|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Francisco in the mountains?
2. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
3. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
4. Who covers Eileen and the others' tracks?
5. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sean waken Mariana while they are on the trail and what does he tell her?
2. What is the situation at the ranch when Eileen and the others arrive back there?
3. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
4. Who arrives at the party unexpectedly and how does he make Sean jealous?
5. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
6. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
7. What are Russell and Francisco doing in the mountains, and why does Francisco anger Russell?
8. What happens when Russell wakes in the night, and what does he do in the morning?
9. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
10. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios", like many western novels, involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Wooston, who is a known murderer, is at all tragic? Why or why not?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Machado is on somewhat friendly terms with Sean Mulkerin by the end of the book. What other situations contain irony in "The Californios"?
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "The Californios:. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "The Californios" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Californios" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "The Californios" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written as serious literary fiction versus fiction that is solely written for entertainment? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Californios" a successful novel? What about those in academe?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)