|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papa eating as Lark prepares to go outside, carrying her sin notebook with her?
(b) Apple crumb cake.
(c) Blueberry pie and ice cream.
(d) A bologna sandwich.
2. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) Two hundred, fifty dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Eighty dollars.
3. Which is Lark's favorite jelly bean?
4. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
(a) To the diner
(b) To bed
(c) To the pool hall
(d) To the theater
5. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) To the three witches.
(b) To a new house.
(c) To better times ahead.
(d) To Christmas.
6. What does Papa say the bombing of Pearl Harbor means
(a) Many families will be without their fathers.
(b) The Germans will be attacked too.
(c) The Japanese probably lost many men.
(d) The country will go to war.
7. What does Lark watch while Mrs. Stillman is talking to her guest?
(a) Snow falling.
(b) A neighbor shoveling snow.
8. How much is Lark's allowance?
(a) Fifteen cents a week.
(b) A dollar a week.
(c) A quarter a week.
(d) A nickle a week.
9. How long does Papa say Aunt Betty can stay with them?
(a) As long as she wants.
(b) A week.
(c) A year.
(d) She can't stay at all.
10. What dessert does Papa insist he wants for supper on the evening after Hilly's funeral?
(a) Nut bread.
(b) Chocolate cake.
(c) Raisin pie.
(d) Chocolate ice cream.
11. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(a) A quarter.
(c) A comb.
(d) A hanky.
12. What does Mama say might happen to ruin her business?
(a) The government will limit the amount of gas people can buy.
(b) The government will require that women work in factories.
(c) The government will limit how many cars a family can own.
(d) The government will require more taxes.
13. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
(a) He did go to hell.
(b) He went into limbo.
(c) He didn't go to hell.
(d) She doesn't know.
14. What does Mama make for Sally, Beverly, and Lark as they study catechism at Lark's house?
(a) Coffee with milk and chocolate cookies.
(b) Hot milk and chocolate pie.
(c) Tea and ginger snaps.
(d) Cocoa and cinnamon toast.
15. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Baking for the funeral.
(b) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(c) Planning their new house.
(d) Sewing curtains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the present Mama brings Lark from one of her trips?
2. According to Mama, who picked the tablecloth used at the dinner after Hilly's funeral?
3. What does Aunt Betty ask for as soon as she wakes from her fever?
4. When does Mama go to play bridge?
5. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)