|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
(a) He went into limbo.
(b) He didn't go to hell.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) He did go to hell.
2. What does Beverly say when Lark says she's moving to California?
(a) She feels sorry for Lark.
(b) Lark shoudl refuse to go.
(c) She'd be happy to go in Lark's place.
(d) Lark won't be happy there.
3. What color is the dress Mrs. Stillman is wearing when Lark arrives at her house?
4. What does Aunt Betty give the hobo in addition to the food and milk?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) A quarter.
(c) A warmer coat.
(d) A pair of socks.
5. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Baking for the funeral.
(b) Sewing curtains.
(c) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(d) Planning their new house.
6. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) To Christmas.
(b) To a new house.
(c) To better times ahead.
(d) To the three witches.
7. What does Lark say her name is as she approaches Mama and Aunt Betty?
(a) Lark Ann Browning Erhardt.
(b) Myrna Loy.
(c) Sally Ann.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
8. How does Lark say she knows that the young prince went to Heaven after committing suicide?
(a) She doesn't say.
(b) She heard Jesus and God arguing, and Jesus won.
(c) She read it in the Bible.
(d) She saw the young prince in a dream.
9. What is the gift Mama has for Mrs. Stillman?
(a) A brooch.
(b) A book.
(c) A robe.
(d) A hatpin.
10. How did Hilly die?
(a) He fell from his balcony.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) A neighbor shot him.
(d) He was accidentally hanged.
11. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
(a) He caught measles.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He was killed by a train.
12. Where does Mama say she plans to go?
(a) Back to her mother's.
(d) Blue Lake.
13. When does Mama go to play bridge?
(a) Whenever her friends call.
(b) The second Saturday of every month.
(c) Every second Friday.
(d) Every Friday.
14. What does Mama have in her hand when she and Papa get into an argument?
(a) A knife.
(b) A skillet.
(d) A bottle of ketchup.
15. Where does Beverly live by this point in the story?
(a) In a tarpaper shack .
(b) Near the hobo jungle.
(c) Above the cafe.
(d) At the depot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
2. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
3. What do Lark and her Mama do the night before Lark's first Communion?
4. Why does Lark ask Mama to read the story of Peggy and the Pansies?
5. What does Mama leave for Papa and Lark when she goes to play bridge?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)