|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lark have in her hand after the train leaves the station?
(a) A hanky and her ticket.
(b) Her sin notebook and her bedtime book.
(c) A sandwich and a soda.
(d) A doll and a clean sweater.
2. What does Mama do when Lark and Sally go to her with leeches?
(a) Tells the girls to stay out of the water.
(b) Uses a match to make them fall off.
(c) Puts salt on them and brushes them off.
(d) Pulls them off quickly then gives the girls bandages to cover the wounds.
3. Where does Lark believe Marjorie Ann went after her death?
(b) To Jesus' side.
4. What does Lark eat the morning Mama and Aunt Betty fight about calling the doctor?
(a) Spice cake.
(b) A piece of chicken.
(d) Buttered bread.
5. What is the errand on which Mr. McPhee takes Lark?
(a) Delivering freight brought to town by the train.
(b) Delivering pastries cooked by a local woman.
(c) Delivering groceries from the store.
(d) Delivering mail from the mail truck.
6. What night do Grandma and Grandpa Browning arrive at Aunt Betty's?
7. What is Sally's attitude during the ride back to her house?
(a) She's hateful, telling her mother to stop crying.
(b) She's sullen and sits in the floorboard.
(c) She's cheerful, trying to make her mother stop crying.
(d) She's crying, pleading with her mother to stop crying.
8. What game do Lark and her mother play while her mother is cooking supper?
(a) Twenty Questions.
(c) I Spy.
(d) Lady Caller.
9. How much does Lark discover her father lost at the poker game?
(a) A hundred and forty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) A thousand dollars.
(d) Twelve dollars.
10. Where does Papa take Lark to spank her?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) In back of the depot.
(d) In the depot office.
11. What does Uncle Stanly say after Lark kisses him on the cheek?
(a) He hopes she can be a good girl.
(b) He'll keep her picture close until they meet again.
(c) He forgives her for her role in Marjorie's death.
(d) He won't wash his cheek until they meet again.
12. What does Beverly's father do for a living?
(a) He's a traveling salesman.
(b) He's a janitor at the school..
(c) He's a clerk at the depot.
(d) He's gone.
13. In the letter Lark finds in the Hobo Jungle, to whom is Earl Samson writing?
(a) Mr. Johnson.
14. What kind of soup does Mr. Wendell give Lark?
(b) Chicken noodle.
15. Which of the following is not part of the dinner the family shares as the story opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the event for which Lark sells tickets?
2. What smell does Lark say is better than any other?
3. What is Lark's middle name?
4. What does the German neighbor say when Lark returns her sheet?
5. What happens to the bread Mama tries to toast on the stove?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)