|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Stillman's guest, who hurt Hilly?
(a) Willy Erhardt.
(b) Uncle Stan.
(c) Axel Nelson.
(d) Mr. Wheeler.
2. What is Lark's reaction when Papa slaps her?
(a) She slaps him back.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She gets ready to go.
(d) She bites him.
3. What does Mama make for Sally, Beverly, and Lark as they study catechism at Lark's house?
(a) Hot milk and chocolate pie.
(b) Tea and ginger snaps.
(c) Coffee with milk and chocolate cookies.
(d) Cocoa and cinnamon toast.
4. What is the gift Lark and Mama take Hilly and Mrs. Silliman?
(a) A book.
(b) Jell-o salad.
(c) A drawing.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
5. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
(a) He didn't go to hell.
(b) He went into limbo.
(c) He did go to hell.
(d) She doesn't know.
6. Where does Beverly live by this point in the story?
(a) In a tarpaper shack .
(b) Above the cafe.
(c) Near the hobo jungle.
(d) At the depot.
7. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Baking for the funeral.
(b) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(c) Sewing curtains.
(d) Planning their new house.
8. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
(a) The green.
(b) The red.
(c) The yellow.
(d) The black.
9. Where does Lark hide when it's time to go to confession?
(a) At home under her crib.
(b) In Papa's truck.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In Mama's car.
10. How does Lark get a letter to Hilly?
(a) She mails it.
(b) She sends it with her mother.
(c) She drops it off herself.
(d) She leaves it on the doorstep.
11. How does Lark say she knows that the young prince went to Heaven after committing suicide?
(a) She heard Jesus and God arguing, and Jesus won.
(b) She read it in the Bible.
(c) She doesn't say.
(d) She saw the young prince in a dream.
12. What does Lark ask God to do before she goes to bed that night?
(a) Let Hilly visit her.
(b) Make Papa more tolerant.
(c) Keep her safe.
(d) Help them get the new house.
13. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
(a) Papa will have to go to war.
(b) The Germans are bound to attack.
(c) Hilly is dead.
(d) Pearl Harbor has been bombed.
14. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Go fishing.
(c) Go for a rid in the country.
(d) Take naps.
15. What is the sound Lark describes as she's in the church awaiting her first Communion?
(a) The sound of church bells.
(b) The sound of silence.
(c) The sound of rustling dresses.
(d) The sound of bees in the lilac bushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
2. What is the gift Mama has for Mrs. Stillman?
3. What are Lark's responsibilities in return for her allowance?
4. What does Lark watch while Mrs. Stillman is talking to her guest?
5. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)