Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
3. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
5. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "The Californios" is successful as a western novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Louis L'Amour's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Californios" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Californios" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 2,236 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)