|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama make for Sally, Beverly, and Lark as they study catechism at Lark's house?
(a) Coffee with milk and chocolate cookies.
(b) Tea and ginger snaps.
(c) Hot milk and chocolate pie.
(d) Cocoa and cinnamon toast.
2. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afriad he's drinking.
(b) She's afraid he's gambling.
(c) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(d) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
3. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(b) A quarter.
(c) A hanky.
(d) A comb.
4. What color is the coat Mama wears as she heads out to play bridge?
(a) Apricot colored.
(b) Raspberry colored.
(c) Blueberry colored.
(d) Wine colored.
5. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
(a) Mrs. Wheeler.
(b) Mrs. Nelson.
(c) Lark's mother.
(d) Beverly's mother.
6. What is Lark's reaction when Papa slaps her?
(a) She gets ready to go.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She bites him.
(d) She slaps him back.
7. What does Lark look for in her purse?
(a) A barrette.
(b) A comb.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A quarter.
8. According to Mrs. Stillman's guest, who hurt Hilly?
(a) Willy Erhardt.
(b) Axel Nelson.
(c) Mr. Wheeler.
(d) Uncle Stan.
9. What is the sound Lark describes as she's in the church awaiting her first Communion?
(a) The sound of church bells.
(b) The sound of rustling dresses.
(c) The sound of silence.
(d) The sound of bees in the lilac bushes.
10. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
(a) Papa will have to go to war.
(b) Pearl Harbor has been bombed.
(c) Hilly is dead.
(d) The Germans are bound to attack.
11. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
(a) The yellow.
(b) The black.
(c) The green.
(d) The red.
12. Where does Lark hide when it's time to go to confession?
(a) In Mama's car.
(b) At home under her crib.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In Papa's truck.
13. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) To better times ahead.
(b) To the three witches.
(c) To Christmas.
(d) To a new house.
14. What dessert does Papa insist he wants for supper on the evening after Hilly's funeral?
(a) Raisin pie.
(b) Chocolate ice cream.
(c) Chocolate cake.
(d) Nut bread.
15. Where does Beverly live by this point in the story?
(a) Above the cafe.
(b) In a tarpaper shack .
(c) Near the hobo jungle.
(d) At the depot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
2. How much is Lark's allowance?
3. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
4. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
5. What color is the dress Mrs. Stillman is wearing when Lark arrives at her house?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)