|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Cook's name?
(c) He is not named.
2. Who wants to marry Lady Constance?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The Sultan.
(c) The Sultan's son.
(d) Lady Constance's cousin.
3. Why does Dorigen contemplate suicide?
(a) Aurelius completed the task she challenged him with.
(b) Arveragus has been killed in battle.
(c) Aurelius gets her pregnant.
(d) She becomes ill.
4. Why does the Summoner say the Friar's Tale is well documented?
(a) Because no friar was known to be in the company of angels.
(b) Because even Chaucer wrote on friars.
(c) Because he knows many friar who have made deals with devils.
(d) Because friars are often in the company of demons.
5. How many children does the king in the Squire's Tale have?
(c) The exact number is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives has the Wife of Bath had?
2. Who is released from prison?
3. Who interrupts the Squire's tale?
4. How long does Lady Constance roam at sea?
5. What does the king in the Clerk’s Tale forge in order to pretend to be free from his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Host ask the Clerk to tell a tale after the Summoner's Tale?
2. What concern does the Friar have about the Wife of Bath's Tale?
3. How do the townspeople react to the situation after John crashes through the ceiling?
4. Why are the characters in the Franklin's Tale rewarded?
5. What is the point the Summoner makes about friars with the anecdote in his Prologue?
6. Why is the friar in the Summoner's Tale ironic?
7. How are the summoner and the yeoman both bailiffs?
8. Why can there be no real determination of the outcome of the Cook's Tale?
9. What is the basis of the Reeve's story? Why is this the basis for the story?
10. What could be considered controversial about the Wife of Bath's Tale?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)