|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shifts does Alexander work the Macedonians as they climb the Rock of Chorienes?
2. What gives stability to the bridge that Alexander is building to cross the river?
3. Where does Alexander experience a flash flood?
4. What do the Macedonians fill the ravine in the Rock of Chorienes with as they climb?
5. What is the result of the alternate route that Alexander takes to the Indian Ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alexander cross the Indus River?
2. What action does Alexander take while visiting the tomb of Cyrus?
3. What points does Coenus make in favor of stopping the campaign and returning home?
4. How is Alexander injured while fighting the Mallians?
5. How does Alexander tackle the Rock of Chorienes?
6. What idea causes Callisthenes to challenge Alexander?
7. How do Alexander and the Macedonians begin their trip to the Indian Ocean, and what impression do they make on the Indians?
8. What is significant about the town of Cyropolis?
9. What costly mistake does Alexander make at Gedrosia?
10. Why does Alexander want to take the Rock of Sogdiana, and what do the natives on top of the rock tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Macedonians face the elements of nature on their campaigns. Explain the events at the Rock of Chorienes and the Rock of Aornos. Include the landscapes of both rocks, the reasonings for the strategies used to take each of them, and the reactions of the natives to the climbs of the Macedonian army. In addition, analyze the losses sustained when traveling through the desert and the monsoons on the way to Gedrosia.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal leads to the replacement and murder of Darius as Alexander approaches the Persians again.
1) Explain how Bessus betrays Darius to become the self-proclaimed leader of the Persians.
2) Describe Darius' death and Alexander's response to it.
3) Explain why the Persians betray Bessus and how he is captured by the Macedonians. 4) Analyze the role of the Scythians, how they are defeated, and Alexander's actions in Bessus' capture and execution.
Essay Topic 3
Alexander's early death has caused many theories to surface.
1) Describe the warning that Alexander receives on his way back to Babylon and his response to it.
2) Explain the events leading up to Alexander's death.
3) Analyze the possible theories about the cause of Alexander's death, which one is the most plausible, and how Alexander the Great will most likely be remembered.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)