|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) To Christmas.
(b) To better times ahead.
(c) To the three witches.
(d) To a new house.
2. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Take naps.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go for a rid in the country.
3. What is Papa eating as Lark prepares to go outside, carrying her sin notebook with her?
(a) Blueberry pie and ice cream.
(c) A bologna sandwich.
(d) Apple crumb cake.
4. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
(a) The yellow.
(b) The black.
(c) The green.
(d) The red.
5. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
(a) A flag and photo of Hilly in his uniform.
(b) A large spray of flowers with three flags in it.
(c) A red, white and blue blanket that had been Hilly's favorite.
(d) A photo of a flag.
6. Where does Lark and Mama go when Mama takes a week's vacation?
(b) To Lark's grandparents' house.
(c) The ocean.
(d) To look for Uncle Stan.
7. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(b) She's afraid he's gambling.
(c) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
(d) She's afriad he's drinking.
8. What does Lark watch while Mrs. Stillman is talking to her guest?
(b) A neighbor shoveling snow.
(d) Snow falling.
9. Where is Sally when Lark comes out of the confessional after her practice?
(a) She's entering the confessional.
(b) She's in the front pew.
(c) She's at the altar.
(d) She's gone.
10. What is the gift Mama has for Mrs. Stillman?
(a) A robe.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A hatpin.
(d) A book.
11. What does Lark say her little girl likes to read?
(a) Comic books.
(b) Teen magazines.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Nancy Drew.
12. What kind of lessons is Lark taking?
(c) Tap dance.
13. How did Hilly die?
(a) He was accidentally hanged.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) A neighbor shot him.
(d) He fell from his balcony.
14. What two words does Lark say have an ominous ring of finality?
(a) Taxes and confession.
(b) Confession and death.
(c) Death and divorce.
(d) Divorce and taxes.
15. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
(a) Mrs. Wheeler.
(b) Beverly's mother.
(c) Mrs. Nelson.
(d) Lark's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama have in her hand when she and Papa get into an argument?
2. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
3. What does Lark look for in her purse?
4. Why does Lark ask Mama to read the story of Peggy and the Pansies?
5. What does Lark say her name is as she approaches Mama and Aunt Betty?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)