|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Thrace located?
2. How are the sides matched in the battle between Alexander and Darius?
3. How many Getae troops have gathered on the opposite bank of Pine Island as Alexander attempts to land?
4. What type of talents does the town of Aspendus offer to Alexander after surrendering?
5. Which river does Alexander cross before battling the Getae army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident occurs when the Uxians attempt to interfere with Alexander's plans to pass through the Persian Gates?
2. What questionable actions does Alexander take at Thebes?
3. How does Alexander surprise the Getae army and what happens during their battle?
4. What offer does Darius make to Alexander after losing the first battle?
5. What is the second offer that Darius makes to Alexander and how does he respond?
6. How does Alexander assume the crown of Macedon?
7. Where is Alexander crowned the Pharaoh, and what happens when he visits the oracle of Ammon?
8. What is the first thing that Alexander does once he becomes the ruler of Macedon, and how does the city of Athens respond?
9. What is the warning that Alexander receives while he is ill during the march from Asia to Tarsus, and how does he respond?
10. Where does Alexander chase Bessus, and how is Bessus captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Alexander's speech and Coenus' speech as the decision is made to return home and end the campaign. Use the book as a reference to form an analysis of why Coenus' speech was so effective, the points he makes during it, and Alexander's manipulative response to it.
Essay Topic 2
While crossing the Hydaspes River, Alexander meets Porus, and a new rivalry begins.
1) Describe the battle between the Macedonians and Porus' son.
2) Explain what happens when Alexander battles Porus and the Indians, the strategies of both armies, and the results of the battle.
3) Compare Porus with Darius looking at how both choose to handle defeat at the hands of the Macedonians.
Essay Topic 3
The Macedonians vs. The Persians at Issus is the first battle between Alexander and Darius.
1) Explain how the Macedonians pass through the Syrian Gates on their way to Darius and the Persians.
2) Analyze the preparations made by both the Macedonians and the Persians before their first battle at Issus.
3) Describe the events at Issus, the actions of Alexander and Darius, and the results of the battle.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)