiggly.
8. What is at the top of Lark's Christmas list?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A pony.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A new robe.
9. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A knife.
(c) A skillet.
(d) A gun.
10. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(b) Planning their new house.
(c) Baking for the funeral.
(d) Sewing curtains.
11. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
(a) Eighty dollars.
(b) Two hundred, fifty dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) A thousand dollars.
12. What does Grandpa give Lark as she is about to board the train?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A letter.
(d) A deck of cards to play with on the train.
13. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afraid he's gambling.
(b) She's afriad he's drinking.
(c) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(d) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
14. What does Beverly say when Lark says she's moving to California?
(a) She'd be happy to go in Lark's place.
(b) Lark won't be happy there.
(c) She feels sorry for Lark.
(d) Lark shoudl refuse to go.
15. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
(a) Mrs. Nelson.
(b) Mrs. Wheeler.
(c) Lark's mother.
(d) Beverly's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama look for in her purse?
2. What do Lark and her Mama do the night before Lark's first Communion?
3. What does Lark say her little girl likes to read?
4. What dessert does Papa insist he wants for supper on the evening after Hilly's funeral?
5. What is Hilly wearing in Lark's dream?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)