|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lark's reaction when Papa slaps her?
(a) She bites him.
(b) She gets ready to go.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She slaps him back.
2. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
(a) The Germans are bound to attack.
(b) Pearl Harbor has been bombed.
(c) Papa will have to go to war.
(d) Hilly is dead.
3. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(a) A comb.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A hanky.
4. Why does Lark ask Mama to read the story of Peggy and the Pansies?
(a) She hasn't heard it in a long time.
(b) She hasn't heard it before.
(c) It reminds her of Hilly.
(d) It makes her think of the new house.
5. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
(a) He was killed in the war.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) He was killed by a train.
(d) He caught measles.
6. What does Mrs. Stillman invite Lark to do?
(a) Visit as often as she likes.
(b) Spend the night.
(c) Have a long, hot bath.
(d) Go to the movies.
7. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
(a) A flag and photo of Hilly in his uniform.
(b) A large spray of flowers with three flags in it.
(c) A red, white and blue blanket that had been Hilly's favorite.
(d) A photo of a flag.
8. What does Mama say she'll give Papa after he gives her the tickets to California?
(a) An apology.
(c) The five hundred dollars to pay off his gambling debts.
(d) Her car.
9. What does Papa tell Lark she has to do before Mass?
(a) Prepare for confession.
(b) Study her catechism.
(c) Wash her hair.
10. What does Mama say might happen to ruin her business?
(a) The government will limit the amount of gas people can buy.
(b) The government will require that women work in factories.
(c) The government will require more taxes.
(d) The government will limit how many cars a family can own.
11. What is the prize Mama wins during the drawing at the theater?
(a) A complete outfit from a department store.
(b) A set of China.
(c) Free movie passes for a year.
(d) Two hundred, fifty dollars.
12. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
(a) To bed
(b) To the theater
(c) To the pool hall
(d) To the diner
13. How does Lark say she knows that the young prince went to Heaven after committing suicide?
(a) She saw the young prince in a dream.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) She read it in the Bible.
(d) She heard Jesus and God arguing, and Jesus won.
14. What color is the dress Mrs. Stillman is wearing when Lark arrives at her house?
15. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
(a) He didn't go to hell.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) He went into limbo.
(d) He did go to hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two gifts are given to Lark on her last day at school?
2. What is Hilly wearing in Lark's dream?
3. What does Lark ask God to do before she goes to bed that night?
4. What kind of lessons is Lark taking?
5. What is the rank of the mysterious man who attends Hilly's funeral?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)