Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
3. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
5. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Californios" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "The Californios" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written as serious literary fiction versus fiction that is solely written for entertainment? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Californios" a successful novel? What about those in academe?
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "The Californios" is successful as a western novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Louis L'Amour's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)