|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wooston want to take Russell away?
2. How does Russell feel as he is leaving the cave?
3. Who arrives at the party?
4. Why is Sean worried about Wooston?
5. What does Russell find in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
2. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
3. What happens when Eileen goes to wake up Juan?
4. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
5. What happens to Russell after he leaves the cave?
6. What is the situation at the ranch when Eileen and the others arrive back there?
7. What does Eileen order at the store and why?
8. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
9. Why does Sean waken Mariana while they are on the trail and what does he tell her?
10. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "The Californios", questions that most readers may want to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the L'Amour's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss L'Amours' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of L'Amour and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)