|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Russell find when he follows some tracks?
2. What is the trail from Los Angeles to Malibu like?
3. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
4. What idea does Eileen share with Sean?
5. How much gold does Juan say there is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
2. Who does Eileen meet at the store, and what is his reaction to her story about the gold?
3. What is Russell's appearance and explanation when he arrives at the fandango?
4. What is the situation at the ranch when Eileen and the others arrive back there?
5. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
6. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
7. What happens when Russell wakes in the night, and what does he do in the morning?
8. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
9. How many men does Sean observe who are after them and what is Montero doing?
10. Who arrives at the party unexpectedly and how does he make Sean jealous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Californios" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)