|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean tell Machado?
2. Why does Sean become jealous?
3. Why is Sean hunting?
4. What city is described as a pueblo with a few adobes, a church a few stores and cantinas?
5. What does Russell find when he follows some tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Russell and Francisco doing in the mountains, and why does Francisco anger Russell?
2. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
3. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
4. What is the situation at the ranch when Eileen and the others arrive back there?
5. What is Russell's appearance and explanation when he arrives at the fandango?
6. What does Silva tell Wooston that angers Wooston, and what concerns Machado and Russell?
7. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
8. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
9. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
10. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of themes that run as a thread throughout "The Californios". Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Trace the development of the theme of superstition. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of how the idea of superstition informs the entire novel.
2. Trace the development of the theme of greed. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of how greed seems to be more a part of the predominant culture of the United States versus that of native cultures.
3. Trace the development of the theme of violence. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis as to why this theme is central to the novel's plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)