|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives stability to the bridge that Alexander is building to cross the river?
2. What is the largest town that Alexander has resistance from, and the town that is populated by the Scythians?
3. What is the weather like on the night before the Macedonians cross the river while battling Porus?
4. How does Alexander deal with the resistance he encounters on the way to the Indian Ocean after recovering from his injury?
5. What do the Macedonians pour on the back of the elephants during the battle with Porus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Alexander take while visiting the tomb of Cyrus?
2. On the way to Gedrosia, what happens to some of the Macedonian army and the animals in the desert?
3. How do Alexander and the Macedonians begin their trip to the Indian Ocean, and what impression do they make on the Indians?
4. How does Alexander cross the Indus River?
5. What points does Coenus make in favor of stopping the campaign and returning home?
6. What takes place when Alexander encounters Porus' son?
7. What omen does Alexander ignore before facing the Scythians and what is the result of their battle?
8. What happens at the Rock of Aornos?
9. How does Alexander tackle the Rock of Chorienes?
10. How does Alexander respond to Coenus' speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rock of Sogdiana is taken by the Macedonians, sending a signal to the world of their dominance.
1) Describe the Rock of Sogdiana and why it is considered a big challenge for the Macedonians.
2) Explain the actions of the natives on top of the Rock of Sogdiana before, during, and after the Macedonians reach the top of the mountain.
3) Analyze the tactics that the Macedonians use to climb the Rock of Sogdiana and surprise the enemy.
Essay Topic 2
Explain both offers that Darius makes to Alexander in his attempts to regain his royal family. Also, include Alexander's responses to the offers, his treatment of the royal family, and explain why he continues to pursue Darius after he has been defeated.
Essay Topic 3
The second battle between the Macedonians and the Persians takes place at Gaugamela. 1) Describe the preparations and strategies made by the Macedonian army and the Persian army before their second battle.
2) Explain the battle of Gaugamela, the gains and setbacks of the Macedonians, and the eventual outcome of the battle.
3) Analyze Darius' actions after the battle including why Alexander must stop chasing him in order to return to the battlefield.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)