|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who employs the summoner in The Friar's Tale?
(a) A priest.
(b) A mayor.
(c) An archdeacon.
(d) A bishop.
2. Who asks the Clerk to tell the next story?
(a) The Narrator.
(b) The Summoner.
(c) The Shipman.
(d) The Host.
3. Why is the Narrator on his journey?
(a) He is competing in a knights' tournament.
(b) He is going to visit family.
(c) He is looking for work.
(d) He is on a religious pilgrimage.
4. In the Clerk’s Tale, how does the king's charade end?
(a) His wife is kidnapped by an enemy king.
(b) His wife dies of heartache.
(c) The king confesses that it was all a test.
(d) The king marries his daughter.
5. How does the Summoner react to the Friar's Tale?
(a) He expresses no opinion about it.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He finds it funny.
6. Where does the apprentice cook work?
(d) On a ship.
7. What does Dorigen see that makes her nervous about her husband's safety?
(a) A tournament.
(b) Smoke in the distance.
(c) Rocks on the shore.
(d) A map.
8. Who does January marry?
9. Who is planning to attack the Christians at the wedding feast?
(a) The Sultan's mother.
(b) The Sultan's brother.
(c) The Sultan's men.
(d) The Sultan.
10. What kind of tale does the Friar offer to tell?
(a) A tale about a summoner.
(b) A tale about authority.
(c) A tale about scripture.
(d) A comedic tale.
11. Why does the Franklin interrupt the Squire?
(a) To compliment him.
(b) To insult him.
(c) To ask a question.
(d) To start a debate with the Miller.
12. What is the standard punishment for the knight's crime?
13. Who sleeps with the miller's wife?
(a) The miller.
(c) The manciple.
14. How many husbands does the Wife of Bath consider “good?”
(b) None of them.
(d) All of them.
15. What is different about the Wife of Bath's Prologue?
(a) It is only one sentence.
(b) It is in song.
(c) It is not told by the Wife of Bath.
(d) It is very long.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Reeve feel the way he does about the Miller's Tale?
2. What kind of language does the Host use to ask the Man of Law to tell his tale?
3. Who curses the summoner?
4. What does the Squire ask to be excused for?
5. Who is released from prison?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)