|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ice cream does Papa buy for Lark?
(d) Rocky Road.
2. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
(a) It burns.
(b) It barely gets warm.
(c) It's toasted just right.
(d) It doesn't get warm.
3. What does Lark call the German woman who lives next door to Aunt Betty?
(a) Witch Hazel.
(b) Witch Kraus.
(c) Wanda McClure.
(d) Wanda Kraus.
4. What treat does Lark find in the cupboard after Mama leaves?
(a) A jawbreaker.
(b) A Hershey bar.
(c) A slice of pie.
(d) A soda.
5. What is Papa doing as the story opens?
(a) Drawing house plans.
(b) Playing poker.
(c) Working .
(d) Reading the paper.
6. Why does Mama say Grandma Browning can't stay with Aunt Betty?
(a) She has a broken ankle.
(b) She is already staying with another sick relative.
(c) She is too old to make the trip.
(d) She doesn't have money for the trip.
7. What skill does Mama say she's going to learn in order to find a job?
8. What is Grandma ironing while Mama reads a Life magazine at the kitchen table?
(a) Grandpa's undershirts.
(b) Lark's red dress.
(c) Grandpa's best shirt.
(d) Aunt Betty's new dress.
9. Which of the following ingredients does Mama say she would never put in a pie?
10. What is the name of Mrs. Grubb's dog?
11. Where does Mama say Uncle Stan is going when he leaves the house?
(a) The train station.
(b) The church.
(c) The tavern.
(d) The back yard.
12. What does Maria say about Lark's belief regarding Marjorie?
(a) Lark shouldn't think about it.
(b) She baptized the baby.
(c) Not everything Lark has learned in church is true.
(d) Lark is correct.
13. What does Uncle Stanly say after Lark kisses him on the cheek?
(a) He hopes she can be a good girl.
(b) He won't wash his cheek until they meet again.
(c) He'll keep her picture close until they meet again.
(d) He forgives her for her role in Marjorie's death.
14. What time does Mama tell Lark to go to bed?
(a) Nine o'clock.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) Eight o'clock.
(d) Whenever Papa says.
15. How long does Uncle Stan sit with Aunt Betty the first night he's home?
(a) Three hours.
(b) He doesn't sit with her at all.
(c) All night.
(d) Thirty minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it decided that Stan will go to look for work?
2. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
3. What kind of soup does Mr. Wendell give Lark?
4. What had Mama thrown at Papa once when he called her a hated nickname?
5. Where is Aunt Betty when Lark and Mama arrive at her house?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)