Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
3. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
5. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "The Californios" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "The Californios"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "The Californios" to discuss and compare a characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes a book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Louis L'Amour.
2. What in Louis L'Amour's background may have helped him in writing "The Californios"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)