|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama say might happen to ruin her business?
(a) The government will require that women work in factories.
(b) The government will limit the amount of gas people can buy.
(c) The government will require more taxes.
(d) The government will limit how many cars a family can own.
2. What does Grandpa give Lark as she is about to board the train?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A letter.
(c) A deck of cards to play with on the train.
3. What is the sound Lark describes as she's in the church awaiting her first Communion?
(a) The sound of church bells.
(b) The sound of silence.
(c) The sound of bees in the lilac bushes.
(d) The sound of rustling dresses.
4. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
(b) While Mama is playing bridge.
(c) Whenever Papa has a break from work.
(d) On Saturday mornings.
5. Where does Mama say she plans to go?
(c) Blue Lake.
(d) Back to her mother's.
6. What is Lark's reaction when Papa slaps her?
(a) She slaps him back.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She gets ready to go.
(d) She bites him.
7. What does Lark get for her seventh birthday?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A swimming pool.
(c) Roller skates.
(d) Nail polish.
8. What is painted on the ends of Lark's crib?
9. Where does Lark tell Mama she's going?
(b) Blue Lake.
10. What does Lark look for in her purse?
(a) A comb.
(b) A barrette.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A quarter.
11. What does Aunt Betty give the hobo in addition to the food and milk?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) A pair of socks.
(c) A warmer coat.
(d) A quarter.
12. What does Papa say the bombing of Pearl Harbor means
(a) The Germans will be attacked too.
(b) The country will go to war.
(c) Many families will be without their fathers.
(d) The Japanese probably lost many men.
13. What do Lark and her Mama do the night before Lark's first Communion?
(a) Read the catechism lessons.
(b) Make pies.
(c) Look at the book of house plans.
14. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
(a) Papa will have to go to war.
(b) Hilly is dead.
(c) Pearl Harbor has been bombed.
(d) The Germans are bound to attack.
15. When does Mama go to play bridge?
(a) Every Friday.
(b) Whenever her friends call.
(c) The second Saturday of every month.
(d) Every second Friday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark say her little girl likes to read?
2. How much does Papa need to pay off his gambling debts?
3. Where does Beverly live by this point in the story?
4. What does Papa have in his hand when he rushes at Mama?
5. What does she say about that kind of jelly bean?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)