|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of his debt can Aurelius pay?
(a) Nearly all.
(b) Less than half.
2. Where is the Narrator going?
(d) The town is not given.
3. Why does the king in the Squire’s Tale order a celebration?
(a) For his twentieth wedding anniversary.
(b) For the twentieth anniversary of his reign.
(c) For his daughter's twentieth birthday.
(d) For the birth of his twentieth child.
4. What is the Narrator's name?
(a) Sir Gawain.
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(c) Sir Topas.
(d) The Narrator's name is not given.
5. Why does the Priest refuse to tell the next story?
(a) He is offended by the Host's swearing.
(b) He wants to hear the Shipman's tale.
(c) He will not participate in non-Christian contests.
(d) He is praying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the friars in the vision from the Summoner's Prologue?
2. What does Thomas's wife want the friar to preach to Thomas about?
3. Who employs the summoner in The Friar's Tale?
4. Who helps the knight answer the question?
5. Who speaks out on the knight's behalf to change his punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the knight's quest to find what women most desire?
2. Why is it fitting for the Squire to begin the tale that he does?
3. How do the townspeople react to the situation after John crashes through the ceiling?
4. Why is the Knight's Tale fitting for his character?
5. Why are Palamon and Arcite jealous of each other when Arcite is released from the tower?
6. How are the summoner and the yeoman both bailiffs?
7. What could be considered controversial about the Wife of Bath's Tale?
8. Why is the friar in the Summoner's Tale ironic?
9. According to the Clerk's Prologue, what is the method for telling a good story?
10. Why does January say he wants to marry? Why does he likely really want to marry?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)