|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which omen does Alexander pay attention to which leads him to render the Persian navy useless?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A lion.
(d) A hawk.
2. Which one of the following is not included in the list of things that J.R. Hamilton clarifies in the book's footnotes?
(b) Number of troops involved in battles.
(c) Names of places.
(d) Alexander's age during the battles.
3. How does Athens originally react to Alexander's plan to build an army?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They encourage it.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They resist it.
4. What is the city of Alexandria known as?
(a) The Pearl of Egypt.
(b) The Pearl of the Mediterranean.
(c) The Diamond of the Mediterranean.
(d) The Diamond of Egypt.
5. Where does Alexander's first Asian battle take place?
(a) The Araxes River.
(b) The Euphrates River.
(c) The Granicus River.
(d) The Tigris River.
6. As Alexander approaches, where does Darius move his troops?
7. Which sea does Alexander try to establish ports on after dealing with the knot in Gordium?
(a) The Sea of Crete.
(b) The Ionian Sea.
(c) The Aegean Sea.
(d) The Mediterranean Sea.
8. How many talents does Alexander seize from Darius' royal tent?
(a) Three thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Two thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
9. Which of Thrace's neighbors were involved in their second battle with Alexander?
10. After being arrested by a relative, when is Darius killed by his own troops?
(a) July of 330 B.C.
(b) June of 330 B.C.
(c) April of 340 B.C.
(d) July of 340 B.C.
11. What part of his army does Alexander reinforce before charging Darius' army?
(a) The middle.
(b) The right plank.
(c) The back.
(d) The left plank.
12. What is the knot that Alexander attempts to untie at Gordium called?
(a) The Great Knot of Asia.
(b) The Asian knot.
(c) The Great Knot of Gordian.
(d) The Gordian knot.
13. How far away is Sochi, when Alexander learns that Darius is there?
(a) One day away.
(b) One week away.
(c) Two weeks away.
(d) Two days away.
14. How does Alexander respond to Darius' suggestion that Alexander should marry Darius' daughter?
(a) He refuses it.
(b) He accepts it.
(c) He agrees to think about it.
(d) He ignores it.
15. Where does Alexander encounter Darius and his refortified army?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alexander when he takes the throne of Macedon?
2. What is Alexander looking for when he surveys the land before battling Darius for the second time?
3. What other name is Arrian, the author, known as?
4. How long has the Persian Empire been trying to conquer Greece when Alexander builds an army to attack it?
5. Where does Alexander order his fleet to sail as he makes his way to Heliopolis?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)