|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What temple is a source of refuge for a town's population as Alexander battles to secure Egypt?
2. Where is the oracle of Ammon that Alexander visits located?
3. As Alexander approaches, where does Darius move his troops?
4. How many Getae troops have gathered on the opposite bank of Pine Island as Alexander attempts to land?
5. Which tactic does Alexander use to defeat the Thracians in their first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Alexander crowned the Pharaoh, and what happens when he visits the oracle of Ammon?
2. What trouble does Alexander overcome while passing through the Persian Gates?
3. What is the Gordian knot and how does Alexander deal with it?
4. What happens when Darius and Alexander meet for the second time?
5. How do the Macedonians pass through the Syrian Gates, and what weakness does Alexander correct before facing Darius and the Persians?
6. What threat does Glaucias pose to Alexander and how do the Macedonians attempt to take the town of Pelium?
7. How is Darius betrayed and killed?
8. What is the author's intention in "The Campaigns of Alexander", and what challenge does he make to the reader?
9. Where does the second battle between the Macedonians and the Persians take place, and what preparations are made for it?
10. What is the second offer that Darius makes to Alexander and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second battle between the Macedonians and the Persians takes place at Gaugamela. 1) Describe the preparations and strategies made by the Macedonian army and the Persian army before their second battle.
2) Explain the battle of Gaugamela, the gains and setbacks of the Macedonians, and the eventual outcome of the battle.
3) Analyze Darius' actions after the battle including why Alexander must stop chasing him in order to return to the battlefield.
Essay Topic 2
The Macedonians vs. The Persians at Issus is the first battle between Alexander and Darius.
1) Explain how the Macedonians pass through the Syrian Gates on their way to Darius and the Persians.
2) Analyze the preparations made by both the Macedonians and the Persians before their first battle at Issus.
3) Describe the events at Issus, the actions of Alexander and Darius, and the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
A battle with the Mallians and a disagreement with the Macedonians wounds Alexander in different ways.
1) Describe the battle with the Mallians, how Alexander is wounded, and the way he chooses to recover.
2) Explain the events at Opis, and the Macedonians' and Alexander's responses to them.
3) Analyze Alexander's actions as well as the reaction from the Macedonians.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)