|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama say she wants to occur by next year?
(a) Carpenters to be working on a house for the family.
(b) A new baby.
(c) A new car.
(d) New shoes for Lark.
2. What is the name of Mrs. Grubb's dog?
3. What is Aunt Betty's condition Thursday afternoon?
(a) She grows feverish.
(b) She gets much better and gets out of bed.
(c) She begins vomiting blood.
(d) She feels well enough to sit up and read.
4. What is Grandma ironing while Mama reads a Life magazine at the kitchen table?
(a) Lark's red dress.
(b) Grandpa's best shirt.
(c) Aunt Betty's new dress.
(d) Grandpa's undershirts.
5. Where does Aunt Betty live?
(a) Mount Pleasant.
(d) Morgan Lake.
6. What smell does Lark say is better than any other?
(c) Mama's perfume.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
7. What does Beverly's father do for a living?
(a) He's a traveling salesman.
(b) He's a clerk at the depot.
(c) He's a janitor at the school..
(d) He's gone.
8. How much money does Papa say he lost?
(a) Eight dollars he'd found in Mama's purse.
(b) Twenty-five dollars he borrowed from Stan.
(c) Four hundred fifty dollars.
(d) Nothing becuase he didn't have any money.
9. How many words per minute does Mama say she wants to be able to type?
10. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
(a) Waiting at the kitchen table.
(b) Sleeping in a chair.
(c) Waiting on the depot steps.
(d) Sleeping in bed.
11. What does Lark get from Mr. Boomer?
(a) A soda.
(b) A chocolate ice cream.
(c) A jawbreaker.
(d) A piece of pie.
12. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
(a) She wants to be comfortable.
(b) She thinks they look pretty.
(c) Because her feet are cold.
(d) So her high heels won't disturb Aunt Betty.
13. What color are the German neighbor woman's eyes?
(b) The story doesn't say.
14. What job does the lady on the train say she has?
(a) She works at a radio station.
(b) She's a secretary.
(c) She's a nurse.
(d) She works in a depot.
15. Which of the following is not part of the dinner the family shares as the story opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mama thrown at Papa once when he called her a hated nickname?
2. What skill does Mama say she's going to learn in order to find a job?
3. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
4. When does Maria say she'll come visit Aunt Betty?
5. How does Lark get to the depot as she's headed for her grandparents' home?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)