Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
3. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
5. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
Essay Topic 1
Answer one of the following in an essay:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss L'Amour's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does L'Amour use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 2,236 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)