|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the merchant at the local store promise Eileen?
2. Of whom is Russell said to be an enemy?
3. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
4. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
5. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Russell wakes in the night, and what does he do in the morning?
2. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
3. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
4. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
5. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
6. Who does Eileen meet at the store, and what is his reaction to her story about the gold?
7. Why does Sean waken Mariana while they are on the trail and what does he tell her?
8. What do the voices say about Russell?
9. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
10. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
Essay Topic 3
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)