|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mama say they'll get money for a house?
(a) She says she doesn't know but will think of something.
(b) She says she'll sell shoes to earn money.
(c) She says Papa will win it at poker.
(d) She says it's just a dream that won't ever come true.
2. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
(a) It burns.
(b) It doesn't get warm.
(c) It's toasted just right.
(d) It barely gets warm.
3. What is the skill Beverly has that she shares with Lark?
(c) Making sandcastles.
4. What is the feature of the Cape Ann that Lark says Mama will turn into a sewing room?
(a) The den.
(b) The breakfast nook.
(c) The extra bedroom.
(d) The enclosed garage.
5. What does Papa do to Lark's mashed potatoes?
(a) Uses his fork to break the dam she's built.
(b) Pours salt on them.
(d) Pours milk on them.
6. What is the nickname Mama hates?
(a) Norma Jeana.
7. What does Mama do when Lark and Sally go to her with leeches?
(a) Pulls them off quickly then gives the girls bandages to cover the wounds.
(b) Uses a match to make them fall off.
(c) Tells the girls to stay out of the water.
(d) Puts salt on them and brushes them off.
8. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
(a) A sandwich and a soda.
(b) A hanky and her ticket.
(c) A doll and a clean sweater.
(d) Her sin notebook and her bedtime book.
9. What is Mr. McPhee wearing when he talks with Lark at the depot?
(a) The book doesn't say.
(b) A short-sleeved shirt and coveralls.
(c) Striped overalls.
(d) Faded blue jeans.
10. How much education does Papa have?
(a) He never attended.
(b) He completed tenth grade.
(c) He graduated college.
(d) He graduated high school.
11. Who lives in the upstairs portion of the depot?
(a) No one.
(b) Art Bigelow and his wife.
(c) Lark and her family.
(d) Mrs. Bea, a widow.
12. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
(a) She thinks they look pretty.
(b) So her high heels won't disturb Aunt Betty.
(c) Because her feet are cold.
(d) She wants to be comfortable.
13. What does the German neighbor say when Lark returns her sheet?
(a) She hadn't expected them back so quickly.
(b) Thank you.
(c) They are folded wrong.
(d) They aren't her sheets.
14. How much does Lark learn Aunt Betty pays in monthly rent?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) She doesn't pay rent.
(c) Eighty dollars.
(d) Forty dollars.
15. What skill does Mama say she's going to learn in order to find a job?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lark sing while she's washing Aunt Betty's dishes?
2. What time does Mama tell Lark to go to bed?
3. What kind of trees are in the front yard at Grandma and Grandpa's house?
4. What does Papa say he plans to do after dinner?
5. What is Papa's job at the depot?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)