|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
2. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
3. What is Juan careful to do?
4. Who will not take orders from a woman?
5. Who arrives at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Californios" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Californios" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "The Californios", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (xposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements of "The Californios". (They may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
This section contains 2,203 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)