|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Lark's responsibilities in return for her allowance?
(a) Typing .
(b) Helping her father take tickets in the afternoons.
(d) Performing whatever chores her mother outlines on a daily note.
2. What is the sound Lark describes as she's in the church awaiting her first Communion?
(a) The sound of church bells.
(b) The sound of bees in the lilac bushes.
(c) The sound of rustling dresses.
(d) The sound of silence.
3. What does Mama have in her hand when she and Papa get into an argument?
(b) A knife.
(c) A bottle of ketchup.
(d) A skillet.
4. What does Mama say her marriage was like?
(a) Like having a wild cat in her pocket.
(b) Like having a elephant sitting on her chest.
(c) Like having a hippopotamus sitting on her face.
(d) Like having a giraffe in her car.
5. How does Lark say she knows that the young prince went to Heaven after committing suicide?
(a) She read it in the Bible.
(b) She saw the young prince in a dream.
(c) She heard Jesus and God arguing, and Jesus won.
(d) She doesn't say.
6. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
(a) She sends it with her mother.
(b) She drops it off herself.
(c) She mails it.
(d) She leaves it on the doorstep.
7. What does Lark watch while Mrs. Stillman is talking to her guest?
(a) A neighbor shoveling snow.
(d) Snow falling.
8. What kind of coat is Papa wearing when he goes outside the morning after Mama comes to look for him?
(a) He's not wearing one.
(b) A brown one with a hood.
(c) A blue one that's too light for the cold weather.
(d) A green one with a brown collar.
9. What does she say about that kind of jelly bean?
(a) It's her father's favorite.
(b) Someone told her they are the most sophisticated flavor.
(c) Neither of her parents like them.
(d) It's her mother's favorite.
10. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Go for a rid in the country.
(c) Take naps.
(d) Go swimming.
11. How much is Lark's allowance?
(a) Fifteen cents a week.
(b) A dollar a week.
(c) A nickle a week.
(d) A quarter a week.
12. What does Mama say she'll give Papa after he gives her the tickets to California?
(a) The five hundred dollars to pay off his gambling debts.
(b) Her car.
(d) An apology.
13. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Planning their new house.
(b) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(c) Sewing curtains.
(d) Baking for the funeral.
14. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(b) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
(c) She's afraid he's gambling.
(d) She's afriad he's drinking.
15. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
(a) Beverly's mother.
(c) Aunt Betty.
(d) Lark's Mama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
2. How does Mama get the Christmas tree home?
3. What two gifts are given to Lark on her last day at school?
4. What does Mama look for in her purse?
5. What does Lark look for in her purse?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)