|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the town in the Prioress's Tale is Jewish?
(a) About 25%.
(b) About 50%.
(c) Nearly 75%.
(d) Less than 10%.
2. How does the merchant's wife offer to repay her loan?
(a) By doing one favor at any time.
(b) In bed.
(c) With love.
(d) By leaving the merchant.
3. Who tells the Tale of Melibee?
(a) The Narrator.
(b) The speaker is not known.
(c) The Host.
4. Who does Cecilia warn her new husband about?
(a) Her guardian angel.
(d) Her father.
5. What is the tone of the Parson's Tale?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the speaker of Chaucer's Retraction?
2. Who tells the Tale of Sir Topas?
3. Who does the canon in the Yeoman's Tale borrow a mark from?
4. What do the Canon and the Yeoman do?
5. Who is the focus of the Shipman's Tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a man is Phoebus in the Manciple's Tale?
2. Why does the Knight interrupt the Monk's Tale?
3. How does the Prioress emphasize the idea that the boy in her tale is a victim?
4. How is the merchant's wife able to buy the clothes she wants?
5. Why does the Host interrupt Chaucer's telling of the Tale of Sir Topas?
6. What is the common moral in the Monk's tragedies?
7. What is common in the books Chaucer retracts?
8. What does the Pardoner admit about himself in his Prologue?
9. What is the parallel between the Canon's Yeoman's Prologue and his Tale?
10. Why does Virginius kill his daughter?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)