|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Alexander approaches, where does Darius move his troops?
2. In celebration of good news, what festivities does Alexander conduct?
(a) Music, archery contests, and poetry.
(b) Music, games, and poetry.
(c) Music, games, and archery contests.
(d) Games, archery contests, and poetry.
3. Who was Philip of Macedon's wife when he was assassinated?
4. How much resistance does Alexander encounter at Egypt?
(a) Moderate resistance.
(b) No resistance.
(c) Slight resistance.
(d) Heavy resistance.
5. When is Philip of Macedon assassinated?
(a) 446 B.C.
(b) 520 B.C.
(c) 220 B.C.
(d) 336 B.C.
6. How do the Macedonians kill the horses that lead the chariots of the Persian army in their second battle?
(a) With rocks.
(b) With their hands.
(c) With javelins.
(d) With arrows.
7. What does Alexander reportedly hear from the oracle?
(a) What he wants to hear.
(b) There is no record of what Alexander hears from the oracle.
(c) The opposite of what he wants to hear.
(d) Some of what he wants to hear and some of what he does not want to hear.
8. Which island does Alexander experience problems with while trying to secure Egypt?
(a) El Mina.
9. How many talents does Alexander seize from Darius' royal tent?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Two thousand.
(c) Three thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
10. What other name is Arrian, the author, known as?
11. How many talents is the town of Soli fined by Alexander?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
12. How do the Macedonians enter the second battle against Darius and the Persian army?
(a) They have more troops, but are not as well armed.
(b) They are outnumbered, but are better armed.
(c) They are outnumbered and not as well armed.
(d) They have more troops and are better armed.
13. How does Darius and the Persian army prepare to battle Alexander for the second time?
(a) They work to make the land uneven.
(b) They level the land.
(c) They build moats.
(d) They build giant spears from trees.
14. Which one of the following is not included in the list of things that J.R. Hamilton clarifies in the book's footnotes?
(a) Alexander's age during the battles.
(b) Names of places.
(c) Number of troops involved in battles.
15. How was Ammon first depicted?
(a) As a bull.
(b) As a walrus.
(c) As a cow.
(d) As a ram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexander looking for when he surveys the land before battling Darius for the second time?
2. Which river does Alexander cross before defeating Bessus?
3. Which northwest town rebels against Alexander after his battle with Glaucias?
4. How is Ammon later described?
5. What does Alexander do before engaging Darius?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)