|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks the others when Eileen returns to them?
2. What idea does Eileen share with Sean?
3. What catches Eileen's eye as Juan is sleeping?
4. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
5. What sounds are coming from the hills?
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios", like many western novels, involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Wooston, who is a known murderer, is at all tragic? Why or why not?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Californios" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "The Californios" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written as serious literary fiction versus fiction that is solely written for entertainment? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Californios" a successful novel? What about those in academe?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes a book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Louis L'Amour.
2. What in Louis L'Amour's background may have helped him in writing "The Californios"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)