|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of coat is Papa wearing when he goes outside the morning after Mama comes to look for him?
(a) A blue one that's too light for the cold weather.
(b) A brown one with a hood.
(c) A green one with a brown collar.
(d) He's not wearing one.
2. What had Lark imagined living behind the jars in Grandma's cupboard?
(a) A rat.
(b) A dragon.
(c) A fairy.
(d) A gnome.
3. What does Beverly say when Lark says she's moving to California?
(a) She'd be happy to go in Lark's place.
(b) Lark won't be happy there.
(c) She feels sorry for Lark.
(d) Lark shoudl refuse to go.
4. What is painted on the ends of Lark's crib?
5. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afriad he's drinking.
(b) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(c) She's afraid he's gambling.
(d) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
6. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
(a) A flag and photo of Hilly in his uniform.
(b) A large spray of flowers with three flags in it.
(c) A red, white and blue blanket that had been Hilly's favorite.
(d) A photo of a flag.
7. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
(a) On Saturday mornings.
(c) Whenever Papa has a break from work.
(d) While Mama is playing bridge.
8. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
(a) To the theater
(b) To the diner
(c) To the pool hall
(d) To bed
9. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
(a) Lark's mother.
(b) Mrs. Wheeler.
(c) Mrs. Nelson.
(d) Beverly's mother.
10. Where is Sally when Lark comes out of the confessional after her practice?
(a) She's in the front pew.
(b) She's entering the confessional.
(c) She's gone.
(d) She's at the altar.
11. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(a) A comb.
(b) A hanky.
(c) A quarter.
12. Where does Lark and Mama go when Mama takes a week's vacation?
(a) The ocean.
(b) To Lark's grandparents' house.
(c) To look for Uncle Stan.
13. What two gifts are given to Lark on her last day at school?
(a) An autograph book and a diary.
(b) A jump rope and a set of jacks..
(c) Hair ribbons and a brush set.
(d) A pair of house slippers and a box of chocolates.
14. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
(a) The yellow.
(b) The green.
(c) The black.
(d) The red.
15. What does Mama say her marriage was like?
(a) Like having a hippopotamus sitting on her face.
(b) Like having a giraffe in her car.
(c) Like having a elephant sitting on her chest.
(d) Like having a wild cat in her pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mama, who picked the tablecloth used at the dinner after Hilly's funeral?
2. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
3. What does Lark look for in her purse?
4. Whom does Mrs. Stillman say she plans to visit?
5. What does Mama leave for Papa and Lark when she goes to play bridge?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)