|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a voice declare about Russell?
2. What does Pico know about Eileen?
3. Who laughs at Sean?
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
5. Why is Sean hunting?
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios", like many western novels, involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Wooston, who is a known murderer, is at all tragic? Why or why not?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Californios" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sean Mulkerin What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Eileen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Zeke Wooston. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 2,209 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)