|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mama say she plans to go?
(a) Back to her mother's.
(d) Blue Lake.
2. What is the prize Mama wins during the drawing at the theater?
(a) Free movie passes for a year.
(b) A set of China.
(c) Two hundred, fifty dollars.
(d) A complete outfit from a department store.
3. Where does Lark and Mama go when Mama takes a week's vacation?
(a) To Lark's grandparents' house.
(c) To look for Uncle Stan.
(d) The ocean.
4. What act does Lark perform with Father Delias after the Communion?
(a) She kisses his cheek.
(b) She gives him a sprig of lilac.
(c) She curtsies.
(d) She kisses the back of his hand.
5. When does Lark study the catechism with Papa?
(a) While Mama is playing bridge.
(b) Whenever Papa has a break from work.
(d) On Saturday mornings.
6. What does Mama say her marriage was like?
(a) Like having a elephant sitting on her chest.
(b) Like having a wild cat in her pocket.
(c) Like having a giraffe in her car.
(d) Like having a hippopotamus sitting on her face.
7. What does Beverly say when Lark says she's moving to California?
(a) Lark won't be happy there.
(b) Lark shoudl refuse to go.
(c) She feels sorry for Lark.
(d) She'd be happy to go in Lark's place.
8. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
(a) A photo of a flag.
(b) A flag and photo of Hilly in his uniform.
(c) A red, white and blue blanket that had been Hilly's favorite.
(d) A large spray of flowers with three flags in it.
9. What does Grandpa give Lark as she is about to board the train?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A deck of cards to play with on the train.
(d) A letter.
10. What is the gift Lark and Mama take Hilly and Mrs. Silliman?
(a) A drawing.
(b) Jell-o salad.
(c) A book.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
11. Why does Mama go out looking for Papa in the very early hours of Saturday morning?
(a) She's afraid he's gambling.
(b) She's afraid he might have had a heart attack.
(c) She's afraid he's had a wreck.
(d) She's afriad he's drinking.
12. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(a) A quarter.
(c) A hanky.
(d) A comb.
13. How much is Lark's allowance?
(a) A quarter a week.
(b) A dollar a week.
(c) Fifteen cents a week.
(d) A nickle a week.
14. What do Mama, Aunt Betty, and Lark do the afternoon after attending Mass?
(a) Go for a rid in the country.
(b) Go fishing.
(c) Take naps.
(d) Go swimming.
15. What does Lark ask God to do before she goes to bed that night?
(a) Let Hilly visit her.
(b) Keep her safe.
(c) Make Papa more tolerant.
(d) Help them get the new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
2. What two words does Lark say have an ominous ring of finality?
3. What does Mama leave for Papa and Lark when she goes to play bridge?
4. Where does Lark tell Mama she's going?
5. What kind of candy does Mama take from Lark?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)