|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who covers Eileen and the others' tracks?
2. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
3. Why do Machado's men believe there are more to Sean's group than they thought?
4. What catches Eileen's eye as Juan is sleeping?
5. Why is Eileen distraught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Russell leave the cave?
2. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
3. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
4. What occurs when Eileen and Sean stop at a local merchant's store?
5. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
6. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
7. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
8. Who arrives at the party unexpectedly and how does he make Sean jealous?
9. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
10. What happens when Eileen goes to wake up Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Californios" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Californios" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)