|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Betty ask for as soon as she wakes from her fever?
(b) Chicken soup.
(c) Ice cream.
2. What is the toast Mama proposes after they finish decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) To a new house.
(b) To Christmas.
(c) To better times ahead.
(d) To the three witches.
3. What does Papa say the bombing of Pearl Harbor means
(a) The country will go to war.
(b) The Germans will be attacked too.
(c) Many families will be without their fathers.
(d) The Japanese probably lost many men.
4. Where does Mama say she plans to go?
(c) Back to her mother's.
(d) Blue Lake.
5. What does Lark sometimes do while her mother is making business calls in St. Bridget?
(a) Reads in the car.
(b) Swims at the pool.
(c) Visits her grandparents.
(d) Watches movies.
6. What is Hilly wearing in Lark's dream?
(a) His new robe.
(b) Torn blue jeans.
(c) His army uniform.
(d) His swimming trunks.
7. What is at the top of Lark's Christmas list?
(a) A new robe.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A pony.
8. What is on top of Hilly's casket?
(a) A photo of a flag.
(b) A large spray of flowers with three flags in it.
(c) A flag and photo of Hilly in his uniform.
(d) A red, white and blue blanket that had been Hilly's favorite.
9. Whom does Mrs. Stillman say she plans to visit?
(a) Hilly at the cemetery.
(b) A cousin in California.
(c) A friend in Colorado.
(d) A friend of Hilly's in Blue Lake.
10. What does Mama say she'll give Papa after he gives her the tickets to California?
(a) An apology.
(b) Her car.
(d) The five hundred dollars to pay off his gambling debts.
11. What does Mama look for in her purse?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A comb.
(d) A hanky.
12. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
(a) Beverly's mother.
(b) Aunt Betty.
(d) Lark's Mama.
13. What does Lark watch while Mrs. Stillman is talking to her guest?
(a) A neighbor shoveling snow.
(d) Snow falling.
14. How long does Papa say Aunt Betty can stay with them?
(a) A year.
(b) She can't stay at all.
(c) As long as she wants.
(d) A week.
15. When does Mama go to play bridge?
(a) Every Friday.
(b) The second Saturday of every month.
(c) Every second Friday.
(d) Whenever her friends call.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which kind of jelly bean does Lark eat first?
2. According to Mrs. Stillman's guest, who hurt Hilly?
3. What is the prize Mama wins during the drawing at the theater?
4. Where does Lark sit during Mass?
5. What does Lark get for her seventh birthday?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)