|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lark get to the depot as she's headed for her grandparents' home?
(a) Uncle Stan drives her.
(b) Mr. McPhee picks her up.
(c) She walks.
(d) Mama takes her.
2. What is the event for which Lark sells tickets?
(a) Rotary chicken dinner.
(b) A church bingo party.
(c) Knights of Columbus picnic.
(d) A church spaghetti supper.
3. How does Mama say they'll get money for a house?
(a) She says she'll sell shoes to earn money.
(b) She says she doesn't know but will think of something.
(c) She says it's just a dream that won't ever come true.
(d) She says Papa will win it at poker.
4. What does Uncle Stanly say after Lark kisses him on the cheek?
(a) He forgives her for her role in Marjorie's death.
(b) He hopes she can be a good girl.
(c) He won't wash his cheek until they meet again.
(d) He'll keep her picture close until they meet again.
5. Where does Mama say Uncle Stan is going when he leaves the house?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The tavern.
(c) The church.
(d) The train station.
6. How much does Lark discover her father lost at the poker game?
(a) Twelve dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) A hundred and forty dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
7. What is Mama doing when Lark and Papa arrive home?
(a) Sleeping in bed.
(b) Waiting on the depot steps.
(c) Waiting at the kitchen table.
(d) Sleeping in a chair.
8. What is Grandma ironing while Mama reads a Life magazine at the kitchen table?
(a) Aunt Betty's new dress.
(b) Grandpa's undershirts.
(c) Lark's red dress.
(d) Grandpa's best shirt.
9. What does Lark think is the best part of the annual parade?
(a) The veterans.
(b) The majorettes.
(c) The cars with sirens.
(d) The boys on bicycles.
10. What kind of ice cream does Papa buy for himself?
(c) Rocky Road.
11. What game do Lark and her mother play while her mother is cooking supper?
(a) Twenty Questions.
(b) Lady Caller.
(d) I Spy.
12. Why does Lark get a spanking from Papa?
(a) For biting her nails.
(b) For making a "D" in Communion Class.
(c) For disobeying Mama.
(d) For kicking Mrs. Grubb's dog.
13. What kind of robe does Lark wear when she goes with her father to play poker?
(a) Pink chenille.
(b) Yellow chenille.
(c) Yellow satin.
(d) Pink satin.
14. What job does the lady on the train say she has?
(a) She works in a depot.
(b) She's a secretary.
(c) She works at a radio station.
(d) She's a nurse.
15. Why does Mama put on bedroom slippers?
(a) Because her feet are cold.
(b) She wants to be comfortable.
(c) So her high heels won't disturb Aunt Betty.
(d) She thinks they look pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Mr. Easterly say he will deliver the groceries?
2. Where is Aunt Betty when Lark and Mama arrive at her house?
3. What color are the German neighbor woman's eyes?
4. Where does Lark sleep?
5. Who lives in the upstairs portion of the depot?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)