|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stillman invite Lark to do?
(a) Spend the night.
(b) Have a long, hot bath.
(c) Visit as often as she likes.
(d) Go to the movies.
2. Why does Lark ask Mama to read the story of Peggy and the Pansies?
(a) It makes her think of the new house.
(b) It reminds her of Hilly.
(c) She hasn't heard it before.
(d) She hasn't heard it in a long time.
3. What does Aunt Betty ask for as soon as she wakes from her fever?
(b) Chicken soup.
(c) Ice cream.
4. What is Aunt Betty's answer when Lark asks if she believes Hilly went to hell?
(a) He did go to hell.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) He didn't go to hell.
(d) He went into limbo.
5. What does Mama make for Sally, Beverly, and Lark as they study catechism at Lark's house?
(a) Coffee with milk and chocolate cookies.
(b) Hot milk and chocolate pie.
(c) Cocoa and cinnamon toast.
(d) Tea and ginger snaps.
6. What does Papa tell Lark she has to do before Mass?
(a) Prepare for confession.
(b) Study her catechism.
(d) Wash her hair.
7. Where does Grandpa go after supper?
(a) To the theater
(b) To bed
(c) To the pool hall
(d) To the diner
8. What dessert does Papa insist he wants for supper on the evening after Hilly's funeral?
(a) Raisin pie.
(b) Chocolate cake.
(c) Nut bread.
(d) Chocolate ice cream.
9. Where does Lark tell Mama she's going?
(a) Blue Lake.
10. What is the news Mama has after she buys the roast in town?
(a) Papa will have to go to war.
(b) Hilly is dead.
(c) The Germans are bound to attack.
(d) Pearl Harbor has been bombed.
11. What color is the coat Mama wears as she heads out to play bridge?
(a) Blueberry colored.
(b) Wine colored.
(c) Raspberry colored.
(d) Apricot colored.
12. What does Aunt Betty say she'd been doing during the day while Lark was at school?
(a) Planning their new house.
(b) Sewing curtains.
(c) Making flower arrangements for the funeral.
(d) Baking for the funeral.
13. What does Mama say might happen to ruin her business?
(a) The government will limit the amount of gas people can buy.
(b) The government will require that women work in factories.
(c) The government will require more taxes.
(d) The government will limit how many cars a family can own.
14. What does Lark say happened to her little girl's best friend?
(a) He was killed by a train.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He caught measles.
15. Who is visiting Mrs. Stillman when Lark arrives?
(a) Lark's mother.
(b) Mrs. Nelson.
(c) Mrs. Wheeler.
(d) Beverly's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the present Mama brings Lark from one of her trips?
2. According to Mrs. Stillman, who came to visit while Lark napped?
3. Whom does Mrs. Stillman say she plans to visit?
4. What is painted on the ends of Lark's crib?
5. What color are the tickets eligible to win at the theater's drawing?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)