|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the Persian Empire been trying to conquer Greece when Alexander builds an army to attack it?
(a) One year.
(c) One month.
2. Where is Thrace located?
(a) East of Macedonia.
(b) South of Macedonia.
(c) North of Macedonia.
(d) West of Macedonia.
3. Which authors does Arrian challenge readers to read in order to verify the information he is presenting?
(a) Ptolemy and Aristobulus.
(b) Ptolemy and Archilochus.
(c) Simonides and Archilochus.
(d) Simonides and Aristobulus.
4. When does Alexander arrive in Thapsacus?
5. How wide is the battlefield between the Mediterranean Sea and the coastal mountains where Alexander and Darius meet?
(a) One to three miles.
(b) Two to three miles.
(c) One to two miles.
(d) Two to four miles.
6. After Alexander defeats the Getae people, what does he do to their town?
(a) He ridicules it.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He renames it.
7. Which of the following is not included in the description of the scenery surrounding the shrine of Ammon?
(a) Date palms.
(b) Olive trees.
(c) Wild berry bushes.
(d) Desert oasis.
8. How high are the earthworks that Alexander must build in his sieges against Gaza?
(a) Fifty feet.
(b) Thirty feet.
(c) Sixty feet.
(d) Forty feet.
9. Where does Alexander march through in his conquering Asian campaign?
10. Where is Alexander crowned the Pharaoh?
11. What does Alexander reportedly hear from the oracle?
(a) What he wants to hear.
(b) Some of what he wants to hear and some of what he does not want to hear.
(c) There is no record of what Alexander hears from the oracle.
(d) The opposite of what he wants to hear.
12. When is Philip of Macedon assassinated?
(a) 220 B.C.
(b) 446 B.C.
(c) 336 B.C.
(d) 520 B.C.
13. What other name is Arrian, the author, known as?
14. How far away is Sochi, when Alexander learns that Darius is there?
(a) One day away.
(b) One week away.
(c) Two days away.
(d) Two weeks away.
15. How does Alexander respond to Darius' suggestion that Alexander should marry Darius' daughter?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He agrees to think about it.
(c) He refuses it.
(d) He accepts it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river is Thapsacus located near?
2. What does Alexander do before engaging Darius?
3. What happens to Alexander after he takes the healing potion?
4. How many miles does the Getae army retreat after Alexander attacks them?
5. As mentioned in the book, what are some of the accounts of Alexander's visit with the oracle provided by other historians considered?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)