|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the speaker of Chaucer's Retraction?
(a) The Narrator.
(c) The speaker is not named.
(d) The Host.
2. Who interrupts the Tale of Sir Topas?
(a) The Miller.
(b) The Host.
(c) Several of the pilgrims.
(d) The Monk.
3. Who directs the boy's mother to where his body has been cast in the Prioress's Tale?
(a) No one.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(d) One of the Jewish boys.
4. Where does the Manciple's Tale begin?
(b) A faraway land.
(d) The forest.
5. Who approaches the group after the Second Nun's Tale?
(a) The Host's wife.
(b) The Manciple.
(c) The Parson.
(d) The Canon and the Yeoman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Virginius kill Virginia?
2. Who is Sir John?
3. Why does the Host use as many medical terms as he can when speaking to the Physician after his tale?
4. What color are the crow's feathers after Phoebus replaces them?
5. What do the Canon and the Yeoman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the common moral in the Monk's tragedies?
2. What is a possible reason Chaucer writes his retraction?
3. What is the parallel between the Prioress's Prologue and her Tale?
4. What is common in the books Chaucer retracts?
5. What is the moral the Canon's Yeoman is trying to get across?
6. Why is it fitting that the journey ends with the Parson's Tale?
7. What is the style of the Nun's Priest's Tale?
8. What about the Shipman's Tale suggests that Chaucer originally intended the story to be told by a female character?
9. What is different about the Parson's Tale in comparison to the rest of the pilgrims' tales?
10. What is the twist at the end of the Pardoner's Tale?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)