|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alexander encounter Darius and his refortified army?
2. How does Alexander respond to Darius' suggestion that Alexander should marry Darius' daughter?
3. Which northwest town rebels against Alexander after his battle with Glaucias?
4. Where does Alexander order his fleet to sail as he makes his way to Heliopolis?
5. What part of his army does Alexander reinforce before charging Darius' army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What threat does Glaucias pose to Alexander and how do the Macedonians attempt to take the town of Pelium?
2. What questionable actions does Alexander take at Thebes?
3. How do Alexander and the Macedonians win their first battle with the Thracians?
4. Where is Alexander crowned the Pharaoh, and what happens when he visits the oracle of Ammon?
5. What happens at Gaza and what overall strategy does Alexander have for his campaigns?
6. What happens in the battle between the Macedonians and the Persians at Issus?
7. What is the second offer that Darius makes to Alexander and how does he respond?
8. What is the Gordian knot and how does Alexander deal with it?
9. What trouble does Alexander overcome while passing through the Persian Gates?
10. What news does Alexander receive at Soli and how do the Macedonians celebrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander's early death has caused many theories to surface.
1) Describe the warning that Alexander receives on his way back to Babylon and his response to it.
2) Explain the events leading up to Alexander's death.
3) Analyze the possible theories about the cause of Alexander's death, which one is the most plausible, and how Alexander the Great will most likely be remembered.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Macedonians face the elements of nature on their campaigns. Explain the events at the Rock of Chorienes and the Rock of Aornos. Include the landscapes of both rocks, the reasonings for the strategies used to take each of them, and the reactions of the natives to the climbs of the Macedonian army. In addition, analyze the losses sustained when traveling through the desert and the monsoons on the way to Gedrosia.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the deaths of two Macedonians as they are murdered by Alexander, detailing his and their actions and words leading up to and following each event.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)