|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sean become jealous?
2. What is Juan careful to do?
3. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
4. Who tells Sean about Russell?
5. What does Russell find when he follows some tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
2. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
3. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
4. What happens when Russell wakes in the night, and what does he do in the morning?
5. How many men does Sean observe who are after them and what is Montero doing?
6. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
7. Who arrives at the party unexpectedly and how does he make Sean jealous?
8. What happens that makes Russell leave the cave?
9. Why does Sean waken Mariana while they are on the trail and what does he tell her?
10. What happens to Russell after he leaves the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
Essay Topic 2
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Answer one of the following in an essay:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss L'Amour's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does L'Amour use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)