|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Alexander arrive in Thapsacus?
2. How does Darius and the Persian army prepare to battle Alexander for the second time?
(a) They build moats.
(b) They build giant spears from trees.
(c) They level the land.
(d) They work to make the land uneven.
3. What does Alexander reportedly hear from the oracle?
(a) There is no record of what Alexander hears from the oracle.
(b) The opposite of what he wants to hear.
(c) What he wants to hear.
(d) Some of what he wants to hear and some of what he does not want to hear.
4. Which omen does Alexander pay attention to which leads him to render the Persian navy useless?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A lion.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A tiger.
5. Which sea does Alexander try to establish ports on after dealing with the knot in Gordium?
(a) The Mediterranean Sea.
(b) The Ionian Sea.
(c) The Sea of Crete.
(d) The Aegean Sea.
6. Which ancestors is Alexander trying to outdo?
(a) Heracles and Perseus.
(b) Perseus and Achilles.
(c) Heracles and Achilles.
(d) Heracles, Perseus, and Achilles.
7. According to the legend, what happens to a person if they can untie the knot at Gordium?
(a) They will never be hungry again.
(b) They will receive ten years of good luck.
(c) They will become the ruler of Asia.
(d) They will be rewarded with gold.
8. Where does Alexander dispatch his troops to retrieve Darius' treasure after the battle?
9. What river is Thapsacus located near?
(a) The Atbara.
(b) The Euphrates.
(c) The Tigris.
(d) The Nile.
10. How many of Alexander's men are killed in the second battle with the Thracians?
(a) Seventy five.
(b) Forty five.
(c) Sixty five.
(d) Fifty five.
11. Which northwest town rebels against Alexander after his battle with Glaucias?
12. Which of the following is not included in the description of the scenery surrounding the shrine of Ammon?
(a) Desert oasis.
(b) Date palms.
(c) Olive trees.
(d) Wild berry bushes.
13. When is Philip of Macedon assassinated?
(a) 520 B.C.
(b) 336 B.C.
(c) 446 B.C.
(d) 220 B.C.
14. Which river does Alexander cross before battling the Getae army?
15. Where does Alexander encounter Darius and his refortified army?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the list of things that J.R. Hamilton clarifies in the book's footnotes?
2. Which island does Alexander experience problems with while trying to secure Egypt?
3. Which of Thrace's neighbors were involved in their second battle with Alexander?
4. What is Alexander looking for when he surveys the land before battling Darius for the second time?
5. Why does Alexander fine the town of Soli?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)