|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Alexander arrive in Thapsacus?
2. As Alexander approaches, where does Darius move his troops?
3. Where does Alexander order his fleet to sail as he makes his way to Heliopolis?
4. Where is Thrace located?
5. How many enemy casualties are there in Alexander's second battle with the Thracians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questionable actions does Alexander take at Thebes?
2. How does Alexander surprise the Getae army and what happens during their battle?
3. What threat does Glaucias pose to Alexander and how do the Macedonians attempt to take the town of Pelium?
4. What problem does Alexander face at the island of Tyre?
5. How does Alexander assume the crown of Macedon?
6. How does Alexander cross the Danube River and what obstacle stands in his way?
7. What does Alexander do at Pasargadae and why?
8. What is the warning that Alexander receives while he is ill during the march from Asia to Tarsus, and how does he respond?
9. How do the Macedonians pass through the Syrian Gates, and what weakness does Alexander correct before facing Darius and the Persians?
10. What happens when Darius and Alexander meet for the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A battle with the Mallians and a disagreement with the Macedonians wounds Alexander in different ways.
1) Describe the battle with the Mallians, how Alexander is wounded, and the way he chooses to recover.
2) Explain the events at Opis, and the Macedonians' and Alexander's responses to them.
3) Analyze Alexander's actions as well as the reaction from the Macedonians.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the circumstances surrounding the controversial assassination of Philip of Macedon. Include the varying theories of who is responsible for the assassination and the implications of Philips' death for Macedon in general.
Essay Topic 3
As the new ruler of Macedon by default, Alexander begins building an army to conquer the world.
1) Describe how the Macedonian army is established, and the initial response from Athens at the time.
2) Explain the reasons for Alexander's choice of Thrace as the first target.
3) Analyze the way that Alexander and the Macedonians defeat the Thracians and the Triballians.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)