|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the Host ask to speak after the Knight's Tale?
(a) The Prioress.
(b) The Wife of Bath.
(c) The Monk.
(d) The Nun's Priest.
2. Where did the Wife of Bath meet Jankyn?
(a) On her birthday.
(b) At her fourth husband's funeral.
(c) On a pilgrimage.
(d) In church.
3. What is the question the knight must answer?
(a) What is love?
(b) What do women most desire?
(c) What is the key to happiness?
(d) What is happiness?
4. Who helps the knight answer the question?
(a) An old, ugly woman.
(b) The queen.
(c) Another knight.
(d) Venus, the goddess of love.
5. What kind of language does the Host use to ask the Man of Law to tell his tale?
(c) Legal language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the friars in the vision from the Summoner's Prologue?
2. Who will determine the best tale in the contest?
3. Why is the Narrator on his journey?
4. What does the Miller say his tale is about?
5. What does Absalom get from the blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chaucer have the Franklin interrupt the Squire only to compliment him?
2. What could be considered controversial about the Wife of Bath's Tale?
3. Why is the Knight's Tale fitting for his character?
4. How do the townspeople react to the situation after John crashes through the ceiling?
5. Why are Palamon and Arcite jealous of each other when Arcite is released from the tower?
6. What is the purpose of the General Prologue?
7. Why does the Man of Law tell a story he heard once before?
8. Why are the pilgrims confused by the Merchant's Tale?
9. Why does the Host come up with the storytelling contest?
10. What is the point the Summoner makes about friars with the anecdote in his Prologue?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)